How to fix RayMarine wind gauge.

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
My gauge does not work. It is stuck at 0°. I have no idea whatsoever where to begin trying to fix it. Can anybody help me get started? picture attached. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
My gauge does not work. It is stuck at 0°. I have no idea whatsoever where to begin trying to fix it. Can anybody help me get started? picture attached. Thanks
From Raymarine

To perform the check, you will need a multimeter, and a DC power supply. You will need to supply 8v to the masthead across
the red and shield connections. Normally the ST50/ST60 display head would be energized and provide this 8V, however in your
case, you may need to power the mashead transducer seperately.

With the multimeter, check the following:

Set the multimeter to the 20V DC scale.

Test at the connections on the rear of the display head, or at the base of the mast (if you have a junction box installed.)

Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60 display head. If
the head is damaged, you may need to provide this power from another source to test the masthead.

Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the port side directional element. The voltage changes
as the vane turns.

Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the starboard side directional element.

Yellow to shield should read between 0 and 5 volts DC. This is the wind speed circuit. The faster the wind is blowing, the
higher the voltage will read."

Returning Your Unit for Service or Repair:

Raymarine Product Repair Center

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
When you look up the mast, does the wind rotate the cups? Does the tail line up with the wind? They may need to be lubricated if they are not moving. If so, turn off the power to the instrument, then disconnect and turn them upside down and drop a few drops of sawing machine oil and rotate them by hand until they are free to move. It cost me $200.00 for a new one then I discovered all it needed was lubrication.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
It might be easier to check the voltage out at the display first. You’ll need the pin out diagram to show you which pins are + and return. That’s the first thing I’d check before climbing the mast. I did have the junction box in the bilge under the mast. The wires were corroded so I cleaned and reset the wires. That fixed the issue on my boat.