"Multi Ring Deck Organizer"

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Write up implies these can replace regular organizers w/sheaves...anyone doing this?

I'm using D-Race - be about a 40 deg bend....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have not used those but I have used the low friction rings as a subsitute for a block. So far no complaints. If you try it, please post pics of the installation.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Lead rings are becoming quite common and this deck organizer seems to be very similar. Might even be better than an organizer with sheaves if the entry angle is not parallel to the deck. I just picked up one of these to try for my spinnaker tack line.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You asked about the deck organizer and all I can say is that the ring seems to work well as far as friction goes. This is not a great pic. I took this as I was testing out an idea but I don't have a pic of the final setup. I ran this ring on a line through my deck block and I run my jib sheet through the ring. One of the things I didn't like about the H26 set up is the lack of jib cars. My jib block is set rather inboard which is great when working to windward but on all other points of sail, the jib pinches the slot. When the wind is beam-to or abaft, I use the line that runs through the block to let out the ring... this lets me ease out the clew and open the slot. I call it a reverse Barber Hauler but I'm not sure if that is a good name or not. My reverse barber hauler sort of works but it adds a lot of clutter to the cockpit (two extra lines). When working to windward, I pull it all the way in and my sheet is nearly in the same place as it was in the original block.
IMG_1570.JPG

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Huh?
Leading back to rope clutches. I thinking for halyards, outhaul, vang - not stripping cover from line either.
I think @DArcy is thinking of a situation where either 1) The mast turning block is significantly above deck level; or 2) The deck is curved substantially. In either case (or the combination of the two), the incoming line from the mast would enter the organizer at an angle (not perfectly straight into the sheave). If so, there might be a tendency for the line to ride up out of the sheave and jam alongside it against the frame of the organizer.

Sheaveless organizers wouldn't have that possibility.

I had it happen once, and it was a real pain to clear. And could have been a trip-killer if I'd ended up cutting and accidentally sky-ing the halyard. In my case, it was a combination of 1) Stripped halyards, with skinny 1/8" Amsteel passing through the organizer; and 2) Organizers (intentionally) slightly oversized for my boat (38mm sheaves), leaving a bit more gap on the side than a smaller organizer would. When I replaced the halyards, I left a longer cover, so now they're covered through the turning blocks and it won't happen again.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
. I call it a reverse Barber Hauler but I'm not sure if that is a good name or not.
You can just call it a Barber Hauler..... it doesn't make any difference which way it pulls. In-haul or out-haul. On my Nacra, (beach cat) the barber hauler is rigged to move the lead position outboard. On my Catalina 27, I use the genoa track.... and rig a barber hauler to move the lead position inboard. Same purpose, different direction.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Lead rings are becoming quite common and this deck organizer seems to be very similar. Might even be better than an organizer with sheaves if the entry angle is not parallel to the deck. I just picked up one of these to try for my spinnaker tack line.
I find it interesting the wax and wane of systems and methods. I used to turn these parts out of teak, iroko, lignum vitea or other woods years ago...

dj