Just joined Like to say Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Siren 17.2 Siren Brooklyn CT
I just bought an O'Day 20 1974. I'm looking for other owners of a 1974 O'Day 20. I have many questions about the boat. I will be trailering the boat. Thank you very much for your help. RonC

Jul 9, 2009
2 20 saugerties,NY
start sailing

I also bought an O'Day 20 (75) recently and have been working on it and hope to have it in the water in a week or so. The CB does concern me because the boat is on a trailer and I can't determine if the pendant is securely or not. Most of the work has been cosmetic--the boat came with some real good sails so I'm anxious to give it a try. Bill

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
i have an 1974 oday 20 which i keep on a mooring. if worried about the cb line it is easy to drop it and check it while out in the water using a mask. (i even replace mine while in the water)

the first thing i did was add a swim ladder as a safety feature. if you don't have one you should add one. i believe they are even required in canada. this is the one i installed:

http://railmakers.com/ladders.htm

ps: if the line comes loose and you need to raise it to get in, just run a line under the boat starting from the bow and pull it back to around the winches and pull it tight to raise the board and tie it off. that should get you home.

Jan 22, 2008
Re: start sailing

Hi Bill
Thanks for replying. I'm also working on my boat, but I'm not planning on taking her out till next season. I have a friend Steve who has the same boat only it's a 78. He takes me out on his.

Jan 22, 2008
HI to LordNelson also and I thank you for your reply. I'm glad to see you have the same year. I can't find any info on the rigging what so ever. I have most of it figured out. But my biggest question would be about the mast support. All sail boats I've owned had support in the cabin under the mast
this one has none what so ever.
Thanks for the ladder idear. I realy need that. After a day of sailing we like to stop by a sandy Island and eat lunch and swim, like my picture shows.
I'm also still tring to get every thing registered. The boat comes from N.Y. so it needs to be inspected. The boat sailed on Lake Ontario and was moored at Fair Haven. Can't wait to get it altogether.
Hope to talk more about the boat RonC

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I just bought an O'Day 20 1974. I'm looking for other owners of a 1974 O'Day 20. I have many questions about the boat. I will be trailering the boat. Thank you very much for your help. RonC
Welcome aboard Ron. One of my friends has owned an O'Day 20 for quite a few years now and he likes it. He also bought a 1986 O'Day 272 a couple of years ago. I helped him sail up to Bristol RI from Cape Cod Ma. He put it on the mooring and used it a couple of times. For two years in a row, he has put his O'Day 20 on the mooring. Sometimes, bigger isn't always better. Good luck with the O'Day 20. Myself, I'm a small boat sailor and I'm staying that way.
Joe

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
the support for the mast is the cabin bulkheads which also has the chain plates for the side stays attached to them. the one on the port side ends about where the bottom of the mast sits. hopefully, no former owner removed the bulkheads for more cabin room. if they did, you probably need to replace them.

here is a link where you can purchase a manual and find other information:

http://www.iheartodays.com/index.html

feel free to ask more questions either by post or email.
ps. posting might get you more info from other owners.

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks I'm going to check that out. Can I post pics with my reply? If so I could take photos and show them unless the manual will show me all this Thanks RonC

Jan 22, 2008
Hi Joe
This is as big as I want to go. I want to stay a trailer sailer.
RonC

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hi Joe
This is as big as I want to go. I want to stay a trailer sailer.
RonC
Ron,
I trailer-sailed for about eight years back in the late 1980s and I really enjoyed it. It allowed me to visit places that were a little too far to sail to from where I live, but I could trailer to areas a lot closer to these places where I wanted to sail. Age has a way of creeping up on all of us though, and we sometimes need to change for a more easier way to keep boating. I bit the bullet and bought bottom paint for my boat. Then I started using a mooring at the club. My roller trailer bit the dust and I bought a tandem Aluminum bunk trailer which I only use twice a year. I have no qualms today about keeping my boat on a mooring. I belong to a yacht club and I get all my ice and water free. We have a large dock to pull up to and load up or unload. The only pain in the butt is having to open a dilapidated drawbridge on the river with hour restrictions on week days to get out to the bay. Outside of that, if I do get out there I usually sail 15 to 20 miles out to the bay and visit my favorite coves and islands, sneak a few quahogs, catch fish and cook them on board, or go beach combing. I have been going on one or two day cruises every week. The boat is small, but it's large enough for me and my First Mate, Penelope Pitbull.
Joe

