Finally! The adventure begins!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ok, back to the original spirit of the thread. Walker Bay 8 seems to be a capable dinghy so far. I have rowed it in to the marina twice now (maybe 300 yards one way) and it does fine with two people in it, even upwind.

Here's a pic of sunrise after our first night out:
IMG_20180316_072502524.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congratulations @SFS on untying the lines. Thanks for sharing the beautiful sunset. May the seas be comfortable and the winds fill your sails on this next leg of your journey.

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
Hi @SFS , I'll enjoy reading about your trip. Looks like you are a few years down the road from us in terms of cruising and also projects to the boat. On your list of things you've done, I've already ticked off a number of them, but you're way ahead of me still. I'm fascinated you put in a water maker on a H31, that's something I would like to do as well, but we'll see.

As far as the furling breaking in your first couple days, I suppose that is par for the course! cheers.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
@Manly, no watermaker here. The raw water pump mentioned in post #4 was engine cooling water. The accumulator on the fresh water pump also mentioned in post 4 was for potable water from the tank to the faucets (galley and head). It cuts down on the amount of time the pressure pump works.

You didn't ask for advice, but if you are moving towards cruising, spend as many overnights on the boat as possible before adding things. It helps cut down on the "wants" and clarify the "must haves". If your long term plans are to cruise full time, you'll want to know whether the boat itself works for you, and that's somewhat unrelated to the gear on board.

As an example, we don't sleep together on this boat, as the v-berth is too short. That could be a deal breaker for some folks.

Sure we'd love a centerline queen berth, but that will require a bigger boat and will have to wait until we formulate another list of must haves. And staying coastal for now means we can get by without a few things. We decided that we had to abide by "go simple, go small, but go now".

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Blowing hard here most of the day, but we just got a 3-minute break in the rain, so I snapped this:
IMG_20180320_192511852.jpg

There are 40 sailboats in this marina, and all day long I heard not a single halyard slap. Mostly liveaboards.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I heard not a single halyard slap
ahhhh the wonders of my in-mast furling.:pimp:

It helps cut down on the "wants" and clarify the "must haves"
Yep. We started looking at 28'. Then I figured ok, 34'?
Then... no way with out AC for summer sleeping.:badbad:
Gulp...
38':pray:
Nope, Son-in-Law said... "no way my Mom is going up on Deck for lowering the sails"

Finally OUR boat!
Jim...

PS: psstttt Dont tell the Admiral, but she doesn't argue about my fun upgrades, now.:p

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Blowing like stink today. PG has a free loaner bike program all over the city, so instead of walking back to the library, we grabbed bikes at the marina, and rode. My first time on a bicycle in probably 45 years, and it was a blast! Got to the library in no time, and will go exploring further a little later.

It sounds silly, but little things like this are what I hope to come across on this journey. Who would have thought that riding a bicycle would make a grown man laugh out loud? Plus, I can confirm that riding a bike is just like riding a bike. You don't forget!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Now for the rest of the story. We rode from the library to Walmart, about 25 minutes. PG is really flat, and I was pretty pleased with what was an easy ride. The return trip however, was a bear, into 20 mph winds, gusting to 30. Turns out that trash cans, placed into the luggage basket on bicycles, have a fair amount of wind resistance. I was not laughing as much when we got back to the boat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
So we left PG, and continued south, stopping for several nights in Pelican Bay, off Cayo Costa and the state park there. It was relatively crowded, but the Anchorage is so beautiful it was hard to care.

While we were in PG, I had a rigger drop by for a free consultation (first bonus point) on our furler issue. He showed up when he said he would (2nd bonus point) and after looking at the unit, agreed that if parts were available, it was fixable. He also said he would be happy to reinstall the drive after we rebuilt it, if we did not feel up to the task. He made sure I understood how to get the drive off, and warned me about an internal bushing that would be easy to lose (3rd bonus point). He also said he could sell me a whole new system (not Hood) for around the same price as Hood's upgrade pricing. His shop is in Ft. Myers, so when we decided having him install the drive would be a good idea, we told him we'd be down in the next week or so.

When we got to CC early on Friday afternoon, we took one last look at the furler to make sure our parts order would give us everything we needed. I'm glad we did, as we found the likely original point of failure, so one more part was needed. The bad news: Pompanette doesn't have one - they sold the last new one in existence last year. I text the rigger at about 5:30 (on a Friday afternoon) and left a message explaining that we were now at a decision point: head back to Tampa to sort out the parts issue in our home slip (which is paid for through the end of the month), or bite the bullet and put in a new system, in which case we continue on to Ft. Myers (or wherever). So I asked if he'd be willing to work up a price on a new system, as he mentioned. He responded (on a Friday evening! - bonus point 4), and wanted to know what part we needed. We told him, and he said he thought he might have some old Hood parts lying around the shop. He texted again later that evening, but with bad news. He couldn't find the unit he thought he had.

