Simple Traveler Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2012
Catalina 30 Steppingstone, NY
Hi-

I'm in the process of slowly and modestly improving a 1980 C-30 tall rig which is currently in the water.

The current traveler arrangement is factory original which makes getting the boom upwind much more laborious. I would like to rig the original traveler with updated controls improving my ability to trim. It does not have to be beautiful state of the art, I am aware Catalina offers a brand new drop in replacement.

I included an image of a boat I noticed in my mooring field which accomplished this upgrade and I was wondering if anyone could comment on what hardware to purchase or if they have done this already. Any specs, a parts list or recommendations would be very helpful.

Also included is a stock image from Catalina Direct (just to refresh your memory:) of how my traveler is currently configured.

Thanks!
Alex K.
PrimeTime

Attachments

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Prime, you have no lines to adjust your traveler? Is that second picture a manual, hand-adjusted setup?

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Yes it is , I have the same on my 1982 and also wondered if an upgrade of the original was feasable without going to a flat traveller

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Curved travelers don't work and are even worse without control lines. You might want to consider visiting Garhauer who makes a great upgrade.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Last edited:
Mar 11, 2010
IMHO, I would go with a new straight traveler package. By the time you've purchased the materials to modify your old one, you're close enough to buy the new one.

We have the curved traveler with end blocks and lines. There is no problem getting the traveler car windward or leeward, plenty of purchase . We cured the mainsheet easing problems by going down to 3/8" 12-strand line and removing one block (at the gooseneck).

BTW, the first picture seems to show the fiddle block at the traveler car having a cam cleat. With the green mainsheet coiled up there, it looks like the sheet can be worked from the helm, while at the same time, the other end is lead forward and can be trimmed at the cabintop winch too? This double-ended method looks REAL handy. All I'd have to do is replace my current fiddle with one having a cam. Thanks for the pic!

Rob

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Curved travelers don't work and are even worse without control lines. You might want to consider visiting Garhauer who makes a great upgrade.
I agree........they don't make sense.. if you have to adjust the mainsheet everytime you move the traveller..... what good is it... the design is strictly cosmetic. However.... neil's comment was interesting.

Jan 13, 2012
Re: Is that so?

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comment. Out of curiosity where do you typically buy your sailing hardware from (if you buy online)?

Thanks,
Alex K.
PrimeTime

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
alex, besides jeff lazar it's a good time for you to forget catlaina direct and get with garhauer instead of this forum, ok?

Jan 13, 2012
Prime, you have no lines to adjust your traveler? Is that second picture a manual, hand-adjusted setup?
The second picture is the current setup on my boat. I'd like to install end controls and amend the current track car, just need specific suggestions on hardware. Thanks, Alex K.

Jan 22, 2008
Out of curiosity where do you typically buy your sailing hardware from (if you buy online)?
I usually don't buy sailing hardware online. As my handle suggests I'm an old school sort, prefer holding a part in my hand before buying.

To make matters more difficult I'm a cheap S.O.B. My mantra is to never ever pay retail for anything when it comes to boating. Living in a major population center and boating Mecca I have three used and surplus sailing hardware sources available. I scour them first, usually find what I'm looking for sooner or later.

A follow-up on Joe's remark that my previous comment was interesting:
I have a character flaw where I react to absolute generalizations. The 'curved travelers don't work' statement got the reaction. My curved traveler might take more attention and trimming and I might lose a tenth of a knot in a turn due to lost leach tension through the wind eye but guess what, I don't care. My style of sailing does not include constantly tweaking the traveler, the outhaul tension, the boom vang, the Cunningham and countless other adjustments some like to fuss with incessantly. I'll confess to tensioning the backstay upwind but other than that bring me another brewski. My traveler works fine for me and as I tried to point out, it worked fine for a vintage Catalina 30 that owned the 2009 Ensenada race, the largest international sailboat race in the world.