Jan 22, 2008
sounds great Joe. I think I'd rather moor also because it's getting harder the older you get to set it up but there isn't allot of choices As long as I can sail.
RonC

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
sounds great Joe. I think I'd rather moor also because it's getting harder the older you get to set it up but there isn't allot of choices As long as I can sail.
RonC
Keep your eyes open for a good club in your area where you can have access to a good ramp and plenty of live docking for loading and unloading. Boatyards and private marinas aren't really the answer. I found that out a couple of years ago the hard way. When I first joined the club back in 1995, I was able to leave my boat sitting on the trailer with the mast up on club property, and use it whenever I wanted to go sailing. I didn't have bottom paint on the boat back then and I was able to borrow an empty mooring for a few days a week. That gets pretty old after a while. I got tired of having to clean the marine growth of the hull of my boat when I left it in the water too long. Clubs are great if you can find the right one, and you can still trailer to other areas if you like. Good luck with the O'Day 20.
Joe
http://www.myspace.com/shawometyc

http://www.shawometyc.org/

Mar 21, 2008
Oday 20 College Park
Hi Ron and all,
Just joined this forum also, and just recently finished a complete rebuild of my Oday 20. Still have some minor projects, but she is back on the water. We trailer sail all over FL. I would be happy to share pics of the project.
Jim

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
i for one would like to see pictures of the oday 20 rebuild. it looks like a new boat. what year is it?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hi Ron and all,
Just joined this forum also, and just recently finished a complete rebuild of my Oday 20. Still have some minor projects, but she is back on the water. We trailer sail all over FL. I would be happy to share pics of the project.
Jim
Hi Jim!
The boat looks great! You did a super job on her. Don't be afraid to do modifications on her. I've done at least 28 mods on my OD 222 through the years. Some of them are posted on this forum under "Owner Directory"-"Owner Photo Album"-"Trinkka." I understand that we're talking about two different models of O'Day sailboats, but there are some good ideas out there that can be adapted to any model sailboat. I like the idea of having Gennie winches with tracks & cars on the combing. My boat wasn't supposed to come through that way. I made that change myself. You probably have no need for a mast raising/lowering Gin Pole for your boat, but maybe you could add a mast holding crutch with a roller in it so that you can slide the mast aft or foreword. Little things like that can really cut the set up time down quite a bit. I use quick release shackles for my main sheet and a press button quick pin on my fore stay. My back stay has a regular turnbuckle and a Johnson Handy-Lock on it. The Handy-Lock is like an adjustable back stay, but I've always used it to throw enough slack in the fore stay to disconnect it for lowering the mast. If you and Ron do a lot of trailering, you may want to consider doing some of these things to your boats. Handy-Locks are very pricey. I bought mine used from a rigger. With that said though, there are probably some other type of lever type adjustable turnbuckles that can work just as well as the handy-Lock. If you have a tip up rudder on your boat, you may want to add a rudder blade pendant line to hold it up. This would allow you to launch the boat at the ramp with the rudder on and tiller tied off in the center. I don't trailer my boat as much as I used to, but I'm glad that I did a lot of these mods years ago because it's really paid off today by saving me a lot of time and prevented a lot of needless work and aggravation. Good luck with your O'Day 20s guys and always remember when you get an attack of "Big Boat-itis", it isn't what we own that makes us happy, it's what we do.
Smooth Sailing!
Joe

Mar 21, 2008
Oday 20 College Park
i for one would like to see pictures of the oday 20 rebuild. it looks like a new boat. what year is it?
The boat is a '77, and sat for about 10 years before I found it in March of '08. So "Lazarus" was an appropriate name after completion in December '08. The boat was completely stripped of all interior, wiring plumbing, hardware, bottom paint, and every screw except those holding the deck to the lull. I low pressure sand blasted off 3 coats of bottom paint, and then started the rest of the bodywork on hull and topsides. The gelcoat was too tired to bring back so she got a coat of urethane primer and 3 coats of urethane finish, all after alot of prep. As you guys know its all in the prep.
She got all new big ticket items like cabin cushions, sails, rigging, bimini and a new 5 hp 4 stroke to replace the '67 Evinrude she was sporting!
The boat was in pretty poor shape, I probably should have found a better subject to invest so much time and money in, but I have a soft spot for the older Odays.
The rudder was broke internally at the bolt line and had seen lots of repairs. That rebuild is whole article by itself. I was determined not to buy a new one! The mast had sufferd mutliple bends in all directions but no kinks. Actually the last time she sailed was due to the forestay finding its wasy out of the turnbuckle and coming down on the previous owner and the cabin. I will have to show you the jig to straighten it out. Here are some pics.
Hope you guys like looking at boat projects as much as I do!
Jim

