Registered users don't see ads

Advise for Ranger 20

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by kentchris, Jan 13, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. kentchris

kentchris

Joined Jan 13, 2019
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Kent Ranger 20
    US Priest Lake Idaho
    I just purchased a Ranger 20 11/18. Hull #194. Looks like a great boat. I am going through the boat. cleaning it up and checking it out. I have just started on the electrical (very basic). The mast light didn't work so I went to change it out with an LED light and am having problems replacing old cut and worn out wiring (won't pull through). I assume it is attached at the top of mast but am not sure how to access/remove the top of the mast. Does anyone know what brand mast was used on R 20. Also any general info links on R20's would be appreciated. Thanks Kent

2. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,346 posts, 260 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Is the mast "up" or is have you taking it "down"?
    Pictures would help.

3. kentchris

kentchris

Joined Jan 13, 2019
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Kent Ranger 20
    US Priest Lake Idaho
    Mast is down. I will post pics in an hour or two.

Tom J likes this.
  4. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,346 posts, 260 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    There should be some form of strain relief for the wire(s). That can come in a variety of methods. It might have been wrapping around a post inside the top of the masthead, or it might have been some other method. You should be able to see something. You might try shing a bright light in from above or below. Can you pull the wire "up" at all?

5. kentchris

kentchris

Joined Jan 13, 2019
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Kent Ranger 20
    US Priest Lake Idaho
    New
    I can't pull the wire up from top or down from bottom. It appears to be loose looking up from the bottom, but I can't see more than half way up. Does this mast head look familiar.

Attached Files:

6. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,346 posts, 260 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    When you say "worn out wiring", are the conductors bad?

You could probably remove the top assembly by drilling out the rivets. You could re drill and add two two wires to the masthead light. Are you ready to start surgery, or do you need to?

7. kentchris

kentchris

Joined Jan 13, 2019
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Kent Ranger 20
    US Priest Lake Idaho
    The wires were cut at both ends near where they entered the mast at the bottom and where they exited at the top. The idea of redrilling on the top plate and then rethreading wire, (while leaving old wire) seems the most straight forward. If I did drill out the 4 rivets, could I tap the holes and replace them with 4 bolts? Or would new rivets be required. I don't have rivets that large.

8. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,346 posts, 260 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    I think I'd avoid drilling out the rivets. If the wires are otherwise okay (i.e., the insulation is good and the copper is not corroded) you might try to simply extend them. You can always replace them later. An LED will draw less amps.

9. kentchris

kentchris

Joined Jan 13, 2019
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Kent Ranger 20
    US Priest Lake Idaho
    Thanks. That might be the best option. I will see what I can do.

10. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,346 posts, 260 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    IF the wires are "good", then use marine grade wire and crimps. It's not "perfect", but you're sailing on fresh water lakes in modest season. The wires section to look at first are those exposed to the sun at the masthead. Is the insulation sun baked or is it still sound?

While you're looking at the masthead, make sure the sheaves are rotating freely. Check the spinnaker /jib block attachments, etc. If everything is sound, then I'd not be drilling out the rivets unless you have to.

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.