Newbie question: First Boat - Am I in the right place?

Sep 28, 2024
Hunter 15 Thousand Island Lake
I'm noticing MANY of these used boats are VERY old - like 40 years old.
Is there a point where these "age out"? I mean I realize tech, sails, gear, can be updated, but does the actual fiberglass shell get brittle, or paint become unmanageable at some point?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
MANY of these used boats are VERY old - like 40 years old.
Is there a point where these "age out"?
I hope not. My boat is fiberglass and turned 50 this year. There are wooden boats still going more than 80 years of age. It depends on how the boats were cared for. If the boat design was/is still attractive. Gear wears out and needs removal and replacement like car tires. Boats get dings that need repair much like car bodies. Fiberglass has proved to be a reasonably easy substance to repair.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
Lot's of great suggestions above. I'll add in another suggestion on a somewhat different tack, so to speak. I've owned a lot of boats, but with your description of who and how you will be sailing you might want to look into the Windrider 17. It's a tailorable trimaran that is easy to set up, You could quite easily make a system to raise and lower the mast while sailing. I used to raise and lower the mast on the trailer but I've seen setups where they can do it on the boat. It's great sailing for two people and four people can easily fit - I used to sail mine with my two daughters and wife. It tows behind a small car - I drove mine across the us towing it with a VW Jetta - the car didn't even know it was there... The entire boat and trailer only weights something like 600 to 800 pounds - I don't remember exactly. There is a facebook group dedicated to the Windriders - the only model that sounds like it would work for you is the 17. The rest are too small. Back when I owned that boat, I was seriously considering doing the R2K and the Everglades challenge. Folks do all kinds of crazy stuff with these boats...

Good luck in your quest.

dj

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Where in Upper Michigan?

I sail a Catalina 22 out of the Houghton / Hancock area. We have a small club with members sailing everything from small beach cats to 30' plus racers. I've seen at least one Flying Scott for sale in the Marquette area, which also has some sailing clubs. Also sailed a sail fish / flying fish in some of the inland lakes near Copper Harbor (wouldn't want to take it on the big lake unless it was an exceptional day). It's a fun boat, but not suitable for more than 1-2 people.

Closer to the Wi border, you can find a lot of boats for sale in the Green Bay / Menominee area.

As for the type of boat, it's really hard to say. On inland lakes, or the Portage Canal, etc. you can pretty much sail anything as long as you watch the wind. Venturing out into the big lake (or lakes, depending on where) can be fun, but conditions make a difference. If I was only going to day-sail, I think I'd pick something with either a small cabin, or no cabin.

Small cabin can be nice for keeping gear out of the weather, and providing female passengers with a place to use the head (all we use on my '22 is a 5 gallon pail with a camping toilet seat on top, trash bags and some gel powder). No cabin means extra cockpit space.

Something with a retractable keel / centerboard is nice for inland lakes as they can get shallow quickly. That will also help with launching. Anything with a retractable keel / board means that you can pretty much launch on any ramp a power boat can.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
My first post. I'm not even sure if I am in the right place or forum, so I would be happy to take any direction.

As a kid, I sailed a little 1 sail dinghy around on a small lake and fell in love with it. I loved taking someone with me, or sailing myself for hours.
Now I just turned 63, am retired, and have access to some midsize lakes I would like to sail.

My hopes are;
- to sail it myself most of the time (day sailing)
- possibly do some light fishing once in a while.
- Be able to take my wife, or even another couple, would be great (but it would be infrequent, and 4 persons is not a REQUIREMENT)..
- Speed, or racing is NOT a goal - stability and simplicity IS.
- I would need to trailer it occasionally.
- I'm thinking a trolling motor would be nice for docking, going through channels between lakes, and no wind situations.

Can anyone give me any advice on a boat?
What price range do you have in mind?

Sep 28, 2024
Where in Upper Michigan?
In The Cisco Chain of Lakes, on Thousand Island Lake on the MI/WI line, and I also could sail Table Rock and Bull Shoals on the AR/MO line.

I hope I didn’t give the impression of sailing on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan, because that is NOT in the plans.
Thanks for all the tips!

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
There are other forums on the SBO site that you can also post this question on and get good answers because Ask All Sailors questions do not go to all sailors but only to the Ask All Sailors forum and New Posts. Many of those who are on this forum are well experienced having already decided to be full time sailors or cruisers and everyone is a racer although we don't always tell the other boat we won. I suggest you go to the Trailer Sailors forum and post a new question such as 'what's the best trailer sailor to pull behind my ??? RV' or the brand specific forum.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I sail a MacGregor 26S (water ballast, centerboard) and LOVE it.

You mentioned stability as one criteria. Not easy to find in an easily trailered boat. It may be that a swing keel boat (raisable centerboard made from bronze or other metal) would work for you. Two very popular boats that have this feature are the MacGregor 25 and the Catalina 22. Both are plentiful, parts and sails are readily available, forum support is good, and are designed for trailering. at 2100 and 2500 lbs respectively, they are well within the towing capacities of many vans and trucks. Sometimes the mechanism for operating the keel can be the source of issues, but proper maintenance can avoid this.

