Does anyone recognize this knot?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Looks white… kinda like the bottom of a forum post… I’m with Peggie here, we need a pic

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Knot trying to be patronizing, but my guess is it is suppose to be a classic bowline. Unless it is doing something other than fixing one end of an adjustment line to a shackle by creating a simple loop, it probably should be a bowline.

-Will

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There seems to be a couple of different versions of the Halyard Hitch.
Halyard Hitch
and
1653011426594.png

Then, there's the buntline hitch
1653011674652.png

These are knots that don't come untied easily after pressure has been placed on them.

-Will

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I had a guy show me how to tie a bowline just by flipping it around and not feeding the bitter end through anything about 20 minutes prior to my fire academy knots test and I thought it was the coolest thing. I failed my knot test. That was my only retake.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sorry for the missing photo of the mystery knot. Here it is
The top part looks like a bowline and the bottom part, with the 3 wraps looks like a taut line hitch. Or maybe it is just wrapped like that to secure the und until needed.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks to me like a bowline at the top, plus a backup knot at the bottom. Usually the backup knot would be made over the standing part though, not the loop.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The bowline part is not a proper bowline, as the tail is outside the loop. A proper bowline has the tail inside the loop so it is less likely to snag the tail. The remaining part looks some extra line being "stored" by wrapping around the loop with tail lead through the wraps for security

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The bowline part is not a proper bowline, as the tail is outside the loop. A proper bowline has the tail inside the loop so it is less likely to snag the tail. The remaining part looks some extra line being "stored" by wrapping around the loop with tail lead through the wraps for security
Exactly!

-Will

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
We use to call them inside bowline ( right), outside bowline ( wrong) by making the round turn the wrong way you get a outside bowline. Watching the video posted above they are calling the outside bowline a “cowboy “ bowline. Never have heard of that one.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave identified it.

Looks typical of a sailor with too much line and not trusting the bowline to hold.

I like the halyard hitch knot for this use. Good locking knot. Reduced line usage. Easy to cut off when wanting to replace.