Treadmill alternative for the boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
A couple of years ago, my wife was diagnosed with diabetes and was on insulin for over a year. For the last 6-months, she has been able to control grug free with diet and exercise but the exercise that works best is aerobic in the form of walking.

When we are on the boat, we try to hit the trails as much as possible but rain and often the inaccessibility of trails makes that not always workable. At home she uses the treadmill when we cannot walk outside, and we are looking for something that would do something similar that would fit on Papillon.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I don’t think there are a lot of options. Boat yoga, my wife will occasionally do an Apple fitness core or strength routine using her phone. Not the best aerobic exercise but will get the heart pumping.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Buy a stationary bike, set it up on deck and raise and lower the mainsail several times...a total body workout. (I'm only half kidding with this, thinking that it might trigger some kind of similar idea that would work).

--Peggie--

Apr 5, 2009
Buy a stationary bike, set it up on deck and raise and lower the mainsail several times...a total body workout. (I'm only half kidding with this, thinking that it might trigger some kind of similar idea that would work).

--Peggie--
If I had room for a stationary bike I would love to do that.

Apr 5, 2009
Apr 5, 2009
Someone suggested Mini steppers like this one. Anyone ever tried them and would a treadmill junkie like it?

mini stepper.jpg

Apr 5, 2009
Go for a swim? Maybe she could haul you up the mast?
We are in the PNW and our water temperature seldom gets above 55F even in August. We are also 70 so anything that requires a high degree of balance or upper body strength, such as getting into a narrow kayak or standing on a paddleboard is I not a smart idea. We are looking for something that will work when we need to stay in the cabin because it is raining or there are no hiking trails available.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here you go Hayden...

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Someone suggested Mini steppers like this one. Anyone ever tried them and would a treadmill junkie like it?

View attachment 226978
Hayden I used one like that after an MCL operation on my knee one winter. When the weather didn’t allow me to walk outside I pulled this little guy out, turned up the tunes and stepped to my heart’s content. Mine did have an adjustment to increase and decrease the force of the steps as my knee grew stronger. Height, once mounting the stepper, may restrict the use below decks but certainly usable on deck. A stable handhold would be necessary to have close by for when the boat moves.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If I had room for a stationary bike I would love to do that.
Maybe a folding stationary bike (if they exist)? if not, the stepper might work and hauling on the mainsail halyard would provide the protection from falling.

Fwiw, I developed a serious balance issue in my late 70s that put an end to my playing tennis 3x/week. Thanks to physical therapy specifically for balance issues twice a week for 6 weeks ordered by my doctor, I now have almost -0- balance issues. The very slight amount that I do have makes running unwise, so I have to remain done with tennis, but I now can go up and down stairs without using a bannister and can walk at a fast pace without any fear of falling. And the therapy was actually fun...I kidded my therapist that I was beginning feel as if I were an agility dog in training.

The main take-away for all of us in this thread is "it's true that getting old ain't for sissies!"

--Peggie

Apr 5, 2009
Hayden I used one like that after an MCL operation on my knee one winter. When the weather didn’t allow me to walk outside I pulled this little guy out, turned up the tunes and stepped to my heart’s content. Mine did have an adjustment to increase and decrease the force of the steps as my knee grew stronger. Height, once mounting the stepper, may restrict the use below decks but certainly usable on deck. A stable handhold would be necessary to have close by for when the boat moves.
Thanks.
Sue is 5'-6" and I have full standing headroom at 6' so she should be fine. We would plan to use it in the main cabin, and she can hold onto an overhead hand hold and the fiddle / bulkhead on the aft edge of the hanging locker.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
the device itself will bring her close to the deck head.
Perhaps. They also make a recumbent version ( made by Schwinn).

I have one in my office. Sitting on it, I sit up tall yet am closer to the floor than if I were standing. The downside is the bike takes up more space.

You might scope out the Peloton brand of equipment. They have a variety of options.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
That is clever. Now if you attach wires to the output maybe you could use the effort to help charge the battery.

A two-fer experience.