HMS Bounty - combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Interview with the Engineer, interesting... didn't realize the magnitude of the storm? Wow.

"At that point in time, I didn't know a hurricane was coming," said Barksdale. Captain Walbridge told the crew he wouldn't blame them if they wanted to get off the ship and he wouldn't hold it against them.
"Naturally, I thought about it," Barksdale said. "But the captain had a good plan to circumvent the storm and at that point, we didn't realize the magnitude of the storm."

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headli...ts-Rescue-from-HMS-Bounty-Ship-178745071.html

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Worse than imagined...

The Bounty was known to crew with newbies, so this answers my last two questions:

1. Did the the crew know they were heading to Hatteras into a named storm. Yes. Did they know what that meant. No.
  2. Did they make an orderly abandon ship. No. They were tossed and found their liferaft cannisters.
It is an absolute miracle, facilitated by our Coasties, that any of the Bounty crew survived. Thanks Scott.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
One small question? Do my eyes deceive me by some odd photography lighting that makes their survival suits look BROWN? Or WERE they brown. If that were the case, I'm afraid that again, words fail me..

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I think the white balance on the camera is off if you're talking about the video from the chopper. The rescue swimmer's suit looks kind of brownish too, and I know his is international orange. Could also be a side effect of the infrared/night vision capability (if the camera has it) which would skew the colors.

Sep 20, 2006
One small question? Do my eyes deceive me by some odd photography lighting that makes their survival suits look BROWN? Or WERE they brown. If that were the case, I'm afraid that again, words fail me..
It's probably the night vision from the camera.? Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the picture of the crew being helped from the helicopter on land.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
It's probably the night vision from the camera.? Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the picture of the crew being helped from the helicopter on land.
We're talking about the USCG link, right? The gumby suit in that photo at the bottom looks red on my screen, not brown. The image for the video clip definitely looks brown; the camera is probably the same one that's used at night and the color is probably off, either because of the infrared functions or a bad white balance setting.

Reds and oranges can be a problem for digital sensors too. I know my DSLRs (Pentax K20D x 2) sometimes struggle with reds, yellows, oranges, and magentas. I think I read somewhere that it has to do with the proximity of those colors to the infrared range or something.

Sep 20, 2006
We're talking about the USCG link, right? The gumby suit in that photo at the bottom looks red on my screen, not brown. The image for the video clip definitely looks brown; the camera is probably the same one that's used at night and the color is probably off, either because of the infrared functions or a bad white balance setting.

Reds and oranges can be a problem for digital sensors too. I know my DSLRs (Pentax K20D x 2) sometimes struggle with reds, yellows, oranges, and magentas. I think I read somewhere that it has to do with the proximity of those colors to the infrared range or something.
That's exactly what i was saying.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
This has been the saddest, and dumbest most nonsensical story I have heard in all my life. We are drawn to these old wooden ships for reasons we cant even put into words. The Bounty mutiny story has been popular since it occurred, especially for the new United States, as it seen as a microcosm of our own battle with the same overbearing tyrants.

Many keep calling Bounty a "movie prop". While I never saw the ship in person, by all accounts she was built every bit as well as any ship from her time. That she lasted 52 years and battled some very harsh seas at the lost Captains hand, is testimony in itself that she was very soundly constructed and quite capable in heavy seas.

But any ship from her era, new or old, and any modern steel vessel, would not have done well in the conditions she willingly sought battle with, and any competent sailor would not have attempted putting her in that situation, in THAT location. Ive never been at sea and ive read enough to know that much, its simply historic. The newbie crewmate's likely hadn't the knowledge or experience to know any better what they were heading into, and in fact, by all accounts were lied to before setting sail from New London. Walbridge said he would head east and round the storms far eastern side. Yet shortly after leaving port he turned Bounty southwest directly into the storm. The crew at that point were hapless passengers with a madman at the helm.

