1989 Hunter Vision 32 Purchase Advise

Oct 31, 2017
Pearson 28-2 52 Annapolis, MD
Hi all -
Eight months later and I'm still looking for my first boat. I think I've found a keeper; however, I'm concerned with some discussions I'm coming across on forums regarding the model (1986 Hunter Vision 32). The boat has a free-standing mass, also known as a telephone pole, but has a nice interior layout that the ball-&-chain loves. The owner is offering 19.5k, when nada says 23-26k, and needs some TLC -- especially holding tank replacement and possible keel issue. There is a small crack forward of the wing keel with evidence of rust/water coming out (this is my main concern). To be more specific, the small crack is along the leading edge of the keel where iron is exposed (there's also water in the bilge - could this be the cause?).
If this is minor, I would drill out the crack and fill depressions with epoxy, patch over the spot where rust appeared, and then paint with regular bottom paint.
Basically, should I bail on this boat now and continue looking, or continue w/ surveyor?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
continue w/ surveyor
No matter what boat you're looking at once you narrow it down get a survey done.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Get the survey. I had one for nine years. Great boat. The keel is likely cosmetic. All of the boats with aluminum holding tanks are either in need of replacement or have been replaced. Are you reasonably handy? Any boat of that vintage needs some deferred maintenance. Price looks good.

Oct 31, 2017
Pearson 28-2 52 Annapolis, MD
Thanks, Don.
Rick - Yes, I'm pretty handy. The only thing that deterred me was the keel. Thanks.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
If the boat in salt water , and the water in the bilge is not salty, then it is not coming from the keel. Can come from leaking locker or mast step. As to the rust and crack, probably just cosmetic. As said before get a surey. By the way a good product for a keel fix is G-Flex.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Good cool unusual boat. Boats are valued by how well there maintained. Worn out main sale -5000. Head sail -3500. Clean Engine with good maintaince records. +2500. Survey will give you barter leverage

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chris if you feel this is a boat you really want then get the survey. If unsure then keep looking.
The survey will value based on its condition.
Then you’ll know how one boat smart person thinks of the boats value.
As @Whatfiero1 says it will give you information as to how to negotiate the price.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I looked at one once. Was told if the mast gets damaged, you will not be able to replace. Make sure the mast is in good shape.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
All that advice about surveys is good for two reasons. One, you'll get the eyes of a surveyor on the specific boat you are interested in; two, walk the boat with the surveyor, if you can, and his conversation as well as his written report, will give you a better foundation for looking at every other boat in your future.
Only, let the surveyor do his job, don't ask to many questions that are leading. You want honest and complete, not "what you want too hear." I say this because my wife accuses me of pushing technicians and tradesmen, we hire, into agreeing with me when we really want them to do their job. I can agree with her point, even though I don't think I really do what she accuses me of.:what: Really, it's just that my standards are high. ;)

As far as free standing masts go. I love the concept and I'm sure if it ever broke there are still options from salvage purchase to rerigging with conventional rigs, if you can't find new.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good luck. Keep us informed.
You will find we love pictures of your dream.
Especially during the winter months when so many are away from their boats for extended periods.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I recently discovered my bilge water was condensation from the fridge. I turned it off this winter and the bilge is bone dry, even in rainy Washington. I had added a dripless shaft seal. Usually the bilge would be leaking rain water. That's just a matter of finding and fixing leaks. A salt water leak can only be from hull penetrations. This includes shaft seals.

Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We really like the Vision 32. I recently discovered my bilge water was condensation from the fridge. I turned it off this winter and the bilge is bone dry, even in rainy Washington. I had added a dripless shaft seal. Usually the bilge would be leaking rain water. That's just a matter of finding and fixing leaks. A salt water leak can only be from hull penetrations. This includes shaft seals.

Ken