Saturday morning I checked the archives here, and found a potential lead on parts, so I sent off a PM, which was answered quickly. I talked to a poster here, who said he might have the part, but at his summer home, so he couldn't be sure for a couple of weeks. I sent pics, and he sounded hopeful that this was indeed the one part he saved (for someone else in my predicament). So we decide that parts are the way to go, and we relax.

Then I get a text. It's the rigger, on a Saturday! (bonus point 5), who tells me he has found the Hood 810 in his shop, and it seems to be complete and in pretty good shape. Spins freely, all the parts are there. So I ask THE question, and he says "just take it". (Uncountable bonus points awarded). We actually settle on paying him to install it, and beer money for the unit itself. Karen and I are thrilled, and once again we relax.

Monday morning, we set out for Ft. Myers. The GICW was pretty busy in the morning, with little caravans of 5 to 8 boats travelling together northbound. The first one we thought was odd, but by the time the fourth group came by at 25 knots, we decided that everyone was going home from a boat show. All of the boats looked new, and many had no name on the transoms. Lots of styles of boats, mostly 21 to 35 feet, and most of them had 6 to 10 people on them. Each group of boats was clearly travelling together, evenly spaced. It was strange.

Closer to Ft. Myers, it was simply a zoo. Boats everywhere, all sizes, and the guys generating the biggest wakes seemed to care the least. One good point, we caught the Miserable Mile at slack water.

We spent two nights at anchor across from the City of Ft. Myers yacht basin, and today we were on the free day dock there. We walked into town for groceries, and came back to await the rigger. While on the day dock here (a nice facility, with fuel, free pumpouts, and a nicely stocked ship's store), you can choose to pay $10 for access to the showers, laundry, and other facilities.

The rigger came by, and installed the "new" furler. Added bonus: we thought we were talking about just the drive unit, but we got a halyard swivel as well. Our swivel was still working, but needed a bushing. Scratch that off the list. Beer money was handed over in cash, and I'll be gettin an invoice for the rest via email. More bonus points.

So we've made some progress. We think we'll spend a couple more days here, then head further up the river, maybe as far as locking into Lake Okeechobee, and checking out Clewiston.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I spent third grade at the Beach School on Fort Myers Beach. That is/was a beautiful area.

Made the Caloosahachee crossing a number of times. There use to be a swinging bridge and when we waited about 10 min. for it to open, my father let me blow the horn again. Not knowing any better, I blew it 4 short blasts. We still waited another 5 minutes when finally, this bent-over skinny oldman walked slowly out to the middle of the bridge. He grabbed a long bar from the side railing and fit it into a spot in the center of the roadway. Then he proceeded to push it around in circles like an old sailor pressed into a chain gang on a capstand. The bridge swung slowly open as he paced around and around. I felt really bad for the guy.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Sounds like you have a great plan, and especially situational awareness-Nothing Makes for Most Dangerous situations than the _"Gotta Get There" mindset!
Enjoy the trip-Fair Winds!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Still in Ft. Myers. This is a pretty happening town. Lots of live music, theatre, and live comedy. Karla Bonoff was here last night, and several national music acts will be here in the next few weeks.

I was too lazy today to row the dinghy the 700 yards to the City marina. It was dead downwind one way, but the return would have been less fun. There is some current, as you might expect in a river, so with ferry angles included, it's a bit of a trip. We took the kayak in yesterday, which is Karen's preference, but I don't enjoy the water falling off the paddle onto me.

I did note with some amusement yesterday that she asked about an electric motor for the Walker Bay. I don't know why, as she does none of the rowing.

Cloudy here all day today, except for the most important 10 minutes:

IMG_20180331_195605977.jpg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
IMG_2371.jpg
Still in Ft. Myers. This is a pretty happening town. Lots of live music, theatre, and live comedy. Karla Bonoff was here last night, and several national music acts will be here in the next few weeks.

I was too lazy today to row the dinghy the 700 yards to the City marina. It was dead downwind one way, but the return would have been less fun. There is some current, as you might expect in a river, so with ferry angles included, it's a bit of a trip. We took the kayak in yesterday, which is Karen's preference, but I don't enjoy the water falling off the paddle onto me.

I did note with some amusement yesterday that she asked about an electric motor for the Walker Bay. I don't know why, as she does none of the rowing.

Cloudy here all day today, except for the most important 10 minutes:

View attachment 148224
We love the Walker Bay 8. With the inflatable collar, it will hold three adults or two adults and lots of gear, or children or what have you. It does row very nicely, but we have settled on a Torqeedo outboard. The Torqeedo has lots of benefits over a gas outboard, not the least of which is peace and quiet while cruising around the bay in the dinghy.
Enjoy your cruise. We left Englewood and cruised up the East Coast to Massachusetts in 2010. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip as much as we did ours.View attachment 148233

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
[QUOTE Karla Bonoff was here last night./QUOTE] :plus:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
When that happens, use the "edit" feature at the bottom of you post. You can go back and simply delete the redundant data.. then you can remove your apology post using the "delete" key in the same location. Finally, when you delete your article, it may ask you for a reason....but this is optional... the post will delete either way.
Thanks, Joe