Registered users don't see ads

Battery problems/questions?

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by marchem, Sep 5, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,850 posts, 535 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada

2. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,850 posts, 535 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Mike,

You can't have both removable caps and sealed, can you? If the caps come off, they are not AGMs.

3. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,609 posts, 262 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    Those are the senior technology, what are called "flooded" lead acid batteries. As long as you make sure they are watered as necessary, they are probably the best for simple charging systems, and certainly the best value out there.

4. Lisa

Lisa

Joined Oct 12, 2017
    71 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 310
    323 US Middle River, Md
    Talked with Rod today, got everything sorted out. He missed shipping my remote with the first order, so that came in yesterday. So I think after one more trip to the boat I'll have the charger install complete.

5. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    557 posts, 64 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    Wondering about your choice and how its working out? Thanks

6. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,609 posts, 533 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    The 1733 just displays voltage. The 1834 displays amps and bolts, has alarms is square not round and costs $200 more, and takes longer to install.

Alansails likes this.
  7. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,656 posts, 490 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    The 1834 is a full blooded Ah counter / battery monitor and with it come the complexities of keeping it calibrated.

The 1733 is a low cost voltmeter that displays to the hundredths position (nice for trends). If all you want to know is when to charge eg: start charging at 12.2V, and you want to keep it simple, the 1733 can't be beat for the price....

Alansails likes this.
  8. CTS

CTS

Joined Dec 5, 2017
    30 posts, 11 likes
    Catalina 27
    us pa
    Wanted to keep it simple and after discussing with Maine Sails this is what he suggested. Everything seems to be working fine, boat will be back in the water soon and all systems will be up and running, so I'll have a better idea then.

Maine Sail, I still have that extra part they sent me... I guess they don't want it back. Is it something someone on here could use?

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!