C-22 Bimini

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
Hello all,
As many before, I have been a lurker and this is my first post/question.
Has anyone purchased the Catalina Direct Bimini. If so, did you find it worth the price. Did you choose the aluminium or stainless version? why?
I need shade in the cockpit area as my wife gets sun burned very very easily.
Thanks

Hull # 14720
1988 Wing Keel
Cheboygan, MI.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't know how much sun you get up there, but if she has sensitive skin the bimini is a must have if you want her to enjoy sailing with you. Our bimini is up all the time. I prefer SS over AL for it's strength.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I asked that same question awhile back, see pg. 6 starting post #107, may save u some time & $$$...plenty discussion, options by others, and what ultimately worked for me...pleased w/my choice & results...wouldn't be without one...1" alum tubing w/carver tracks is fine for my purposes...have sailed with it up and down, no problem...MSC quality product IMO...eze install.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/another-newbie-hull-12502.179236/page-6

Last edited:

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hi Galateia!
My boat is a close sister 1988 Cat 22WK Hull #14747!

The PO didn't have a bimini. I went for one sail in the Texas sun and promptly purchased and installed one. It is worth every cent. I am budget conscious, so I followed the lead of the $tingysailor in his posting here:

https://stingysailor.com/2014/06/13/budget-bimini-top-solution-2/

It turned out great. The model I bought was:
Bimini Top Boat Cover New 46" High 3 Bow 6' ft. L x 73"-78" W BLUE W/ Rear Poles $97
(i just checked and the site said they were on vacation until after 12/21, this info was from my ebay history)
The boom just clears the 46" height without having to cut or modify the frame as described in the article and it comes with a zippered boot! I mounted the track inboard of the genoa track.

The rear support pole mounted to the aft rail (not a great pic but you can see it left center on the rail with quick release pin).

I went with aluminum poles and nylon fittings. Couple of things to keep in mind.
1. This isn't going to hold you whole body weight, so grab the rail not the bimini frame.
2. When the bimini is up, your ability to move from the cockpit up to the topside and forward is limited (think when tending bow lines to leaving the slip or return).
3. I loop the forward strap under the grab rail handle and run it back up the the webbing loop where it attaches to the bimini frame rather than installing the included metal pad eye . Saves drilling the cabin top.

The bimini is the last thing I stow when leaving the boat. I rest under the shade while tiding up lines and stowing things below. Like I said, worth every penny.

KBG

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Oh...one other thing. When you mount the frame, make sure it is far enough forward that the main sheet clears the aft end of the bimini on all points of sail. I didn't consider this and had to cut the maiden voyage short because I couldn't let the sheet out all the way running downwind.

On a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty, this is a 3. Have fun!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Generally speaking, I don't like AL tube Biminis on any boat from any manufacturer. I've never seen any that I would consider of high quality or 'durable'. Now I realize that you could rightly consider the application on a C22 to be 'light duty', no disagreement there. I think my big concern is the rivets or bolts being stainless and eventually destroying the tube. For fresh water use you might be able to avoid this. At the price point most of these are sold at I don't think its worth it at all. I got my stainless bimini used off CL, and if you want to go new and end up with AL tube there are some online sources where the price is much more reasonable. If you are willing to do some simple mods (like just shortening the tube by 5 inches) I think a bimini that will fit a C22 can be had for around $100. Pretty sure there is a 'stingy' article about that somewhere.

Sep 24, 2017
Thank you for all of the great responses. I would prefer SS...but..budget wise, I probably need to stick with the 1" aluminum. I did read most of the forum articles on this subject and was curious about the CD bimini's to see if anyone felt they were superior based on their pricing. I see a MSC item on amazon that meets the recommended sizes from the forum responses. How do you get the quick release rail attachments for the rear supports as pictured by KBG. see MSC photo of what comes with for attachment.
We sail the local lakes (Mullet Lake) and plan on taking some trips on Lake Huron, so fresh water. The wind up here can get to blowin pretty good (25 - 30) steady for days with gusts to (40-45) common.

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
SV Galateia....believe I ordered them on Amazon (or Ebay)...your pushpit rail is likely 7/8" diameter...so google 7/8" hinged jaw slides, and be sure to get quick disconnect pins, (included IIRC). The pins are helpful to disconnect one side or the other for boarding @ dockside, MOB, etc. I connected the front straps to the poptop thru screws with a proper sized padeye to make disconnecting the front strap quick & eze to disconnect without drilling extra holes...(or you can strap to your handrails).

The MSC bimini comes with rear support rails and boot, think it was ~$135-150 or so, plus the jaw slides, we've had it up in 25+kts, with no issue, 40-45 may be a different story for most any bimini, although the rear support rails really help to stiffin it....

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
My hull number is 10580 and my pulpit railing is 1 inch. I don't believe 7/8 has been used on C22's after the late 70's. measure to be sure. For bimini hardware, quick releases and such, marinepartsdepot dot com is the best. They have both 7/8 and 1 inch tube parts in stainless and aluminum I believe.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 on what Cloud sez....I thought mine were 1", not so (ordered 1" and had to return 'em), 7/8" on mine (an '84), and it may very well have been marinepartsdepot, sound familiar, not sure, but you can trust Luke (cloud diver) on such things....

Sep 24, 2017
Using the above advice, bit the bullet and ordered the MSC Bimini, Carver 36" track and two 1 inch hinger jaw slides with the quick release pins. Thanks for the input.
Also bought a UM380BK radio and mast antenna kit, three dual usb charging modules to keep those phones and pads charged and some butyl tape to begin rebedding the deck fittings.

Looking at electrical loads, LED bulb upgrades and battery charger to prepare for the future addition of the ST2000 autopilot.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Good on you! You won't regret it...sounds like y'all got yourselves an early Christmas...Enjoy!