Bimini top

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Does anyone know what height top to use? CD sells them and it states 36in from top of coaming. I can get one a lot cheaper just need to know the height dimensions.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Dug, dealt with this last year, go the ebay route, you can cut it down in height if needed...good discussion on my old thread, page 6, starting with post #107....should answer the question and see what others have done... https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/another-newbie-hull-12502.179236/page-6
It's been great, we use it almost always whether sailing or sitting in the slip...and very affordable.

(btw, plenty of discussion thru out that thread on other newbie issues I encountered as I started out...also check out clouddiver, lewardrail, gene neill, gregm and other's longer threads, we've all been thru the host of C22 questions/issues as we started out)

Last edited:

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Thanks and I found the info I was looking for under an old thread. A 46" high bimini will work.

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Got the Bimini. Got the three foot mounting tracks. Looking for suggestion / pictures on mounting the track on second generation boat.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Galateia,
Should I get the tracks? Will they allow the bimini to slide back to cover the whole cockpit?

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
I don't think they are necessary, but do give you more options for positioning the top. I believe I read where some have used the Jib/ Genoa track. I'm sure others can provide more info.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I don't think they are necessary, but do give you more options for positioning the top. I believe I read where some have used the Jib/ Genoa track. I'm sure others can provide more info.
correct...

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I have an '86 model and have my bimini mounted on tracks and for the extra $40 or so that they cost, they've been worth it to me. I like to slide it forward when sailing to give the mainsheet more clearance at the back of the bimini when tacking and then slide it all the way back till it hits the back stay at anchor to get more shade over the cockpit. Don't be afraid to make some small loops out of paracord to attach your bimini straps to different places on the boat to see where the bestt place is for you. You may find going getting out of the cockpit and going forward a lot more difficult with the bimini up, especially if you're climbing over/around the straps. Play around with it and find what's best for you before you drill holes in your boat. Just my two cents.