I learned to sail before travelers of any sort became popular so I'd be fine with no traveler at all. How many of y'all would consider owning a sailboat without a traveler? I did. I sold it a couple of decades ago but recently found it for sale in Malaysia. Yep, extensive cruising and no traveler, curved, straight or otherwise. How can this be?

On another forum the moderator once made the comment that sailors who don't race are poor sailors and an interesting exchange followed. Suffice it to say he hasn't repeated the comment.

Jan 13, 2012
I usually don't buy sailing hardware online. As my handle suggests I'm an old school sort, prefer holding a part in my hand before buying.

To make matters more difficult I'm a cheap S.O.B. My mantra is to never ever pay retail for anything when it comes to boating. Living in a major population center and boating Mecca I have three used and surplus sailing hardware sources available. I scour them first, usually find what I'm looking for sooner or later.
Thanks for that idea Neil, I'll ask around on that point.. the boat came with a rigid vang so I'm not in a rush to swap out the curved traveler yet until I play with it first. Best, Alex K.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
I'm with Neil and his attitude toward sailing. Yes, I like to have a nice boat, but my sails may well be the ones that came with the boat in 1976. Do I care? Not really. To me, sailing is a diversion, an escape from the work week. I would love to have all the latest and greatest toys to make a boat ultra modern, but really, what would I do with it? I have no interest in racing, yet I have a pretty good grip on how sailboats work.

Whichever moderator made the comment about racers being the best sailors needs to chill. I raced as a youngster, and I saw tons of other racers that didn't know beans about sailing...they were just the typical competitive "look at me" types that were trying to stroke their own egos by racing.

Like Neil said..."pass me another brewski"!

Jan 22, 2008
I have raced, it's just not what I go sailing for, relaxation. I might not be the first guy to make it to the club but while the skippers are arguing their protests at the committee table I'll be found at the bar buying my crew, the Swedish bobsled team, a round.

Oh, and for the record - that boorish moderator was not here, completely different forum.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm the guy who said that. :)

Neil, I agree with you and your sail trim in that picture is just great.

My suggestion was for folks who are specifically asking about traveler upgrades. The OP had "need to move pins" to adjust the traveler with no remote control lines. Maybe I should have said "while you're at it...get a Garhauer package.: :) Garhauer KNOWS Catalinas.

Sailing with a curved traveler is not a problem for those skippers who know how to use them. Just a tad easier with the straight track, that' s all.

Thanks for the input, well written.

Stu

Mar 11, 2010
Prime, you have a few vendors to sort through. Here's a link to Harken's site which you might start out evaluating the load requirements:
http://www.harken.com/charts/travelerusechart.php
They or another manufacturer can certainly sell you whatever you need to accomplish your goal. Otherwise, you can gain a look at what you need to look for in the surplus/pre-owned stores by pouring over their catalogs. I can see a nice use for windward sheeting of the traveler (not needing to release the leeward side first) but the cost is just crazy. How about a boneyard? Any derelict boats you could pick off (after first stopping in at the yard office)?

Good Luck,
Rob

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
For the record, I put a new Garhauer straight traveler on during the renovation of my boat, and I love it! It makes trimming the main a no-brainer - no need to do anything with the main sheet, just move the traveler car.

My reason for dropping the dough for the traveler? I am into simple. My wife loves to go sail, but doesn't know a whole lot about it, and this helps keep peace in the cockpit.

Jan 13, 2012
Thanks everyone for your input, very helpful.
Last quick question, does anyone rig their traveler as a closed loop? Any opinions on that?
Thanks, Alex K.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks everyone for your input, very helpful.
Last quick question, does anyone rig their traveler as a closed loop? Any opinions on that?
Thanks, Alex K.
"Closed Loop"??? could you be more descriptive...is that like "single line"? I rigged my end boom traveller as a single line rather than two separate control lines... easier to keep track of the it that way.

BTW here's the link for Garhauer's travelers...... they also make boat specific upgrade kits... if you replace the whole deal.... go with the straight track.... sorry neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.