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You did a super job on that boat Jim. When you get a chance maybe you could elaborate on the rudder blade fix along with some pictures if any are available. A lot of guys are interested in being able to fix their rudders. We had a guy in Russia who fixed the blade on his O'Day 32 over the winter and he used this forum quite a bit to gain knowledge. Also, one of the guys in my club built a spade rudder for his O'Day 27 from practically scratch. He used the same rudder shaft but that was it. As it is, they're asking an arm and a leg for rudder blades for boats like ours. If more guys start repairing their own, maybe the prices will come down on them.
Joe

Mar 21, 2008
Oday 20 College Park
Hi Jim!
The boat looks great! You did a super job on her. Don't be afraid to do modifications on her. I've done at least 28 mods on my OD 222 through the years. Some of them are posted on this forum under "Owner Directory"-"Owner Photo Album"-"Trinkka." I understand that we're talking about two different models of O'Day sailboats, but there are some good ideas out there that can be adapted to any model sailboat. I like the idea of having Gennie winches with tracks & cars on the combing. My boat wasn't supposed to come through that way. I made that change myself. You probably have no need for a mast raising/lowering Gin Pole for your boat, but maybe you could add a mast holding crutch with a roller in it so that you can slide the mast aft or foreword. Little things like that can really cut the set up time down quite a bit. I use quick release shackles for my main sheet and a press button quick pin on my fore stay. My back stay has a regular turnbuckle and a Johnson Handy-Lock on it. The Handy-Lock is like an adjustable back stay, but I've always used it to throw enough slack in the fore stay to disconnect it for lowering the mast. If you and Ron do a lot of trailering, you may want to consider doing some of these things to your boats. Handy-Locks are very pricey. I bought mine used from a rigger. With that said though, there are probably some other type of lever type adjustable turnbuckles that can work just as well as the handy-Lock. If you have a tip up rudder on your boat, you may want to add a rudder blade pendant line to hold it up. This would allow you to launch the boat at the ramp with the rudder on and tiller tied off in the center. I don't trailer my boat as much as I used to, but I'm glad that I did a lot of these mods years ago because it's really paid off today by saving me a lot of time and prevented a lot of needless work and aggravation. Good luck with your O'Day 20s guys and always remember when you get an attack of "Big Boat-itis", it isn't what we own that makes us happy, it's what we do.
Smooth Sailing!
Joe
Thanks Joe, I will share some of my updrade projects as well. Today's project is getting some ventilation forward. The boat when I got it had one of those inverted dog bowl vents (what I call them) and leaked enough to allow some damage to happen to the surrounding deck core. During last year's rebuild I glassed the opening flush until I could get to this project. I recently bought a NOS Lewmar 12x12(10-1/4" r.o.) low profile hatch ($115) at my favorite marine salvage store The Sailors Exchange in St Augustine. IMHO a bigger hatch is not needed here, as the forward deck is so low to the vee birth you cannot climb out of it. I am mounting it so to cut out the old vent location, so I can rid any remaining damage that I could not get to.
Attached are the starting pics.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
interesting that your oday 20 does not have a hatch in front of the mast on the cabin. my '74 does and it appears to have more space forward of the hatch than your model so there must have been a redesign of the cabin. my hatch is kind of a pain, however, as sometimes it jumps out and graps the jib sheet when coming about forcing me to go forward to release it.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Hi Ron -

Welcome to the club. I'm sure you will enjoy the boat and you'll find this forum a great way to get ideas on projects/fixes on your new toy.

And Jim, that is one beautiful restoration. Now that your boat is done, I'm sure you are getting a little bored and need a new challenge. I would be happy to drop mine off for the winter. Seriously though, great work!

Dave
O'Day 222

Status
Not open for further replies.