Fridge Unit Replacement Help on Beneteau 40 (oceanis or not). How did you get it out?

Aug 12, 2013
Catalina 320 Vancouver
The refrigeration unit on my recently purchased Beneteau 40 - 3 cabin isn't functioning. The prior owner made some odd attempts to assess it, but didn't get far. I have tried shorting the thermostat contacts which did result in the fan starting, but nothing else from there. It's old enough now that I'm happy to put the funds into replacing it (have done the same on a past boat with great success), but how the heck does one get it out without serious destruction of the cabinetry around it? It clearly won't fit out the front, and even unscrewing and ungluing the front of the cabinet doesn't look like it will provide access.

Would love a few tips from someone who has done this. I am guessing that given these units are now 16+ years old I'm not the first.

Thanks for any comments in advance.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
These units are what are called a split unit. Unless the plates in the refrigeration compartment have been damaged, there is no need to replace them. Only the compressor and condenser require attention and possible replacement.

I have tried shorting the thermostat contacts which did result in the fan starting, but nothing else from there.
If you're doing this work yourself, you're going to need a hell of a lot more checking than that before making the decision to tear it all out. This is the equivalent of getting rid of your car because the ash tray is full.

Would love a few tips from someone who has done this. I am guessing that given these units are now 16+ years old I'm not the first.
16+ years old and you're ready to deep six it ? ? ?
My refrigeration unit is now 25 years old and behaves perfectly. I clean the fan and condensor every other year or so and recently rewired the compressor to run at high speed while AC is available and low speed while at anchor for a slight increase in efficiency.

If you are not capable of doing the work yourself, I would suggest you call in a refrigeration mechanic and probably save yourself a few boat units when you find you have nothing more than a simple problem.

I you insist on doing it yourself, determine the manufacturer of the unit and then search their pages for how the unit works and troubleshooting.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree with Ralph, more investigation is required. My unit is from 1986 - do the math - it still works just fine. I replaced the electronic module in 2016. There are many different parts to any refrigeration unit, any one of which could lead to an inoperative condition. You need to be a better detective or find someone who knows what he's doing. Good luck.