1989 Pearson 27 steering pedestal disconnected from rudder

Mar 27, 2017
Pearson 27 Back Creek
Hi folks,

I just picked up a 1989 Pearson 27. Two weeks ago before we sailed the vessel home, a wonderful four-hour journey to port, I had some work done to re-bed the steering column as there was a leak into the aft cabin. During the process, the vendor needed to disconnect the pedestal and the feet for binical guard and then reconnected the steering when done. I also had to have the tie-rod shortened (another story).

I've asked the vendor to come back and fix the issue as I believe it was likely caused by their work. In case, the refuse to honor their work, and for my own understanding, has anyone else has done had to reconned the rudder to the steering pedestal? If so, any advice on how to go about getting it done.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joseph

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is it an Edson wheel? Assume that it is, you can go to their website. They have very clear schematics.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Joe, seeing this in print, I don't understand what the issue is??? Something still need fixing? Leaking? The tie rod needs work now? The tie rod on the transom that connects to the rudder?

Mar 27, 2017
Pearson 27 Back Creek
Ron, this is a new issue. In summary, the wheel no longer turns the rudder. It did before, no longer does. I'll fill you in on the details tomorrow.

Joseph

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can call the guy... but.... I'd want to know what the problem is... just because it's my boat and I need to know everything about how it works.

Mar 27, 2017
Pearson 27 Back Creek
Hi all, it turns out the U-bolt that locks the cable to the quadrant snapped and because it did it allowed the steering cables to slip. I am going to replace the other u-bolt as a precaution.

Thank you for your help, this forum is a wonderful resource!

Joseph