Anyone put an autopilot on an h26 or h260?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Oh man, you should have got the other one... no just kidding:) Paying a little extra for a screw drive is probably not a bad idea. Typically anything used for less than half of new is pretty good. Since its a current model, you can get a manual online, which will describe the mounting. Apparently there is also a software upgrade available as well. You can buy the bushing for the boat side from Menards. They have a pretty good stock of standard sized bushings. I would suggest buying the pin from Ebay, as the ball on the top is sized to the plastic tip, so it snaps on. Any piece of stainless will work for the bracket. I bought an L-bracket from Menards and just bent it to the right shape.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Oh man, you should have got the other one... no just kidding:) Paying a little extra for a screw drive is probably not a bad idea. Typically anything used for less than half of new is pretty good. Since its a current model, you can get a manual online, which will describe the mounting. Apparently there is also a software upgrade available as well. You can buy the bushing for the boat side from Menards. They have a pretty good stock of standard sized bushings. I would suggest buying the pin from Ebay, as the ball on the top is sized to the plastic tip, so it snaps on. Any piece of stainless will work for the bracket. I bought an L-bracket from Menards and just bent it to the right shape.
Thanks Dave

I'll probably have mounting questions once it arrives. I already down loaded the manual. :)

Oct 2, 2012
Hunter 26 Ventura, CA
This is how we installed our ST2000 on a Hunter 26. It did require some welding; however, we can now steer the motor if desired. We have since replaced the connection screws and bolts with fast connect pins.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
Hunter 26 Ventura, CA
You're welcome. We have also cleaned up the rudder lines mess in the picture with jam cleats.

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 26 MN
Hey everyone...

Thanks a million for your help on this. I just scored a SIMRAD TP10 on eBay for $193 w/shipping.

I'll probably have some installation questions in the future but for now... I have a plan.

;)
rgranger, I also found a Simrad TP10 on eBay - landed mine for a bit less than you, but as anyone who shops eBay knows, it's all about timing.
I'm curious how the install goes... and what extra parts you/we need to buy to get everything properly aligned. One thing I've noticed is that there is an abundance of Raymarine ST parts on eBay, but not very many TP10 parts (as in mounting brackets, pins, pushrod extensions, tiller brackets, etc.). Those that are there are shipping from the UK.
I expect you'll get yours in before I do mine, since the forecast here this weekend is calling for a high between 0 and 10 degrees. Please keep me posted - pics would be awesome.

Thanks, CHSN WND

Sep 20, 2014
Not sure how different Simrad is, but when I bought my Autohelm from Ebay, it was just a matter of running over to Menards and purchasing a bushing for the mount on the boat. For the tiller, I just bought a stainless shelving bracket and bent it to the right shape. For the pin, I used a bolt. Put it in my drill and ground it down to the right size and also ground a ball on the end. Bolted it to the bracket and I was good to go.

BTY: If you want your engine to steer with your tiller, there is a super simple solution, as I did with my old boat. The good aspect, is that you can uncleat the line and not have the load of the engine on your tiller.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Here's some points which CHSN WND should clarify. What did you get when you purchased your unit? Was the power connection outlet included? I assume the cable was there as it should be hard wired into the unit. The pivot bushing is available at most good supply houses. Next would be the tiller bracket and pin. This would need to be matched to your tiller. Download the instruction manual to see how to match the tiller with the unit. I made my own out of stock aluminum bar, heated, bent it and quick cool for hardening, after doing some calculations and dry fitting. I used a nut and smooth shaft bolt to create my pin. It's worked for me for four years now. Cost me $2.45 for the stock aluminum bar. The hardware and paint I had in my workshop. Saved $45 plus shipping. How ever I think I might like to create a new unit with a heavier/thicker bar.
Tiller Pinv2.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
rgranger, I also found a Simrad TP10 on eBay - landed mine for a bit less than you, but as anyone who shops eBay knows, it's all about timing.
I'm curious how the install goes... and what extra parts you/we need to buy to get everything properly aligned. One thing I've noticed is that there is an abundance of Raymarine ST parts on eBay, but not very many TP10 parts (as in mounting brackets, pins, pushrod extensions, tiller brackets, etc.). Those that are there are shipping from the UK.
I expect you'll get yours in before I do mine, since the forecast here this weekend is calling for a high between 0 and 10 degrees. Please keep me posted - pics would be awesome.

Thanks, CHSN WND
Hey CHSN WND

I have not installed mine yet.... officially I only got mine Christmas day :) as a gift from my wife :thumbup:

I was going to work on it this week but we are down in the teens this week. I'll post any progress I make. I did not get any of the mounting gear and for the electric I was thinking of wiring the cables to a trolling motor plug.

Aug 11, 2011
If your ultimate and final goal is to only use it as a device to hold direction, then yes a trolling motor plug would be adequate. However, should you want to expand and use all capabilities, such as linking it to a GPS with NMEA 0183 and a wireless steering remote, you'll need to have the correct outlet/ plug.

Jan 19, 2010
If your ultimate and final goal is to only use it as a device to hold direction, then yes a trolling motor plug would be adequate. However, should you want to expand and use all capabilities, such as linking it to a GPS with NMEA 0183 and a wireless steering remote, you'll need to have the correct outlet/ plug.
Hmmmm.... I'm not sure if the Simrad TP10 does all of that.... the only two leads I have (and the only two the manual talks about) are a hot and ground wire. Regardless, my intention is to use it to hold a course.

