another newbie, hull #12502

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Congratulations! Only 1 year, 2 months, 12 days since you started this adventure. Not too bad at all considering the work you performed. Now starts the 30+ years of enjoyment on a boat that is "better than new". I hope you find the time to enjoy it and don't let those little things you want to tinker with slow down your sailing. Next post needs to have a picture on the water with the sails up! Well Done! :clap:

Incase your wondering from the 1st post to now it was:
438 days
63 weeks
14 months
10512 hours
630720 min
3843200 Sec
Google is great isn't it!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
[QUOTE. Now starts the 30+ years of enjoyment on a boat that is "better than new". I hope you find the time to enjoy it and don't let those little things you want to tinker with slow down your sailing. Next post needs to have a picture on the water with the sails up! Well Done! :clap:

good advice Lake Shark, thx for that!

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
rpludwig - Beautiful work & also a great trailer - do you know who made your trailer? I was looking around earlier for a new galvanized trailer for a C22, but haven't had much luck.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
HH, thx....
that trlr was purchased with the boat by the original owner new, whatever Catalina was using at the time I guess (back in 1984)...the title sez "Drydock", if that is a trlr brand, not sure...(I'm the second owner)...crazydavecondon would know as he was a dealer back in the day...pm him...

btw, love the Solomon's....sailed the bay a half dozen times on charters out of Norton's in Deltaville...always stopped there...you're in a great sailing location!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
HH, thx....
that trlr was purchased with the boat by the original owner new, whatever Catalina was using at the time I guess (back in 1984)...the title sez "Drydock", if that is a trlr brand, not sure...(I'm the second owner)...crazydavecondon would know as he was a dealer back in the day...pm him...

btw, love the Solomon's....sailed the bay a half dozen times on charters out of Norton's in Deltaville...always stopped there...you're in a great sailing location!
Thanks rpludwig - I have an original trailer myself, but it's painted steel, and once I start dipping it into brackish/salt water, I'm not sure how many years I will get out of it. I got a good deal on 5 gallons of coal tar epoxy, so while it might be ugly, I might put a few coats on it.

Mike

May 21, 2017
Allmand 31 31 Lake Superior
I recently bought this Bimini off Amazon:
"MSC 3 Bow Bimini Boat Top cost $149 and I ordered the Carver tracks for another $35 or so. It was super easy to install and my Admiral loves it. I got the Navy color. Works great on sunny days and I can sail with it up if you are wondering. Sorry no pics.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Bill, thx for that, looks like it will do the trick....do you recall which size you ordered? Width and height especially...

Ron

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We have an eBay cheapie. 3 bow, 46" high, 6' long, and what they called 79" - 84" wide. I mounted it on the genny tracks to avoid drilling any more holes in the boat. It's a little narrower than ideal for this mounting method, but it works well enough for now.
Mine has no rear support leg. I kinda wish it did, because I'd like to try keeping it in this position when not using it:

I may turn out to be wrong, but it seems like it might be less in the way there than laid down, forward or aft. Thanks to @$tingy Sailor for that pic by the way, we miss you around here buddy. :thumbup:

There are some more good pics and comments in this thread from a couple years ago: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/bimini-logistics.162175/

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene, thx for that old thread, very helpful on sizing & installation methods.
I'm fine with a Tilley hat and some sunscreen, the Admiral not so much!
Agree, rear support posts preferable...

May 21, 2017
Allmand 31 31 Lake Superior
The one I ordered was the 6' long, 73-78 wide, and 46 high. I decided not to use the rear support poles as they seemed to just block access so I just attached a strap to the back and spring clip that attaches to the rear railing right where the life line attaches. When not in use I lay mine forward and so far that works for me. I admit I have not sailed with it up in anything over 10 knots so far but it seems very sturdy.

Sep 30, 2013
The one I ordered was the 6' long, 73-78 wide, and 46 high. I decided not to use the rear support poles as they seemed to just block access so I just attached a strap to the back and spring clip that attaches to the rear railing right where the life line attaches. When not in use I lay mine forward and so far that works for me. I admit I have not sailed with it up in anything over 10 knots so far but it seems very sturdy.
Thanks for the insight on the legs! :)

One more thing about them. If we had legs, I would want them to have quick disconnects of some kind. We recently discovered that tilting and securing the Bimini all the way forward creates a nice "back porch" shelter when anchored in the rain. The companionway and sliding hatch can then be left completely open, with almost no moisture getting into the cabin. It's a lifesaver when you really need ventilation but can't open the forward hatch:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
We have an eBay cheapie. 3 bow, 46" high, 6' long, and what they called 79" - 84" wide. I mounted it on the genny tracks to avoid drilling any more holes in the boat. It's a little narrower than ideal for this mounting method, but it works well enough for now.

Gene....so that said ("79-84" wide is a little narrower than ideal"), would you think it would be ideal if added tracks were added inboard toward the coaming? (I see several went to the 73-78" version so I'm a bit confused, as usual).

((nice pic of you btw, an old (not so old) salt enjoying a day on the water!))

Sep 30, 2013
I just laid a tape across the cockpit, and my tracks are about 86.5" apart, center to center, at the point where the Bimini is mounted. Based on the amount of bend I have to induce to mount this Bimini, it would probably fit best on about an 81" span. Right in the middle of that 79-84 number. Inner jib tracks might be closer to ideal, but our boats are not identical, so don't take my word for anything!

Gene....so that said ("79-84" wide is a little narrower than ideal"), would you think it would be ideal if added tracks were added inboard toward the coaming? (I see several went to the 73-78" version so I'm a bit confused, as usual).

((nice pic of you btw, an old (not so old) salt enjoying a day on the water!))

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Bimini installed, went the MSC route as Bill did (impressed, very stout, well made, good connectors, 1" pipe), went with Gene's sizes 79-84x46h)...added the Carver tracks, going to install the included rear support poles as Stingy did with two positions on the rail, and with quick disconnect pins (per Gene)....waiting for the 7/8" jaw slides shown in Stingy's pic to finish it off. Pics to follow...thx guys!

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
bimini2.jpg
back in the water after storm watch haul out...bimini done with aft jaw slides and rear supports on the rail per Stingy's method and Gene's quick disconnects....great to have the option of stowage fore on the cabin or aft as shown...eze once I listened to y'all! Cheers!