Anchoring woes

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hello everyone
With the admiral helping out more on the boat, we need to find a better solution to help anchoring.
At the moment we are about to cut a big hole on the fore deck to install a deck pipe to easy with the chain and rode. I plan to install it close to the main cleat to have an easy time clearing the rode in place.
My admiral’s concern is that the anchor rode can move port or starboard from between the pulpit and it bothers her, so I’m looking for a solution to get the rode to stay near the center.
My chocks are too small to allow the chain to go through, let alone the chain to rode connection.
I was thinking about simply installing an anchor retrieval ring near the bow, to the furler/forestay chain plate/fitting.
What do you all think, am I overthinking this, is this a good solution or should I look for something else?

Aug 17, 2013
Anchor is a Danforth, have mounts on the pulpit, no rollers.
The rode goes from chain to rope

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sounds like you need a new chock or bitt on the bow that is big enough to handle your chain. Make sure it's placed so that the anchor rode leads fairly to the cleat. It looks like putting it a touch off to port will allow the rode to miss the forestay and the port chock. The existing starboard chock is closer to the forestay so there's less room on that side.
Or maybe downsize your chain & rode so it fits in the chocks you already have. What do you have now? What you show in the pictures looks pretty hefty.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looking at your bow, I'm wondering if using a bridle might work. How much chain do you have and how much rode? Are you usually running with all your chain out and then the ride is left on deck and into the water?

I don't see a bow roller. That might be a good addition. But from the looks of your bow, that would be a big job. I'm not sure what an anchor retrieval ring is.

I'm not seeing how putting the deck pipe is going to help with keeping the rode from moving side to side. It seems to me you either need a bridle or a point of fixation at the bow - bow roller for example.

dj

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Aug 17, 2013
Looking at your bow, I'm wondering if using a bridle might work. How much chain do you have and how much rode? Are you usually running with all your chain out and then the ride is left on deck and into the water?
dj
What do you mean by a bridle?
I currently have 30ft of chain and around 100ft of rode.
When we anchor we do use all the chain and some rode depending on depth.

An anchor ring is used to help pull up the anchor, it basically works a bit like a pulley, you slip it on the rode and attach a fender or float then back up the boat to help raise the anchor
IMG_2546.png

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What do you mean by a bridle?
I currently have 30ft of chain and around 100ft of rode.
When we anchor we do use all the chain and some rode depending on depth.

An anchor ring is used to help pull up the anchor, it basically works a bit like a pulley, you slip it on the rode and attach a fender or float then back up the boat to help raise the anchor
A bridle would be two ropes that run out your two fairleads in the bow. They connect to you anchor rode - typically used with all chain rode. But you could use a bridle with rope also - Id have to give some thought as to how to attach it to rope rode. Maybe a prussick knot. Google anchor bridle and you should find a lot.

That anchor ring isn't going to do the trick. You need a way to keep the rode from working back and forth at the bow. The original design was clearly using your fairleads in the bow but they aren't working for your current anchor setup.

You should take a good look at the piece John showed above. If it fits and your chain can go through it - that would be a good fix.

dj