The other crew aboard likely did, or should have known better, and likely knew Walbridge's true intentions, and should have made those intentions clearly known to the newbies before casting off. But regardless whether those crew were advised or not, they were likely given misleading information about the ships true capabilities and weather handling, mechanical issues, etc.. The ship was clearly not ready to tackle those kind of conditions.

Thus while Walbridge death could be considered suicide, Christians death should be considered willful manslaughter, and the more experienced crew should be held fully responsible. Walbridge should have been relieved of command, by force if necessary, the moment he turned the ship from an easterly course.

Odds are there will never be another Bounty, we have all lost a true and historic masterpiece. The costs to build a ship like that today would be simply unrealistic. Because of one mans short sighted ideals, she will lie forever in the depths. And it all could have been prevented so easily.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
What baffles me is if the ship was in trouble why didn't he head west? He could have gotten into much calmer conditions in the lee of Cape Lookout since the winds were from the North or North East. It was said he was 90 miles southeast of Hatteras so not a very long distance to be very close to a deep water port (Morehead City or Wilmington).

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
The CG is investigating this, in the reference of safety. No criminal or civil investigation is going to take place, according to their official website.

So, what makes this a foolish act, and not a crime? There were 4.9 million reasons to sail that ship directly into that storm.

I think not investigating this fully, is a crime in and of itself.

Sep 20, 2006
The CG is investigating this, in the reference of safety. No criminal or civil investigation is going to take place, according to their official website.

So, what makes this a foolish act, and not a crime? There were 4.9 million reasons to sail that ship directly into that storm.

I think not investigating this fully, is a crime in and of itself.
CG won't but would a Marine Board of Inquiry investigate and press charges if warranted?

http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/1594455/

The district formal investigation will probe every aspect of the accident and will determine as closely as possible:
  1. the cause of the accident;
  2. whether there is evidence that any failure of material or equipment was involved or contributed to the casualty;
  3. whether there is evidence that any act of misconduct, inattention to duty, negligence, or willful violation of the law on the part of any licensed or certificated person contributed to the casualty;
  4. whether there is evidence that any Coast Guard or other government agency personnel caused or contributed to the casualty; and
  5. whether the accident should be further investigated by a Marine Board of Investigation.

May 27, 2012
What baffles me is if the ship was in trouble why didn't he head west? He could have gotten into much calmer conditions in the lee of Cape Lookout since the winds were from the North or North East. It was said he was 90 miles southeast of Hatteras so not a very long distance to be very close to a deep water port (Morehead City or Wilmington).
In his own words, he wanted to get as close to the eye as possible from the southeast. He was right where he said he wanted to be. And the engineer and more seasoned crew went right along with him and took a bunch of newbies along with, putting them in grave danger. It is only by the hand of God the CG was able to rescue so many.

Being the ship had been for sale continuously since 2010, for $4.6 Million, and no buyers, intentional loss to claim insurance should definetely be investigated.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I have a very firm policy, whenever something occurs that there seems to be no logical answer, look at the money.

In fact, most things in life can be answered that way as well..

It was a scuttling, baby. Nobody can be that stupid.

May 27, 2012
One doesn't need a hurricane or risk life to scuttle a vessel..
:snooty:
True. But if one just happens to come along and we can.......

It is highly possible. There really is no logic to the ships 4 day track, the storm was clearly avoidable.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
The captain was no dummy. Yet, he plays the roll of a stogie in the video interview. Why?

The original pilot for Gilligan's Island had Gilligan coming off smarter and more in control.

I guess all insurance apps in the future for tall ships, will ask the additional question, do you chase hurricanes?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Gents;

Alll of us can only guess what the skipper was thinking but can we simply close this thread. Two lifes were lost to include the skipper and if most of you had known this fellow, he was very capable and a gentleman. The skipper paid dearly for his actions.
Frankly when any life is lost at sea as a fellow sailor, we lost another sailor/friend and that alone we should mourn instead of scorn.

crazy dave condon

Status
Not open for further replies.