2018 Mahalo Cruise

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Les. I have found that in the conditions you describe the ride is much more comfortable if you roll out about 6' of the Jib and motor sail when you need to go upwind in a big blow. I found that coming out of Pender Harbor into the Gulf of Georgia with 35 knots on the nose. 6' of jib, trimmed tight as I could get it and fall off just until the jib fills. My C30 went from 1.7 knots through the water to 7 knots. The ride was good enough that my wife went up to the v-berth and took a nap!
BTW, nice looking shot of running the Deception Pass. I prefer to place myself about 40' farther to the north (30' from Pass Island). That will put you out of the whirlpools.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I think we are skipping Jones and going to spend 2 nites in Wescot. One of the 3 other Everett boats is going to Friday Harbor , the other two convinced me to join them in Wescott.

Hope to see you in Bedwell.
At the resort dock or anchored out?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The two gentlemen going to Wescott have forgotten more about sailing than I’ll know. Both are solo Sailors @79 & 81 years young. Plus the older shares my love of pan fried oysters so should be some good eats!!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Doesn’t look like Poets Cove is going to happen. They are booked up..going to Otter Bay.

May 20, 2016
Thought my AB failed and would have to buy ice for the rest of the trip. But it was a brain fart in my part. The DC panel voltmeter said 12.74V plenty to run the frig and not get inhibited by the LVDC I have on frig circuit.

A friend (Colin) from a Pacific Seacraft 34 rows over after lunch do a beer and asked what’s beeping. Turns out the volt meter switch was reading start battery and not the house. The Honda 2000 connected up and ran for 5hrs before it ran out of gas and was. Still feeding 15A to the batteries - frig was cold enough to freeze my tonic water.

Yeah no big expensive but will probably have to re battery next year.

For dinner we had a dozen pan fried oysters (from the oyster farm 1000yds east) ( egg wash, panco, S&P, butter & oil) each with some pan fried bread washed down with a nice Costco Cab.

12yr Macallan for desert

Perfect end to day 7/19.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perfect day... what did you do, wander over and snag a few oysters from the edge of the farm? Or do they sell them to visiting boaters?

May 20, 2016
Perfect day... what did you do, wander over and snag a few oysters from the edge of the farm? Or do they sell them to visiting boaters?
Colin wandered the beaches last night. - zero oysters there

The farm has a very busy retail business. I bought them and got to pick out the ones I wanted, shucked them there. No mess on Mahalo

May 20, 2016
Checked fuel filters in prep of topping off the tanks at US fuel prices. And found water, glad I checked. Think I will run in polish mode tonight while the generator is running!! I sure like being able to put water bottles under the filter.
E5BD5725-1672-4280-9D94-5C8ADF28304B.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Don’t know. Both deck fittings were down tight, o-rings look good. No more water in either Racor despite running in polish for 2 hrs, and running the engine about the same. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Les,
Do you guys do chargrilled oysters on half shell in your neck of the woods? Love fried oysters too; however, Chargrilled is my favorite.

May 20, 2016
I had 3 grill cooked at the farm. Each with a different sauce - the Saracha, Lime, Celantro was the best followed closely by chipotle, bourbon, brown sugar. And washed down with an outer bay ipa from San Juan Brewery (local to the Island)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Good for you doesn't get any better! Grilled oysters in New Orleans has been a hit for many years. In fact, there is one restaurant, with two locations, that were designed around the grilled oyster bar. Between the two, they sell about 900 dozen grilled oyster platters per day on a busy day! That doesn't include the raw oyster bar and fried oysters. That's a lot of oysters!
Glad to hear that the cruise is going well; "sail on sailor"

May 20, 2016
Day 9/19
The trip was uneventful from Provost Harbor to Poets Cove. Wind finally picked up enough to sail 15 minutes before gettin to the harbor so I skipped it. Customs took forever as there were 6 boats just before me. Then a trip to the shower was somewhat foiled. Looneys only - so I stripped to basket ball shorts and undies and hit the pool shower (free) then the hot tub. On way out I Doug out the soap and cleaned off in pool shower. @Stu Jackson made it in and we drank a beer together before heading up to the store for 2 more 6 packs.

Dinner on my boat tonight - might have withdrawal no oysters tonight... I’m making French dip with smoked brisket.

2CC45272-9277-4BE2-B752-49CFD479907C.jpeg