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 26 MN
Here's some points which CHSN WND should clarify. What did you get when you purchased your unit? Was the power connection outlet included? I assume the cable was there as it should be hard wired into the unit. The pivot bushing is available at most good supply houses. Next would be the tiller bracket and pin. This would need to be matched to your tiller. Download the instruction manual to see how to match the tiller with the unit. I made my own out of stock aluminum bar, heated, bent it and quick cool for hardening, after doing some calculations and dry fitting. I used a nut and smooth shaft bolt to create my pin. It's worked for me for four years now. Cost me $2.45 for the stock aluminum bar. The hardware and paint I had in my workshop. Saved $45 plus shipping. How ever I think I might like to create a new unit with a heavier/thicker bar.
View attachment 118626
I haven't rec'd the unit yet, but according to the pictures on eBay it's the device with pushrod and cable with 2 prong male plug. There is also a stubby SS pin attached to the bottom of the device. No mounting hardware or anything else included.
I've been watching eBay for a while and have yet to see a used one that includes anything more. Not sure why; what good would keeping the installation hardware do w/o the unit itself?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hmmmm.... I'm not sure if the Simrad TP10 does all of that.... the only two leads I have (and the only two the manual talks about) are a hot and ground wire. Regardless, my intention is to use it to hold a course.
The TP 10 does not interface with external nav systems. It uses an internal compass to maintain course. Both the TP 22 and TP 32 will interface with SimNet or Nmea 0183 compatible devices to provide steer to wind and steer to gps features.

Quite frankly... that's all you really need on a small sailboat. Something that will hold course while you do other stuff. You only need a two prong water tight connector... available just about anywhere... and a mounting method.... I would invest in the proper sized anchor pin and tiller pin... be creative with the other... The extensions for the tiller arm can get pricey.

Aug 11, 2011
My bad, sorry about the expansion question. I was looking on eBay and found one for sale at $199, however it appears there is no pivot pin cap. I have asked the seller if it is included, but as of yet no reply. I will report back what he/she says. Item number 321943193843 If it is not, then that's going to be tough to find. I went searching but did not find a replacement piece.

Sep 20, 2014
Over priced for missing a threaded cap. That is kind of critical. I'm guessing he broke it, and doesn't want that to show in the auction. I would ask him for 50 bucks off, as the original cap will be hard to find.

Now just so you know, I broke my cap, and used a brass pipe fitting. The threads are not right, so I only threaded it in part way, finger snug, as the threads are close. I didn't want to damage the threads if I ever got the correct piece. The brass fitting works just fine, so I will probably not ever bother to replace it with the correct piece.

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 26 MN
The TP 10 does not interface with external nav systems. It uses an internal compass to maintain course. Both the TP 22 and TP 32 will interface with SimNet or Nmea 0183 compatible devices to provide steer to wind and steer to gps features.

Quite frankly... that's all you really need on a small sailboat. Something that will hold course while you do other stuff. You only need a two prong water tight connector... available just about anywhere... and a mounting method.... I would invest in the proper sized anchor pin and tiller pin... be creative with the other... The extensions for the tiller arm can get pricey.
My bad, sorry about the expansion question. I was looking on eBay and found one for sale at $199, however it appears there is no pivot pin cap. I have asked the seller if it is included, but as of yet no reply. I will report back what he/she says. Item number 321943193843 If it is not, then that's going to be tough to find. I went searching but did not find a replacement piece.
twodzusfittings - By "pivot pin cap" do you mean the black tip on the pushrod that connects to the pin on the tiller bracket, or is that something that fits onto the pin that connects the base of the TP to the boat?
Mine arrived today and has the black cap on the pushrod but the pin at the base is just a straight SS rod, maybe 1.25 inches long. It looks to be in very good shape cosmetically; if it works as good as it looks, I got very lucky.
I did find quite a few mounting accessories on the Defender website. They don't offer a vertical mounting cup, only a horizontal one. Being as I've never really looked, that may be fine for my boat. I'll also probably mount mine on the port side to keep open access to my motor... As requested by rgranger before, if anyone has one mounted on an H26, pics would be very much appreciated!

Jan 19, 2010
CHSN WND: yes, I mean the black tip. Sounds like you scored well. Here is a vertical mounting cup from Defender. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028687|2028719&id=1044255
Hey Twodzusfittings

Thanks for posting the link for the mounting cup.... dang.... $70 for a piece of plastic!

I keep the link but will probably try to figure out my own mounting meathod.... and like CHNS WND said.... please post pics if you got a home made solution.

Fair winds,
r

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 26 MN
CHSN WND: yes, I mean the black tip. Sounds like you scored well. Here is a vertical mounting cup from Defender. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028687|2028719&id=1044255
Great! That's always a concern - buying something off eBay when you really don't know the in's and outs. I had the TP10 you referenced on my watch list but was hesitant to go that high. I had noticed most of these units had a black tip on the pushrod, but figured it might be a protective cap. Dodged a bullet there... again, assuming it works!
Thanks also for the Defender link; I searched under tiller pilot accessories but didn't see it. While they're not super cheap, their prices seem reasonable. If I can get a fully functional TP10 installed using OEM parts for <$300 I'll be a happy sailor.

Sep 20, 2014
Find or search online for a brass flange. Thread a pipe thread plug into the flange. Drill the center of the plug to the size of your pin and call it good, all for less than $10 bucks.