Running engine tied up to dock harmful to engine?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The idea that running your boat in gear while tied to the dock is illegal is really preposterous. You could never use a spring line to get onto or away from a dock. it is also good practice to check that the boat actually goes into forward and reverse before being unsecured from the dock.

On the other hand where it is an illegal act to disturb the bottom using a boats motor to do so would be breaking the law.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
Am v good marina "marintizen" since boat's been great since fuel n tank polished.
Thanks for all helpful ckmments and advice.

Feb 26, 2007
Beneteau 361 Punta Gorda, FL
I normally lurk and don't contribute much, but this is something I do every week. Our boat is docked behind a friend's house in Punta Gorda - there is a boat lift about 5 feet in front of the bow and a big 50ft SeaRay about 30 feet at the neighbor's house off the stern. In other words, I can sail our boat alone just fine, but threading this needle to dock is tough. When I'm alone and can't go out, I try to go to the dock and run the engine and spin the prop every week. What I have learned over the last few years is that I get FAR less barnacle growth on the running gear and prop if I spin the prop at least once a week, even if I don't leave the dock. Our routine is to start the engine and let it idle for about 10 minutes, then put it into forward gear up to about 1200 to 1500 RPM and it spin for about 20 minutes, then idle back and shut down after another 10 minutes. Sometimes I let it run longer, sometimes I run it up higher for a few seconds, so the routine varies.

We have a SuperSnorkel hooka rig, so I clean the hull and prop every so often, and I've seen clear evidence that this helps. I *think* I'm helping keep the engine in good working order as well, but that might be wishful thinking - no amount of dock sailing can simulate open water powering for hours. But, I do what I can. By the way, my particular dock was dredged to 8 feet at low tide, so my 30hp tractor engine isn't pushing a lot silt around. My 2-cents worth...

Dean Thomas
Cape Coral, FL
2001 Beneteau 361 Second Wind

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
I normally lurk and don't contribute much, but this is something I do every week. Our boat is docked behind a friend's house in Punta Gorda - there is a boat lift about 5 feet in front of the bow and a big 50ft SeaRay about 30 feet at the neighbor's house off the stern. In other words, I can sail our boat alone just fine, but threading this needle to dock is tough. When I'm alone and can't go out, I try to go to the dock and run the engine and spin the prop every week. What I have learned over the last few years is that I get FAR less barnacle growth on the running gear and prop if I spin the prop at least once a week, even if I don't leave the dock. Our routine is to start the engine and let it idle for about 10 minutes, then put it into forward gear up to about 1200 to 1500 RPM and it spin for about 20 minutes, then idle back and shut down after another 10 minutes. Sometimes I let it run longer, sometimes I run it up higher for a few seconds, so the routine varies.

We have a SuperSnorkel hooka rig, so I clean the hull and prop every so often, and I've seen clear evidence that this helps. I *think* I'm helping keep the engine in good working order as well, but that might be wishful thinking - no amount of dock sailing can simulate open water powering for hours. But, I do what I can. By the way, my particular dock was dredged to 8 feet at low tide, so my 30hp tractor engine isn't pushing a lot silt around. My 2-cents worth...

Dean Thomas
Cape Coral, FL
Tks this I also practice as alas my sailing season ends mid September.
Usually with a almost full tank. Thanks for the useful info.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I finally cleaned out my tank this spring after finally realizing that the tank crud was blocking the pick up tube. I only have 3-4" of clearance above the tank and the tank cannot be removed without cutting it up. The only access I had was throughthe fuel sender hole. I used an "el cheapo" inspection camera (Search endoscope or boroscope on amazon) bought for about $ 20 to see inside the tank. Mine is powered off a laptop USB port and has its own light. I also used a piece of 1/4" diameter flexible copper tubing connected to a length of hose. I siphoned all the fuel out of the tank (boat was on the hard) and the copper tube made a great wand to siphon up all the crud and fuel out of the tank. I was lucky that there was nothing adhered to the insode tank surfaces. Since then, we have experienced no more issues.

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
My Bene 381 with a SS fuel tank had a threaded plug near the bottom. I replaced the plug with a small ball valve with a 1/4" hose barb and put a small vinyl hose on it. When I need to remove the bottom fuel from the tank, I just stick the hose in a bottle and open the valve!!! I do it once a year to remove sediment and water but usually there isn't any!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My Bene 381 with a SS fuel tank had a threaded plug near the bottom. I replaced the plug with a small ball valve with a 1/4" hose barb and put a small vinyl hose on it. When I need to remove the bottom fuel from the tank, I just stick the hose in a bottle and open the valve!!! I do it once a year to remove sediment and water but usually there isn't any!!!
I don't suppose you recall what the thread size on the tank is? I'd like to do the same thing, maybe with a sight tube for fuel level.

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
I don't suppose you recall what the thread size on the tank is? I'd like to do the same thing, maybe with a sight tube for fuel level.
Probably 3/8" but can't be 100%. I bought the fuel valve from West Marine.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You need to be careful working with a tank (especially metal ones) which have vapors in them and involve drill or cutting.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011

Dean Thomas
Cape Coral, FL
Tks. I'll used ur timed periods as I too can only go out from dock w crew. Also long periods of dock time n short sailings.