how many more years can I get out of her?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
For years as I was a kid my Dad and I went to boat shows looking for small cruising powerboat you could use on a trailer as a "camper" and also on the water. He died at 62 and never pulled the trigger. I ran "spreadsheets" for years and could never justify the "cost" of a big sailboat (that's the engineer in me) but like my Dad I dreamed of having one. I had a heart attack at 47. Lots of spreadsheet between 40 and 60.

At 60 or so, I found a boat my wife and I both liked in New Rochelle New York and the price/condition was right so we flew to New York to look at it. When I got back I ran the spreadsheet anyway and concluded it was not a "wise" use of money. My wife said "BUY THE D$%M BOAT." Almost named it that. You either need to enjoy working and fiddling with a boat in addition to using the boat or it will become a chore. My wife doesn't quite understand that. Buying a boat is an emotional decision and if you are worried about it being a sound financial decision, you will never buy one. Just my 2 cents.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While that looks like a big number, I suspect a monthly golf membership would be at least that much. I further conjecture that if you rented a storage shed to hide your nonelectric Power Car in SoCal that too might exceed your sailboat slip fees.

Putting a price on our hobbies is missing the point of enjoying the fruits of our labors.

It is the grape harvest time up here.
1726936037795.png

I have enjoyed many a wonderful bottle of Pinot Noir wine over the past year. I still love to go to the winery and watch the harvest. The Grape stomping event.
1726936005454.png

And a glass of wine.

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
For years as I was a kid my Dad and I went to boat shows looking for small cruising powerboat you could use on a trailer as a "camper" and also on the water. He died at 62 and never pulled the trigger. I ran "spreadsheets" for years and could never justify the "cost" of a big sailboat (that's the engineer in me) but like my Dad I dreamed of having one. I had a heart attack at 47. Lots of spreadsheet between 40 and 60.

At 60 or so, I found a boat my wife and I both liked in New Rochelle New York and the price/condition was right so we flew to New York to look at it. When I got back I ran the spreadsheet anyway and concluded it was not a "wise" use of money. My wife said "BUY THE D$%M BOAT." Almost named it that. You either need to enjoy working and fiddling with a boat in addition to using the boat or it will become a chore. My wife doesn't quite understand that. Buying a boat is an emotional decision and if you are worried about it being a sound financial decision, you will never buy one. Just my 2 cents.
I’m sorry for the loss of your dad, but I’m glad you did end up fulfilling his dream of having a sailboat I’m sure he would be happy, and great advice thank you