Replacement of cabin lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
Have any of fellow Bavaria owners replaced the original cabin lights with LEDs? I believe the lights are pretty much the same in most Bavarias - 24V, 5 amp. Would be nice to replace just the bulb and not the whole light fixture. Thanks!

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
We replaced all the lights on our Bavaria 40 Ocean a couple years ago and are very happy. when I made the decision I only bought a few (glad I did). I bought the bright white ones and hated them. I then bought the warm white and loved them. We have the 2 prong G4 bulb base on all fixtures in our boat. I put the 6 SMD LED circular model. See the link below. I still need to find replacements for the florescent lights in the head and shower and nav desk. I'm not a florescent fan. Buy one or two and see if you like them. make sure the base and diameter of your light fixtures will fit the specs listed in the LED's you find. I like this site because they provide detailed specs for the LED's.

LEDwholesalers.com was where I bought ours on sale for about $9 each. I see they are on sale now for under $8 a piece so I might pick a few spares up. (I have no affiliation - just a happy customer)
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/

G4-6 LED
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=277

You said you have a 24volt system - I didn't realize Bararia made a 24volt system.

Good luck.

Last edited:
May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
Thanks for the info. I believe all Bavaria boats are on a 24V system in Europe. The light I checked in the cabin said it was 24V, 5amp. I don't think it matters, other than it draws 12 watts (Vs 1 watt or so for a comparative LED). Cheers, Bob

Jun 18, 2012
Bavaria 36 North Palm Beach
LED replacements

Have any of fellow Bavaria owners replaced the original cabin lights with LEDs? I believe the lights are pretty much the same in most Bavarias - 24V, 5 amp. Would be nice to replace just the bulb and not the whole light fixture. Thanks!
The G-4 Cabin Light "The Brick" from cruisingsolutions.com is a perfect LED substitute for your current halogen cabin light bulbs. You won't know the difference except that you'll be able to run all your cabin lights on the same amount of power it now takes to run just one cabin light and you fixtures won't get hot any more.

Jan 19, 2010
Bavaria 38 Ocean Portoroz
Re: LED replacements

BAVARIA in Europe uses only 12V electrical system. Till now I did not see any other specification on light bulbs as voltage in Volts (V) and power consumption in watts (W).

Batman

Nov 13, 2012
Hunter Legend 35.5 Muskegon,MI.
This winter I am in the process of making my own LED replacement bulbs for my boat. I found the bulbs for $ 1.76 each on ebay from a nice guy in China of course. I will be soldering the leads to the base of some old incandescent ones that I took out. So I figure from what I have seen advertised out there from $7.99 to $19.99 per bulb, I will be saving several hundred dollars by doing a little soldering myself. But, I do have a question for someone who may be an electronics engineer or who may just know the reason. We are trying to save battery power by installing LEDs but then manufactures put in current limiting resistors on the LED circuit. Why? The resistors get warm which means they are using power but give off zero lumens. So why not use 12 volt LEDs in the first place and forget the resistors? I would think a small fuse link would be a good solution to protecting the circuit?

Mar 9, 2012
I bought ready made that fit in the old fixtures. Easy and fast to replace. 14 of them on my Bavaria 46. Great light. Was frightened to risk a fire by doing it myself. 12 volts dc shorting in a light fixture is a great way to loose your boat.

Scott
Www.crewsailing.se

Status
Not open for further replies.