Boom Vang obstructs Main Sheet

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
Any ideas how to fix this? See photo. It’s not a big deal but over time all the rubbing will ruin the main sheet. Or maybe it’s fine as is?

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What’s the sheet turning at where it meets the mast? It looks like it’s just using a cleat as a turning block, then maybe going through a proper turning block at the base of the mast? If so I’d run it straight to the block at the base of the mast. Then it will run parallel to the vang instead of crossing it at the top.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
David sailor is right.. it'd be a good test to run to the lower turning block (behind the vang cleat/block) from the boom block, bypassing the upper turning block behind the fixed cleat. The existing run will chafe through the mainsheet ..
Another option is to replace the lower mainsheet block with one that has a cam cleat (or maybe add a cam cleat to existing ?) and then the adjustment line runs straight aft .. that eliminates a bunch of friction in the system.. My boat has been rigged that way for the past 30+ years..not as convenient to singlehand, but much better otherwise.
DSC00013.JPG

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The van block does not need to be so high near the boom. Make a 12" pendant using steel cable and drop the blocks by 12".

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Why does the mainsheet even go to the mast and then to the base ? I don't see the point . If you have a midboom sheet , why not route the mainsheet back to the traveller ?

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
It’s seems like many are suggesting I eliminate the line up to the boom and over to the mast then down the mast. Just go straight to the block on the bottom of the mast. See photo. Comments ?

Attachments

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Is your traveller on the conpanionway ? That's where ours is . Best place for it to be when I'm singlehandling.
Your mainsheet ends up going forward and eventually leaves a turning block and goes offscreen to port.
I'd get rid of all of it . "If " you wanted to adjust your down haul ..or use the line as a cunningham you could still do that . Instead of a turning block at the front of the boom , replace the block with a cleat and use the line that comes back to you as down haul

May 17, 2004
I’d definitely stop using the block at the gooseneck, the one I’ve labeled 2 here -
1719962441190.png

I’d start by trying to run straight from 1 to 3. If you skip 1 entirely you’ll have a little less mechanical advantage when you pull the sheet. If 1 to 3 still chafes somewhere then you could try going straight from the traveler to 3. You could also try to rearrange things to sheet from the traveler directly as others suggested but that would likely take more hardware replacement and creativity.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I replaced my rope vang with a rigid vang, but it occupied the same place as shown in this photo…

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_3120.jpeg

As others have said, the mainsheet should run down to a block at the base of the mast (notice the angle on mine), not to the cleat up high On the mast.

Greg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Friction is bad. You increase friction with the blocks but you gain mechanical advantage. The friction between the vang and the mainsheet is all bad. Regardless of the solution you choose, eliminate as much unnecessary friction as you can. I think that you may still have a conflict if you run the line directly from the mid-boom to the base of the mast, but I can't really tell from the photos. I think the suggestion to drop the vang assembly with a short pendant is a good idea if it eliminates the conflict. I'm sure there are various ways to skin this cat. You can be as creative as you want ... it's your boat and your rules!

• Helpful
May 17, 2004
I think that you may still have a conflict if you run the line directly from the mid-boom to the base of the mast, but I can't really tell from the photos.
I was thinking that at first too, but then I realized my mainsheet is rigged almost exactly like that, and it never conflicts.
1720454961979.jpeg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I was thinking that at first too, but then I realized my mainsheet is rigged almost exactly like that, and it never conflicts.
True, mine is a similar configuration except that it is a double-ended mainsheet with the leads coming back to the cockpit from deck-mounted blocks about a foot off the side of the mast.