What wood to use for motor mount?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've had HDPE (Starboard), G10, PT, and plywood. HDPE is a hard NO for me. It will work, yes, you could counterbore the holes, and it will cost a bunch to not work better. Plywood works in some applications, but it;'s not what yours was designed for. G10 is a pretty funny suggestion. Heavy too. Just make it out of PT deck boards or what ever fits and figure on replacing it every 10 years ... if you still own the boat. The motor will be more secure. If there is a bracket where you can sink a screw into the boards, all the better.

But nothing slippery. No point. The mount you have was designed for wood.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Here''s a data table of woods including black locust.

I've sourced black locust in Erie in the past. You should be able to find it in a lumber yard. It's an excellent wood for what you are doing.

dj

May 3, 2024
Morgan 22 Lake Erie
I've had HDPE (Starboard), G10, PT, and plywood. HDPE is a hard NO for me.
You guys are killing me haha. I guess this is a "100 ways to skin a cat" type situation. I will say this solution appeals to me. I am not overly concerned with the solution lasting forever. I just want to get back on the water and not lose my motor! One note to add, I think my bracket is made of aluminum so I would have to use non treated wood due to possible corrosion.

I've sourced black locust in Erie in the past. You should be able to find it in a lumber yard. It's an excellent wood for what you are doing.
Thanks for the recommendation I will keep an eye out for it when I go to a lumber yard.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think my bracket is made of aluminum so I would have to use non treated wood due to possible corrosion.
This hasnt been an issue. In eight years I see zero signs of corrosion either from a chemical reaction or from UV/water exposure. Remember, aluminum siding is put right up against plywood in buildings.
Check your clamps for tightness every 15 minutes or so while motoring on your first outing

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok...
Garelick Stainless EEz-In Auxiliary Outboard Motor Brackets
1721419149977.png Builds and sells a plastic adjustable motor mount. This one is in black. It also comes in white. HDPE

I had one of their mounts on my 15ft sailboat for 18 years.

Garelick 71058 Stainless Steel Outboard Motor Bracket
1721419363638.jpeg Here is one in plywood.

Here is a motor mount in pine. I note it has been varnished. Looks beautiful.
1721419437077.jpeg

You can make it out of what ever you choose. It will likely last beyond the period you own the boat.
As the Nike phrase goes.
"Just Do It!"
You will be pleased.
It really is like a pair of tennis shoes. When they start to wear thin you buy a new pair.