To swivel or not to swivel

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So I know the fears of the weakest link and I’ve always just said yea no way…… but I see the benefits and know of others that use them without issues.
We anchor whenever we are traveling….. 250 feet of 3/8bbb and rocna 25 (55lbs).
Hear the robustness of the mantis swivel is second to none…..

love to hear experience with to settle my nerves having this link.

Thanks
Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I use the Mantus swivel. No relation to Mantus, just a happy customer. They aren't cheap. I did get mine at a discount at the Annapolis Boat show.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have always been in the no-swivel group. After hundreds of times with the anchor always coming up facing the right way, I was convinced. Recently the chain developed a twist which caused it to come up backwards. Now I am rethinking my position.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have always been in the no-swivel group. After hundreds of times with the anchor always coming up facing the right way, I was convinced. Recently the chain developed a twist which caused it to come up backwards. Now I am rethinking my position.
^^ This. All a swivel does for me is insure that it will be backwards 50% of the time.

If the boat is backing when you recover the anchor it will alighn with the flow and come up the right way round. Sometimes the chain will rotate between the roller and the windlass, but then it is simple to remove the twist while lowering. Then recover right way round.

If I wanted to turn the anchor, I would get a Boomerang. I've tested them, they work.
Boomerang anchor turner

I do NOT favor the ones that clamp to the anchor; too much side stress on the attachment and not enough time during recovery for the anchor to turn over. There should be chain between the turner and the anchor. Common sense.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think every swivel I ever used on a boat did not swivel much to correct twisting while under load. An anchor swivel IMO is mostly yet another piece of gear that must be maintained, and a potential point of functional failure if not maintained. Why do we need one? Its purpose is to “straighten out” the anchor as the rode is recovered? Doesn’t the chain itself “untwist” while being raised, including the anchor, on its own? Don’t you need any other gear for your boat? Maybe need to replace the chain?:doh:

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If I wanted to turn the anchor, I would get a Boomerang. I've tested them, they work.
Boomerang anchor turner

I do NOT favor the ones that clamp to the anchor; too much side stress on the attachment and not enough time during recovery for the anchor to turn over. There should be chain between the turner and the anchor. Common sense.
Years ago I had a device called "The Missing Link". It's design was very much like the Boomerang, but the Boomerang is much simpler. Having said that, if I had known about the Boomerang I probably would have bought it instead of the Mantus swivel.
But I am quite happy with the Mantus and my opinion is that it is the best swivel available.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I think every swivel I ever used on a boat did not swivel much to correct twisting while under load. An anchor swivel IMO is mostly yet another piece of gear that must be maintained, and a potential point of functional failure if not maintained. Why do we need one? Its purpose is to “straighten out” the anchor as the rode is recovered? Doesn’t the chain itself “untwist” while being raised, including the anchor, on its own? Don’t you need any other gear for your boat? Maybe need to replace the chain?:doh:
My experience is that the chain by itself does not un-twist at retrieval. I think the swivel does help, but the best method is to back up after the anchor is off the bottom and the water flowing over the anchor will straighten it out. This technique probably depends upon the anchor design, but it works well for my plow-type Manson Supreme anchor.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
My experience is that the chain by itself does not un-twist at retrieval. I think the swivel does help, but the best method is to back up after the anchor is off the bottom and the water flowing over the anchor will straighten it out. This technique probably depends upon the anchor design, but it works well for my plow-type Manson Supreme anchor.
^^ Exactly.