A Survey for PNW Sailors Re: Anchor Rode

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Since new (12 years ago) I have been carrying 200’ of 5/16” galvanized chain plus 250’ of 5/8” - 3 strand Samson nylon anchor line in our anchor locker (Hunter 33, 12,600 lbs light). Very rarely are we on the anchor line and used a maximum of 250’ of rode (200’ chain + 50 line) once and that was in Drew Hbr on a 4:1 scope in 60’ of water (actually 3.7 in 68’ of water (53’) at high tide (15’)). I am thinking that 450’ is nice but unnecessary for that one time we may have a need but may never come. The reason I would like to reduce the anchor line, by say 100’ - 150’, is to lower the weight of the chain in the anchor locker that is quite shallow and crowded.
So I ask those that cruise and regularly anchor in deeper water (say Desolation and North) how much anchor rode do you carry and what is it’s makeup (chain/line)
Comments are appreciated.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
First time we went to Desolation, we upgraded the rode to 50 ft. of 5/16" chain and 350 ft. of three strand 1/2" nylon. I also throw in a 20# kellet when we're in deep water and can't make a decent scope. If it's blowing hard, I throw in some prayer and someone to babysit our location. I also have the chartplotter anchor alarm lead to the cabin interior with a loud audible. The audible alarm is to wake up the person on anchor watch :facepalm:.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks Ralph. Our hope next year is to venture up past Cape Caution to the Great Bear Rainforest or around Cape Scott circumnavigating the Island. Never having been that far North I’m not quite sure what the requirements will be. Anchorages in the Broughtons didn’t require anything out of the ordinary. But maybe I will hold off doing any cutting until after our trip next year to make a decision.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Totally unfamiliar with the area in question. However, can it be inferred that the area is fjord like with steep drops close to shore...

Asking for a friend......

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
This spring, I will be upgrading the windlass to one that has a chain gypsy instead of the capstan only I currently have. In doing that, I will be significantly increase the length of chain. My plan is to put a athwartship divider in the chain locker to seperate the nylon from chain. The nylon will be in the aft compartment which is behind the chain hawsepipe and the chain will drop straigh down into the foreward compartment. When I deploy all of the chain and get into the nylon rode, I will need to manually pull the nylon rode back into the aft compartment but given the length of chain, I will still remain anchored during this part of the retreaval. Then when I pull the chain rode, I will have full height drop and the chain will be at the bottom of the locker.

Apr 5, 2009
Totally unfamiliar with the area in question. However, can it be inferred that the area is fjord like with steep drops close to shore...

Up here in the PWN, we have 15' or more of tidal swing and the reagon is very mountainous. Deep anchorages are not uncommon and many times, safe anchoring will involve dropping the hook in very deep water and then tying the stern to shore with a lone stern line.
The shallowest charted depth I will use is 15' and that is only if I have personally scouted the full swing to make sure there are no surprises. 35' is very common and then when you add 15' if tide, you are in 50'. Given 4' of freeboard, and a 4:1 scope, that means 220' of rode out.
This photo is of Echo Bay on Sucia Is and is one of the most popular anchorages in the area. Most of the bay is charged at more than 25' with 35' being closer to the norm. On a busy summer weekend, it is not uncommon to find several hundred boats in this anchorage.
20240809_110353.jpg

Apr 5, 2009
Thanks Ralph. Our hope next year is to venture up past Cape Caution to the Great Bear Rainforest or around Cape Scott circumnavigating the Island. Never having been that far North I’m not quite sure what the requirements will be. Anchorages in the Broughtons didn’t require anything out of the ordinary. But maybe I will hold off doing any cutting until after our trip next year to make a decision.
Will you be taking a stern shore line? I have heard that many places that is the only safe way to anchor.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Will you be taking a stern shore line? I have heard that many places that is the only safe way to anchor.
Hayden I do have 250’ of Quickline mounted in a reel on my pushpit and have an additional 300’ of 5/16” Samson MFP to use if needed in my cockpit locker. However, stern tying is not my favourite method of anchoring and will only resort to it when forced to.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
My PNW experience is 2 weeks of chartering out of Anacortes, and we have anchored in 25 feet or less (at high tide) without feeling restricted on anchorages.

I'm surprised no one has suggested 50 feet of chain and the rest three strand line. (400 to 500 feet of line for some of your anchorage preferences.) 70 feet of line weighs a lot less than 50 feet of chain, going with the difference in recommended scope for the two types of rode.

200 feet of chain is a huge load! And, that weight in the bow does have a real impact on pitching in a seaway.

Aug 18, 2024
Sceptre 41 Vancouver
We regularly go North of Cape Caution. We have 230' of chain and 180' of line on our primary rode/anchor. We go to the line only occasionally BUT it was always good to have as an option. 50-80' anchoring depths are not uncommon. Having enough rode really opens up options.

Haing a large modern anchor also a big help.

HATE
stern tying (and avoid it)!

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I'm surprised no one has suggested 50 feet of chain and the rest three strand line.
David, swing radius could present a problem with a long line rode in anchorages such as Hayden has described. The selection of ground tackle as with all most things in sailing is always a compromise.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'm surprised no one has suggested 50 feet of chain and the rest three strand line. (400 to 500 feet of line for some of your anchorage preferences.)
That's what I mentioned I had in post #2.

First time we went to Desolation, we upgraded the rode to 50 ft. of 5/16" chain and 350 ft. of three strand 1/2" nylon.
Without doing the math (lazy here) I would sat that more chain above a certain length is getting into the law of diminishing returns. Chain hanging vertically does not help the anchor lay flat.

Beyond all that bull:poop::poop::poop:, I still have great faith in that 20# kellet hanging from the upper end of the chain to hold the tail of the anchor as low as possible.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
how much anchor rode do you carry and what is it’s makeup (chain/line)
Hi Len. Been all over PNW waters for years anchoring hundreds of times. Except for one time in one location (Quigley Bay, 60' of water), rarely had to anchor in over 30' of water. Pick your location. I carry 50' of primary chain with 150' of rope, connected to another 50' of chain and 150' of rope, just in case. I also use a 20 pound lead kellet to help with centenary. Most locations around Desolation Sound have decent anchorages that require around 30' of water or less and are quite popular during the peak season. I try to avoid them and look for places that receive little traffic. I normally shoot for 20-25' of water mid tide and drop 110-130' of rode depending upon weather conditions.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
BC waters are not "Pacific Northwest"...

They are the SW of Canada and the NE of the Pacific Ocean.

In case anyone was wondering....
There are many references that would agree and many that would disagree. The map of the PNW can change depending on who is defining where the Pacific Northwest is. Regardless it was the Forum under “Post New Topic” that closest captured those who I thought I should pose the question to. Maybe someday the Administrator will add a forum entitled “Salish Sea Cruisers” that would include those from Olympia, WA to say Campbell River, BC. But in the meantime . . .

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island

In a lot of places you could tie to shore and still have a hundred feet of water under the keel. Most places will be just a bit deeper then here at home.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Len. I’ve yet to anchor both of the gulf islands. I’ve explored the charts prior to acquiring my chain and rode. I settled on 105 of chain and 250 8 plait rode carried in the bow anchor locker. In the center of the boat I carry a second bucket of 100ft chain. I also have 500 ft of line on a drum for stern tie if needed.

I sat out a night in Port Ludlow with winds above 50 knots. Good holding in that bay. 18 ft tide change that night. We swung on all the chain plus 50ft of rode and 20 ft of snubber. Danced a bit but held solid.

I’m hoping this rig is enough to find success in those northern waters.