Welcome to sailing! Here, have an engine/electrical issue.

Jul 9, 2024
Ericson Mark I Philadelphia PA
I recently took the plunge and bought my first sailboat (or any boat for that matter), a 1969 Ericson Mark I, sold all my stuff, and moved onboard. I've got a handful of hours sailing experience, so take that in consideration with what I might be missing here.

My broker and I took delivery 2 weeks ago and sailed from the previous owner's marina to the marina I am in now, about an hour away. As we were pulling into the channel of this marina, we ran up on a small sandbar (depth sounder is non-functional, it's on the list of things to fix); we threw the boat in reverse and opened up the throttle to get off the sand for about 20 seconds. It worked, but then a few minutes later the alarm and oil pressure light went on. and stayed on. We powered down and waited, and when the tide came in we motored into the slip, alarm blaring.

The engine is a Yanmar GM20 with < 900 hours on it, the oil is clean, recently changed, and the level is perfect. We motored for at least half an hour that day with no issues, and closer to an hour during the sea trial. Also, the oil analysis came back perfect the day before all this.

My troubleshooting so far: first I disconnected the wire from the oil sender, fired up the motor, alarm was still blaring. OK not a bad sender. But then the next day I decided to try again (I had been tired the day before, maybe I grounded it carelessly) and sure enough disconnecting the sender stopped the alarm. So I bought a new sender, installed it, fired up the motor, and the alarm stopped! However when I stopped the engine and started it again, the alarm came back.

Sometimes if I rev the engine or shift to reverse, the alarm sputters, sometimes stops for a short period.

I didn't have my multimeter until today (still moving on to the boat from 6 hours away) - but it looks like the sender wire, disconnected from the sender, is grounded. Which I would expect it not to be, since that's the sender's job at zero pressure. The sender does climb to full resistance with the motor running and drop back to zero with it off, so I'm pretty sure it's not a real oil pressure issue.

Any ideas before I rip out the whole wiring harness looking for a short? I know boat ownership is supposed to be a constant battle with things breaking, but I was really hoping to get more than 24 hours in without doing an electrical overhaul.

**unrelated fun fact** - I've been a moto guy for years and when we bumped the bottom and then the oil pressure alarm went off, my first thought was "oh crap a rock cracked the case." took me a minute to remember that boat motors do not hang at the bottom of the keel :).

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I would suggest running a wire outside of the harness to confirm your issue is in the harness.

check your current wire (Disconnect both ends of the wire) against ground using an ohm meter. wiggle harness when you do this to pinpoint where the fault is at

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
A single oil analysis will establish nothing. However a history of analyzing the results of previous tests (or in this case future tests) will establish a trend and indicate metal wear, water or antifreeze in oil, oil property breakdown, etc. Once is not enough.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Is that engine with <900 hours as old as the boat?

If the pressure sensor wire is suspect, I would simply abandon it, and lace a replacement to the harness, and terminate it properly. Then you will have no doubt it's good.

Is the operating temperature of the engine normal when all of this is going on?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Also, running at full throttle on a sand bar is likely to suck a lot of sand into the engine - you should open up the raw water pump and heat exchanger and look around.
I kinda like this maintenance caution, also. Even with a boat drafting 6', I have churned up some serious mud once or twice...
We also have a raw water strainer and check in regularly.

Also, if the raw water pump impeller is over a year old (or age is unknown) better to replace it. IIRC, the smaller Yanmar may have it mounted on the "rear" of the block, but that's just gossip. Our Ericson has a Betamarine diesel, and the pump is easy to reach.

Note B: when you call it a '69 Mk 1, is that a 35 or 30 foot Ericson?

Finally, do wander over and sign up (no cost) and participate at the Ericson owners web site. Ericsonyachts.org. Front Page

Your model is a rare one, but systems and engines are common to lots of other boats. Excellent advice to be had on this forum, as well.
Good Luck!
Loren

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I confess I have no idea what you're talking about! :)

I would be weary of a temperature wire that only sends an alarm signal because it would be so easy to also connect it up to the hi pressure alarm sender (if there is one) just to avoid running an extra conductor.
High oil pressure alarm? Never heard of one.
I had in the past abandoned a suspect conductor in an existing bundle only to find later it served dual purpose,
What is that dual purpose, and how does it work?
mostly that just gives me a twinge of discomfort as I sit here watching the world slide by.
In what way?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Oil switches sound an alarm with an open circuit. You need a positive signal saying pressure is good.
Yes, the oil pressure switch closes when engine is running to provide power to the electric fuel pump and place a short across the buzzer to silence it.
When the oil pressure drops the switch contacts open, stops fuel flow and engine stops running to save the engine. That is how it is wired on my C36 with universal engine.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Could the OP have a pressure sensor (sender) and not a switch?

I believe a pressure sensor increases in resistance with increased pressure, from about 10 to 184Ω for 0 to 10 bar.