There are some fixed-keel boats that are trailerable, but since you like to fish, I think the swing-keel would serve you better, making it possible to navigate shallower waters without getting stuck.

Sep 28, 2024
In The Cisco Chain of Lakes, on Thousand Island Lake on the MI/WI line, and I also could sail Table Rock and Bull Shoals on the AR/MO line.

I hope I didn’t give the impression of sailing on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan, because that is NOT in the plans.
Thanks for all the tips!
SO much helpful info here. A sincere thank you to everyone who’s responded. I’m learning a lot, and studying each comment. I realize it can be tiresome to answer elementary newbie questions, when the asker isn’t even sure if his own needs yet.. Thanks to all for your patience.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
The Flying Scot is one that has been mentioned - I even know someone with one for sale (but I haven't got the details yet).

Ive also had a 420, a flying Dutchman, a Wayfarer, and a Sunfish recommended..
I think a Flying Scot is a wonderful choice, with one exception. My wife grew up sailing one and when we bought our first boat she said it needed a cabin and a head. She'd had enough of baking in the sun and "holding it" for hours, so if that is something that would be a problem for you, then having a little cruiser may be best for you

Sep 28, 2024
I think a Flying Scot is a wonderful choice, with one exception. My wife .. said it needed a cabin and a head… if that would be a problem for you, then having a little cruiser may be best for you…
Yes. As I imagine longer trips, maybe even some overnights, a head might be handy for both my wife and my 63 year old self.
The idea of having a covered, out of the way, NOT underfoot place to store gear and coolers and such seems like it too would be a great advantage.
In my search, I am finding a lot of possibilities, and think I am getting closer to knowing what I “need”.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hey ScottB, definitely look into the Trailer Sailor forum. If you enjoy van camping, having a Trailer Sailor opens up a whole new world of exploration. If you enjoy the Thousand Islands, the 30,000 Islands in Georgian Bay are beyond heaven with a lifetime of exploration. We've been here 17 years and aren't even close to seeing it all.

Scott B

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Sorry, kinda jumped the gun, saw Thousand Island and assumed Canada Thousand Islands. Saw you are in MI. But, still check out the Trailor Sailors, you have great access to the Great Lakes on both side of the border, including Georgian Bay & the North Channel

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ranger 26 is a great boat. It has a iron keel. It sails to it’s PHRF rating and I know of one couple who lived onboard for a winter in the Cheesy area. It’s at the edge of trailerbility at 5,860 lbs displacement and 4.33 ‘ draft. That’s the Mull version. There is also a newer Frers design I know little about.

Sep 28, 2024
Ranger 26 is a great boat. It has a iron keel. It sails to it’s PHRF rating and I know of one couple who lived onboard for a winter in the Cheesy area. It’s at the edge of trailerbility at 5,860 lbs displacement and 4.33 ‘ draft.
Thanks, but that’s getting much bigger, heavier, and deeper than I need. I am in shallow lakes, and just looking for something to have little fun day sailing with.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Thanks, but that’s getting much bigger, heavier, and deeper than I need. I am in shallow lakes, and just looking for something to have little fun day sailing with.
Welcome to the forum. I have a few thoughts to share, as well as a couple of questions for your consideration. Firstly, define what you mean by a shallow lake? You need to determine what draft is practical for your sailing situation. In this regard, designs with either swing keels, lifting centerboards or purposely designed shoal drafts are ideal. Spend time reading these forums to determine what boat meets the needs that you envison. Having said that, a Catalina 22 with a swing keel draws five (5) feet with the keel down. My first swing keel Catalina 22 was ideal for pulling up to beaches or secluded lake shores for a BBQ on land and swimming with the kids. Today, my second C-22 is a Wing Keel which draws 3” 6” (and she’s 36 years old!) but, I don’t plan on beaching the boat anytime soon so the wing keel version made a lot of sense to me at this time. Secondly, while you personally may be open to a day sailer i.e. an open cockpit with a minimal cabin or no cabin, the practicality is, that if you want your wife to enjoy sailing for anything more than a few hours, there needs to be a place for a Porta Potti and some privacy. So, are you still open to “day sailers” or is a trailerable boat more practical? To help determine that, I would suggest that you ask to go for a ride with some of the sailors in your area on their boats? You could also sign up for some lessons locally and that will give you opportunity to sail and evaluate a few designs. If you spend some time at your local marinas, you will get a feel for what boats are appropriate your local sailing conditions.

IMO, “Day Sailing“ is a very indefinite descriptor. The boats you might look at are the Catalina Capri 18 and other boats up to the ”22” designation from both Catalina and other manufactures. I hope this helps.

George

Last edited: