Favorite yards for bottom paint and mast work

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Well - It's about time to repaint the bottom (my first time here) -- based on the last in water boat show in lake union - I'm leaning to CSR - by the locks. I'm in Everett - work I'm about

1) new bottom paint - don't know which
2) Pull mast - I want to put a wind direction/speed and new masthead light - with new electrical.
3) remove and glass over depth transducer - not 100% on this mostly cost based
4) blisters - get the worst ones if necessary.

recommendations for yards / paint ?? It would be nice not to have to go thru the locks or motor too far but willing if in general Seattle/Everett area so I can do mast work myself.

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Les, Everett Marina lets you do your own work while on the hard, plus there are companies nearby that have staff if you need help.

I've been using West Marine brand ablative paint that I purchased on sale that is good for several years, usually seven for our boat. I do my own bottom prep and painting applying two plus coats of ablative.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I've been using West Marine brand ablative paint that I purchased on sale that is good for several years, usually seven for our boat.
I'm impressed that you're getting seven years from West Marine paint which I'm assuming is:
West Marine CPP150 Specs.JPG

I 'm into my fourth year after applying two coats back in 2012. I was fully prepared to bottom paint this year and I still had complete coverage and only some algae. Previously, I had faithfully applied blue Micron CSC every two years when showing the first signs of wear through (showing the innermost black coat). I decided to use the CPP when CSC was up to $220.00/ gal. but with these results, it's CPP at any cost. Let's see if I can beat your seven years. This isn't the case everywhere but here in the PSW (your PNW), it works.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hi Ralph, two coats of that black ablative in 2004 and again in 2011. About due again. Each year I have a diver check things out, scrape mussels off the keel, a few barnacles from the bright work and install new zincs. Seems to work.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I use West Marine PCA Gold and get two yrs. tried three this last time and it didnt work. Heavy hair growth around waterline and slime that regrows in weeks even with boat in use. Have to say though, no barnies etc..

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I use West Marine PCA Gold and get two yrs. tried three this last time and it didnt work.
I can only say that CPP seems to be a harder ablative (lasts longer) and keeps the growth at bay as long as it's present. You're in our back yard so you should get similar results to Terry and myself.

May 20, 2016
Thanks Terry & Ralph. West Marine CPP it is. I'm not sure I'm up for applying the paint. Maybe when I'm retired and have a bit more time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your up early. When you thinking about doing the paint job. Christmas gift to you?

May 20, 2016
I'm usually awake at 4. I'm thinking early Feb. hoping to get a early season/boat show deal. My Christmas present for the boat is an asymmetrical spinnaker just need to rig ups downhaul that can do either the pole or an ATN tacker.

Pull the sails off yesterday. Storing them at home, folding them up is so much easier in a warm family room than on a snowy foredeck. Snow on the boats and docks.

Oct 22, 2014
It has been awhile, getting a bit antse, need my boat fix. Been hoping for a break in the weather. The 250 mile drive has been a little sketchy these past few days. Heard from a friend there was a thin covering of ice on the marina waters. Maybe after Christmas with the grand kids.
You have a Merry Christmas. Stay warm.

May 20, 2016
I didn't see any ice on Saturday, Monday it warmed up and I lost my pond ice. So must have been on Sunday.

Good sailing

Dec 25, 2000
It has been awhile, getting a bit antse, need my boat fix. Been hoping for a break in the weather.
Ditto John, a bit warmer and nice mostly sunny day here. Wind advisory, however. Nice tomorrow, so may head to the boat this afternoon and set sail for a few days; maybe Eagle Harbor.

Oct 22, 2014
Family duties are in the way for the next ten days. The annual Christmas season brunch with friends and then of course Christmas with the grandkids. Perhaps early January will bring a winter cruising window for at the least a visit to Poulsbo - pastry, warm drinks and smiles.

May 20, 2016
Sorry you cant get your boat fix - I think I will be up there most of next week, Thinking of getting the nerve up to tackle the alternator bracket upgrade Hope I don't break any studs in the process....

May 20, 2016
The new alternator bracket hangs off 4 new longer exhaust manifold studs (6 studs hold it to the block). I'm hoping I can pull the studs without pulling the manifold & elbow and and and. This is a "required" fix for the M25, it hasn't yet been done and the PO broke the timing cover filling the bilge with oil but shut down before engine damage. The under floor still weeps oil to the bilge occasionally so I have lots of absorbent pads down there. Full details on the rebuild are on Main Sail's site.

Oct 22, 2014
Since finding MaineSails site I have used his insights to help resolve boat problems with success. Nothing like success with a project to give you confidence.

May 20, 2016
Got the studs out today. Yeah they didn't break in the block. At least one is wet so I need to investigate what sealant to use on threads. Now have to wait till gaskets show up. In mean time I'll paint the manifold and new brackets universal gold. Maybe clean up block and paint some of the block. I pulled the heat exchanger and it looks freshly cleaned (just like the po claimed).

May 20, 2016
Haven't made too much progress on the alternator bracket - I did order a LN - alternator and external regulator kit that Main Sail recommended. I'm going to try and get up to the boat tonight and remove the thermostat housing - see how bad it looks for the broken studs. (again I didn't break them -- the boat came that way).
spinnaker1.jpeg
spinnaker2.jpeg

The boat's Xmas present came yesterday - all the way from Hong Kong - HK Sail Makers. 982 Sq Ft of fun. Can't wait to try it out.

US$1,056.00
luff=44.64'
leech=41.7' foot=25.86''
area
982 ft2 - tri-radial cut
Fibermax 44 ( 0.75 US oz ) Challenge nylon
asymmetrical