Welcome to sailing! Here, have an engine/electrical issue.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I think if I even added a 2” spacer between the strainer and where it’s secured to a stringer, that would do the job. Currently it’s under and behind the access panel so there’s not enough space to rotate your wrist around or get a wrench on the basket nuts. That might be my now fix, adding enough buffer to make it unpleasant but not borderline impossible to check. My hands and wrists look like I tried to bathe a stray cat from all the jagged snipped zip-tie ends that have brittled over time into razors and the oversized screw tips. Any nuts, washers, bolts etc you drop go directly into the black hole bilge under the transmission, never to be seen again. So yeah, it’s not great access at the moment.
If your bilge pump is down there, you should try to get them out. Especially tie wraps,or pieces as they can block the pump impellor...

dj

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Regarding strainers.
some plastic strainers are top fixtures with in/out fittings that screw a bowl containing a screen into the top. I had one when I first acquired my boat. Looked good. Was a devil to open and close. The O ring would bind the strainer would leak or the plastic bowl would craze over winter. I ended that poor design mess by upgrading to a Groco bronze strainer.
1721006270604.jpeg

They come in various sizes.

The top clear plastic unscrews and the basket screen can be removed to clear the strainer of any jetsam that gets sucked into the strainer.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
My hands and wrists look like I tried to bathe a stray cat from all the jagged snipped zip-tie ends that have brittled over time into razors and the oversized screw tips.

Great another next job or two.
Don't worry you won't run out.:laugh::laugh:

Jul 9, 2024
Ericson Mark I Philadelphia PA
Regarding strainers.
some plastic strainers are top fixtures with in/out fittings that screw a bowl containing a screen into the top. I had one when I first acquired my boat. Looked good. Was a devil to open and close. The O ring would bind the strainer would leak or the plastic bowl would craze over winter. I ended that poor design mess by upgrading to a Groco bronze strainer.
View attachment 226066
They come in various sizes.

The top clear plastic unscrews and the basket screen can be removed to clear the strainer of any jetsam that gets sucked into the strainer.
I've got an older version of this Groco - the little screw on the bottom has broken off and is now a plug, and the top is solid brass (no clear window). The problem is that the flat plate is pinned against the mounting surface so there's no way to get at those back bolts, and you can't pivot it because there's an intake hose pressed against the other side :(

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As I suggested, sometimes the boat needs some new bling. The flat plate in the image on the newer strainers slides into a mounting bracket (supplied with the strainer). The top plastic screws out and is hand tight. No tool needed to open. Sealed by an O ring. It was a serious upgrade on my boat. About $200 for the 1/2” hose model.