I always thought pressure switches opened with increasing pressure, but I suppose both NC and NO are available.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
2 separate issues: 1/ did running engine to get off the sandbar degrade and destroy your raw water pump impeller, so you have insufficient cooling , and engine temp skyrockets, sounding an alarm ? was was the engine's temp reading when your alarm sounded? your 1st rx: pull , inspect and and replace raw water impeller asap. IF impeller is missing a part of a blade, even a tiny ne, that piece could have traveled into your heat exchanger where it blocked cooling fluid flow and leads to an over temperature alarm. then you'll have to take apart your heat exchanger and all associated hoses to clean out the bits. 2/ what alarm was sounding ? I believe some Yan diesels have both an oil pressure sending unit that sends your oil pressure (to a gauge , or not, depending on your engine ), and also an oil engine low- pressure alarm , and also a too - high cooling water temp alarm. all of those alarms sound alike on my Yan mars. . .

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Is it possible to install a mechanical pressure gauge at the sender to test the actual oil pressure?

Jul 9, 2024
I would suggest running a wire outside of the harness to confirm your issue is in the harness.

check your current wire (Disconnect both ends of the wire) against ground using an ohm meter. wiggle harness when you do this to pinpoint where the fault is at
Good call. it'll be a little tricky since everything seems to be plugged all-or-nothing with the connectors - I also noticed ground continuity on a couple other pins in the connector that I believe are for temp and charge, but those lights aren't on. unless the bulbs are bad on those?

Jul 9, 2024
Is that engine with <900 hours as old as the boat?

If the pressure sensor wire is suspect, I would simply abandon it, and lace a replacement to the harness, and terminate it properly. Then you will have no doubt it's good.

Is the operating temperature of the engine normal when all of this is going on?
Nope the boat had an atomic 4 originally I believe (or a universal can't remember atm) - she was re-powered 2 years ago. The previous owner kept detailed logs in a notebook of every trip, every hour count from 0 to the current count (which he gave me). Oil, filters and belts were all replaced at the start of each season (and he kept all the old filters/belts in ziplock bags labeled with the replacement date). This last round was done in March.

The temp lights are not going off, got good glugs coming out the back so I assume that is still healthy - that was my original thought, that maybe we sucked something up when we hit the sandbar but the alarm goes on immediately and stays on, which would be weird with a cold engine. Plus water flow looks to be good from my unexperienced eyes.

Jul 9, 2024
My sympathies for your engine woes, but I think you are burying the lead. "Sold all my stuff, and moved onboard". Maybe you could outline this adventure in a separate thread?
sure, if there's a good place to put my findings I'm happy to share. I kinda assumed this was an old-hat story 'round these parts. "Sick of working 100 hours a week to pay for a condo that has grown to feel like a cage, so I moved onto a boat" etc etc
so far it's been adventures in fixing stuff. I have a semi-working head now, pressure fresh water that pumps, and both 120v and 12v power systems that aren't death traps - all things I didn't have 2 weeks ago. It would be cool to be able to leave the dock though, as she is a boat... which is where the angry oil pressure sender comes into play :(

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Nope the boat had an atomic 4 originally I believe (or a universal can't remember atm) - she was re-powered 2 years ago. The previous owner kept detailed logs in a notebook of every trip, every hour count from 0 to the current count (which he gave me). Oil, filters and belts were all replaced at the start of each season (and he kept all the old filters/belts in ziplock bags labeled with the replacement date). This last round was done in March.

The temp lights are not going off, got good glugs coming out the back so I assume that is still healthy - that was my original thought, that maybe we sucked something up when we hit the sandbar but the alarm goes on immediately and stays on, which would be weird with a cold engine. Plus water flow looks to be good from my unexperienced eyes.
Oh, that's good news. I assume there are no engine gauges, only warning lights and alarms? You might want to consider investing in gauges. If you don't want a panel for them but have a fairly new MFD, you can get a device to put sensor data on a NMEA2000 network and view on the MFD. I like to watch the oil pressure when I start, and then monitor the coolant temp come up and then stop at the thermostat set point. As a minimum I'd want a coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge.

Jul 9, 2024
I kinda like this maintenance caution, also. Even with a boat drafting 6', I have churned up some serious mud once or twice...
We also have a raw water strainer and check in regularly.

Also, if the raw water pump impeller is over a year old (or age is unknown) better to replace it. IIRC, the smaller Yanmar may have it mounted on the "rear" of the block, but that's just gossip. Our Ericson has a Betamarine diesel, and the pump is easy to reach.

Note B: when you call it a '69 Mk 1, is that a 35 or 30 foot Ericson?

Finally, do wander over and sign up (no cost) and participate at the Ericson owners web site. Ericsonyachts.org. Front Page

Your model is a rare one, but systems and engines are common to lots of other boats. Excellent advice to be had on this forum, as well.
Good Luck!
Loren
Thanks! I She's the 35. I did set up an account on Ericsonyachts.org, seems like a great bunch! I figured since this wasn't the OE engine it might be a little harder to find help over there.