Sore eyes after day of sailing.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
It seems after a day sailing (4-5) hours my eyes always seem to feel really sore and dry. During the night its worse and i have to wake up and put eye drops in. I wear a hat and good quality sun glasses that block UVA and UVB. I do however, not wear them 100% of the time. I would say i have my glasses off maybe for 30 minutes total during the entire time we are out sailing. Im guessing even this short of a time period is enough to get light eye sun burn? Im wondering if its the sun or just all the salt in the air? Anyone else have same problems? I am into my 40's now and notice my eyes are naturally drier more of the time but want to make sure i dont get eye sun burn. Is this normal for everyone? My dad had cataracts so i'm starting to get more careful about protecting my eyes.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would contact my Ophthalmologist regarding the issue.

The reflective glare off the water can be brutal. The sunscreen you use may also be an issue. I’ve been using a sunscreen called “HarkenDerm” that I find effective at preventing sunburn and that leaking sweat into my eyes.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
It seems after a day sailing (4-5) hours my eyes always seem to feel really sore and dry. <snip> I wear a hat and good quality sun glasses that block UVA and UVB. I do however, not wear them 100% of the time. I would say i have my glasses off maybe for 30 minutes total during the entire time we are out sailing. Im guessing even this short of a time period is enough to get light eye sun burn?
I rarely wear my sunglasses on the boat and have not suffered such symptoms. I have a broad-brimmed hat and am under my bimini most of the time. Do you have a bimini on your boat?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
You are too young for having dry eyes. If you had 2 more decades on you it would be expected.
There is a "screen" in your eyes that let's the tears out and keeps the eyes lubricated when you blink. The screen becomes blocked as age progresses and less tears are let out causing dry eyes. What is worse is that it causes high eye pressure if the liquid is not releases as expected leading to poor vision and blindness.
Make a trip to an eye doctor and have your eye pressure tested. Maximum is 22 and normal is 10. The treatment is prescription eye drops that opens the pores of the screen and reduces the eye pressure.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Thank you for all the replies. Im going to make an appointment this week just to be sure. Its next day and eyes still feel dry and irritated.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Polarized glasses are amazing. You can see so much better with a lot of the glare taken away. Great for seeing into the water, because the water surface reflection is so reduced.

The downside is that most electronic screens are now also polarized. You can read them with polarized glasses - but only in one orientation (horizontal or vertical). The other orientation will just be a massive blob.

Fred W

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Polarized wrap around sunglasses. These block the glare from almost all directions and reduce the amount of wind that gets to your eyes.

It could be dry eyes, I use an OTC product my ophthalmologist recommended Refresh Tears.

As for the cataracts, I now have the Mark 2 eyeballs and they work better than ever. I opted for 2 far distant lenses, instead of near distance or one each, and I can now spot buoys a mile or more out. Couldn't do that with the old Mark 1s.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Sunblock rubbed into your eyes?
I dont think so. Its been a recurring problem for a few years now. I have noticed when i drink too much caffeine or especially alcohol, thenext morning my eyes feel like someone rubbed sand in them. It takes several minutes before i can even open my eyes. A long day sailing has a similar effect. I wonder if im chronically dehydrated? I'm going to take a few days off from caffeine and see how much it helps.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Polarized wrap around sunglasses. These block the glare from almost all directions and reduce the amount of wind that gets to your eyes.

It could be dry eyes, I use an OTC product my ophthalmologist recommended Refresh Tears.

As for the cataracts, I now have the Mark 2 eyeballs and they work better than ever. I opted for 2 far distant lenses, instead of near distance or one each, and I can now spot buoys a mile or more out. Couldn't do that with the old Mark 1s.
Thank you. I do use Refresh Tears eye drops (OTC) but the relief only lasts half an hour or so.

My vision is still very good though. I still have 20/10 vision, so so far there has been no damage there, but most of my life i have not worn sunglasses. My Dad was the same, he never wore them but is 75 now and had to have cataract surgery a couple of years ago. Im hoping if i start taking better care of my eyes and start religiously wearing sunglasses, i can avoid that.

I still think i should have a good eye exam though just to be sure. Now that the boat projects are moving along, im getting time to do a lot more sailing so will be on the water a lot more. I have gone out sailing a few times and forgotten my sunglasses and the irritation i felt this weekend was similar to those days when my eyes probably got a bit of a sunburn, just not as intense. I think i will look into a more of a wrap around style of lens.

Currently i wear WileyX similar to these that partially wrap around, but they do let some reflection in from the side if the sun is off to your side or towards your back.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California

Wait a minute...did you have cataract surgery and you can specify type of vision you will get? My Dad never explained the details only that he could see vibrantly again.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Definitely try to hydrate more (Occam's razor) - your body needs extra water to flush the caffeine and alcohol out.

Cataract surgery: you get to specify near, middle or far range focus. I went with far in both - wonderful as Dave says. Clear as a bell, vibrant colors. Only downside is I need reading glasses.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

I wear contact lenses. After a day sailing in decent wind my eyes are very dry. I think it's the constant wind that is drying. I have the problem in day and night sailing, so i think the wind is the issue and not sun or glare.

My bigger issue that when we do distance races, my role is the mainsail trimmer. I get a stiff neck from constantly looking up at the windex and sail.

Barry

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Definitely try to hydrate more (Occam's razor) - your body needs extra water to flush the caffeine and alcohol out.

Cataract surgery: you get to specify near, middle or far range focus. I went with far in both - wonderful as Dave says. Clear as a bell, vibrant colors. Only downside is I need reading glasses.
Oh wow. thats interesting. i had no idea. i'll have to ask my Dad more about that.