What are these tracks used for?

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
On my boat there is a little "car' with a block that slides along the track in order to tune the angle of the jib sheets. The car has a pin that allows you to choose the appropriate location for trimming the jib.

There are lots of internet references, but here is a Mauripro Sailing article that details out how to use the set up.

Doug

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Jib tracks for a very small headsail, such as a 90% jib or a storm jib. They would be rarely used.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
They appear, from the tight photo angle, to be in a very bad location for a headsail sheet. Where would the tail run to? Is it meant to chafe against the cabin top, are not the shrouds in the way for any tack off the wind?

I don't know why a track would be desirable, but perhapse it is for a preventer or a barber hauler or a twing.
1720351089450.png

-Will

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Tracks for a smaller jib that you don't have. If the sheet leads through the a block on the rail-mounted track first it would not chafe. Also possibly a blade jib. The location inside the shrouds would allow for a tight sheeting angle.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
They are for the “pulley car” for the jib sheets. This is the best photo I had of those tracks on my boat. I had to crop it a bit to highlight the track for you to see.
The car has a spring loaded pin that allows you to move it along the track for the best fit for your use.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
They are for the “pulley car” for the jib sheets. This is the best photo I had of those tracks on my boat. I had to crop it a bit to highlight the track for you to see.
The car has a spring loaded pin that allows you to move it along the track for the best fit for your use.
Pulley Car ? Really? :banghead:

• Ha
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Don’t get so frustrated.
It is clear, plain language that got the point across.
But I did fail to mention, that they are both in the middle of my boat, between the back and the pointy end. And that I have 2, 1 on the left side and one on the right.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They appear to be placed so that they provide adjustable positions for control of sails on the bow. With a furler and a big sail, they would have little use. With a small jib (like the afore mentioned blade) or a storm sail the could help with trim.

What's in your sail locker?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Don’t get so frustrated.
It is clear, plain language that got the point across.
But I did fail to mention, that they are both in the middle of my boat, between the back and the pointy end. And that I have 2, 1 on the left side and one on the right.
And you've missed the point. EVERY sailboat has a lead block or similar for its headsail. Sometimes they are fixed in place, but the majority are moveable... from pin stop sliders up to multi purchase systems with roller bearing track cars that allow adjustment while the sheet is loaded. And many boats will have more than one pair of tracks, and multiple sets of lead blocks. But what they won't have is a pulley car for adjusting the headsail trim.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
View attachment 225872
Is the "adjustable genoa car" not a pulley car?

-Will
Not sure how this diagram offers any insight to using the term "pulley" in sailboat rigging. Call it what you will, just don't quote it when giving nautical advice to people. I've used the term Jib block, genoa block, lead block, adjustable jib lead block......yada yada.... but if you want to have any kind of credit in a sailing discussion room.... try to limit the term "pulley" to the mechanical, non-rigging stuff, like your auxiliary engine for instance. But... sailing has a distinct lexicon that we, as experienced sailors should practice and promote. I'm not a fan of nit picking the b'jesus out of some things...... you know, like, is it a "gasket" or a "nettle"??? when talking about sail ties...I've seen some term geeks go crazy on what to call the little ropes used to tie off old fashioned reef points. FYI I'm in the "sail tie" camp... which has garnered me a little heat in the past from those humorless preachers

My original comment was a little jab at the poster for using the no-no word "pulley" in association with such a common piece of sailing hardware as a lead block. I apologize to him if it had a snarky tone...but I DID have a smile when I made it...just the same, my apologies. (in no means does the apology justify the sin of "pulley talk" when chatting about sailboat rigging.. It's still uncool. :cool:. ) I only have one other term that, when used improperly, makes me pause to consider making a comment.( it is the points of sail chart that is so mis understood). which makes me pretty liberal in that area, I guess. I am definitely NOT a terminology nazi. I'll call it rope instead of line, especially if it sounds contrived. I'll say turn right or left, or go to the back, sit on the ledge (i.e. coaming) and so on..
Using common terms mixed in with the nautical ones is fine... it makes the guests more comfortable ... but among crew we'll stay as nautical as possible. One last thing, this is personal I guess, but I've always thought of my boat as .... a boat.... not a woman. So using countless female pronouns during boat discussions can become annoying. It kind of gets out of hand sometime and it starts sounding contrived.. Oh well...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I did not know that about the term pulley. I grew-up with boats and they will always have the pronoun "she" with me. That's just how boats were referred to when/where I grew up. Probably the same applied to pulley:block, I just never noticed it enough to have it affixed into my lexicon.

-Will