A throttle closed question...before I experiment.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I ran into a potential concern when installing our new to us pedestal guard on the original H30 setup. The support bracket interferes with the throttle lever, limiting its ability to be fully closed off. We’re talking about maybe a half inch rotation for full fuel shut off. I’m hoping that I still get a low idle speed at startup, but do I need to completely shut down the engine fuel flow, before turning the key off. Will the diesel motor stop once the lift pump is off regardless of throttle location? Is the throttle lever rotationally adjustable, or can I make adjustments at the engine throttle body? I had no time to experiment the last weekend when we added the Pedestal guard and new folding table. Now that I’m home the question entered my mind. I can capture pics next weekend if needed.
708D8C6C-6672-43B0-AE12-9BE277BA01E4.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
it all depends on the fuel tank location with respect to the engine, the engine and phase of the moon. Many boats (Mine included will run till the tank is 1/4 full before a dead lift pump is a problem.

Nov 30, 2015
Hey @LeslieTroyer, the tank is higher than the lift pump by about 2”. But the fuel level is about 4 to 12” below that. My simple question is...can I kill the engine with just the switch, regardless of throttle positition?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I am completely confused by this thread. I thought the question was regarding the new inability to bring the throttle lever all the way to the slow position. Why does the O.P. ask about cutting the lift pump? If the engine has a stop pull-cable, it will stop the engine regardless of position of speed control lever. If the engine only has a key switch to stop it, it must surely have a fuel solenoid that will shut off the fuel, regardless of the position of the speed control lever.

The only issue with not being able to pull the lever all the way to slow is that you might not be able to idle down, and you will be putting more wear on the transmission when you shift. Some transmissions are O.K. to shift at speed, some are not.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Jviss. on that engine, there is no "pull to stop" button or knob. That engine is stopped by completely closing the "throttle" and that does it.. Unless it was modified, the lift pump is mechanical so turning off the switch will not stop the engine ..Again if unmodified..

Wayne, you should be able to adjust the cable housing clamp down by the engine to move the point where the throttle closes a bit earlier and still goes to full when you need it to.. loosen the housing clamp and slide the housing slightly toward the shut-off point then re-clamp it.. Good luck with it..

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Jviss. on that engine, there is no "pull to stop" button or knob. That engine is stopped by completely closing the "throttle" and that does it.. Unless it was modified, the lift pump is mechanical so turning off the switch will not stop the engine ..Again if unmodified..
Go it, thanks! But couldn't that lead to unintentional stoppages? Is there a detent, or spring force or something?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
This is why there is often a stop cable. The throttle is only permitted to bring the engine to idle in the lowest position. To stop the engine you must pull the stop cable to completely close the throttle and kill it. This stop cable is not always supplied by the boat builder but is often available for the engine. Installation is easy on engines made for this. Without this feature you can and will stall your engine at the worst time, particularly while docking. Keep in mind that the stop cable will not work unless the engine is already in idle.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Indeed.. but after a small bit of familiarity, one learns to not shut it off.. I think I remember a slight spring force on my buddy's which would decrease inadvertent stops..

Nov 30, 2015
Thanks for your input fellas. I went up to the boat this morning to address the throttle hitting the pedestal guard bracket. I was all tooled up to adjust the throttle cable at the motor. Last week I read several reviews on the Edson site regarding the SS replacement levers and many folks had written reviews about the same problem and just bending the new lever a little bit. So I attempted that first with fear the old lever might break off. Nope, it was easy peasy and now the throttle closes just as well as originally. Here’s a couple pics oriented from top down and side views.
6F9418A8-AF81-43BA-9F87-0D7BEA3B00FD.jpeg
91F36CC6-1904-41C7-937B-2C0AC9A09CD9.jpeg

Then I made the Admiral very happy by mounting her new teak folding table on the pedestal guard. Gonna be a good night for Wayner the Complainer.

F9D8B582-2582-40FC-ABF0-D2C8E9BFBC3E.jpeg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So, just my pet peeve - it really isn't a "throttle" if it's a diesel. It's a speed control. I know well that even 'manufacturers' like Westerbeke call it a throttle, and refer to things like WOT (wide open throttle). But, there's no throttle. (Only gasoline engines have throttles.) The lever connects to the governor, which is a servo system to control engine speed, regulating the fuel supply to maintain the speed you've set. On any diesel engine I've encountered, pulling the stop cable or energizing the stop relay shuts off the fuel supply, stopping the engine, regardless of the position of the speed control lever.

Thanks, I just had to get that out. :)

Beautiful table! We had the very same one. You might want to varnish it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You might want to varnish it.
Gunni’s Rule 4: I only maintain the stuff I brought onboard. Table needs varnish? get to it babe! Throw pillows look soiled? not my problem! Dodger needs stitched? don’t worry about it sweetie, I have a man!

Nov 30, 2015
Thanks, I just had to get that out. :)
:thumbup: Got it buddy. Always open to learning new things. This is the first diesel motor I’ve ever possessed...and I’m really glad I didn’t have to monkey with the speed control cable and casing. Cindy put three coats of teak oil on the table after delivery. We’ll see how it looks after this season. She wouldn’t be happy if I suggest a weather resistant finish now. :badbad:

My next assignment is to purchase a pedestal/table cover.