Newbie question: First Boat - Am I in the right place?

Sep 28, 2024
Hunter 15 Thousand Island Lake
So many great comments..
define what you mean by a shallow lake?
The lake itself is plenty deep (up to 80’), but there are several shallow spots, docks, sand and rock bars, and channels we need to navigate, so a moveable keel or centerboard is required.
“swing keel Catalina 22 was ideal for pulling up to beaches or secluded lake shores for a BBQ on land and swimming with the kids”; this is a definite option, and probably the biggest boat I’m looking at.
“while you personally may be open to a day sailer … if you want your wife to enjoy sailing for anything more than a few hours, there needs to be a place for a Porta Potti “, Agreed.
This is one of those questions that is hard to answer without some real experience. Originally, my intent was just to have a little sailboat, to run out and enjoy the sail for a couple hours on a nice day. Reading this forum got my wheels rolling, and I added cruisers with cabins to the possibilities.
“So, are you still open to “day sailers” . yes - actually, sometimes I think the best plan might be to revert back to a small, easy to handle boat, just to have some sailing fun, and to learn my way “around the ropes” - determining if I need a bigger boat in a year or two..
“lessons locally and that will give you opportunity to sail and evaluate a few designs… “
yes, trying to arrange that now.

“If you spend some time at your local marinas, you will get a feel… “ honestly, these lakes are better known for fishing boats and pontoon boats than sail boats.

Do you know if there is a particular boat (or design) which allows for easier mast lowering/raising while ON the water? (There is a bridge I would have to go under to access 8 of the 15 lakes).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
Do you know if there is a particular boat (or design) which allows for easier mast lowering/raising while ON the water? (There is a bridge I would have to go under to access 8 of the 15 lakes).
I am not aware of a specific brand of boat that has this. I am aware of many boats that have been adapted to this. On the size boat you will be looking for, it is not a particularly difficult modification. It is often done through the construction of a Tabernacle so that the mast hinges at the base and you set up a method to raise and lower the mast on that hinge. Other systems, more common on these smaller boats, is setting up some poles that attach to the mast and facilitate raising and lowering. The downside of those systems is storage of those pole when sailing.

I'd think if you are frequently going under that bridge, then building a Tabernacle system on the boat would be easier in the long run.

dj

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
As to stepping and lowering the mast on the water...

I'm sure there are several boats out there that allow for this.

I know of several MacGregor 26S,D,C,M, and X owners do this routinely using a block and tackle and gin pole. When unstepped, the mast rests in a yoke at the stern of the boat. Baby stays prevent the mast from wandering too much side-to-side.The rope from the block and tackle feeds back to one of the winches to provide control and force amplification.

Stability being one of your criteria, I would point to the MacGregor 25. It draws just under 2 feet with the cast iron centerboard up. Designed with trailering and daysailing in mind. It is equipped with an enclosed porta-potty head.

This from a couple of data sites: The first version was called the VENTURE 25. With relatively few changes, it became the MACGREGOR 25 (around 1980). With more than 7000 boats sold, it's one of the most popular models from this builder.

As mentioned before, I sail and love a 26S. The extra foot gives you a lazarette and full queen-sized berth under the cockpit. 1650 lbs with the water ballast empty and a draft of 1.25' with the centerboard up. Probably a little more tippy than a boat with a cast iron or bronze swing keel.