Treadmill alternative for the boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
A couple of years ago, my wife was diagnosed with diabetes and was on insulin for over a year. For the last 6-months, she has been able to control grug free with diet and exercise but the exercise that works best is aerobic in the form of walking.

When we are on the boat, we try to hit the trails as much as possible but rain and often the inaccessibility of trails makes that not always workable. At home she uses the treadmill when we cannot walk outside, and we are looking for something that would do something similar that would fit on Papillon.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I don’t think there are a lot of options. Boat yoga, my wife will occasionally do an Apple fitness core or strength routine using her phone. Not the best aerobic exercise but will get the heart pumping.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Buy a stationary bike, set it up on deck and raise and lower the mainsail several times...a total body workout. (I'm only half kidding with this, thinking that it might trigger some kind of similar idea that would work).

--Peggie--

• Ha
Apr 5, 2009
Buy a stationary bike, set it up on deck and raise and lower the mainsail several times...a total body workout. (I'm only half kidding with this, thinking that it might trigger some kind of similar idea that would work).

--Peggie--
If I had room for a stationary bike I would love to do that.

Apr 5, 2009
Apr 5, 2009
Someone suggested Mini steppers like this one. Anyone ever tried them and would a treadmill junkie like it?

mini stepper.jpg

Apr 5, 2009
Go for a swim? Maybe she could haul you up the mast?
We are in the PNW and our water temperature seldom gets above 55F even in August. We are also 70 so anything that requires a high degree of balance or upper body strength, such as getting into a narrow kayak or standing on a paddleboard is I not a smart idea. We are looking for something that will work when we need to stay in the cabin because it is raining or there are no hiking trails available.