Looking for a roller I can use when using the trailer winch to raise the mast

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I’m looking for a better setup for raising my mast using the trailer winch. Right now it rubs on the front of the deck. I’ve seen others use a roller tied to a length of rope, hung from the pulpit. I’d like to find the right roller that can take the wear of the forestay wire going over it.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I’m looking for a better setup for raising my mast using the trailer winch. Right now it rubs on the front of the deck. I’ve seen others use a roller tied to a length of rope, hung from the pulpit. I’d like to find the right roller that can take the wear of the forestay wire going over it.
When we used the trailer winch, we ran the winch strap through the anchor roller and clipped that to the forestay. A block suspended from the bow pulpit could work similarly, but I wonder about the downward load on the pulpit. It could be pretty significant at the start of the lift (or end of the lower).

But you probably won't need to worry about a wire block - you'd be extending the forestay with a length of rope, and it's that line that will run through the block, not the forestay itself - once the forestay is at the bow (and near the block) your mast is up. Our trailer winch (like most) came with a strap, not a line. You might be able to replace that strap with line (3/16" Amsteel would probably be about right), that line could run through a normal block off the pulpit. That seems plausible, but I haven't ever seen it done, so don't take that as a recommendation.

FWIW: We've since moved to a gin-pole system with a brake winch on the pole. We far prefer the brake winch, as it won't free-wind if you release the handle. We never had that problem on the C-22, but I did get a warning lesson from the winch holding our tandem kayak in the garage - my hand slipped off the handle once, and I got a nice set of bruises on my forearm. Since then, all new winches installed have been brake winches.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Others have used their main sheet and attach that to the jib halyard or forestay on one end and then to the bow fitting on the other to raise the mast. I've done that method, grunted it up by hand and regularly use a home made 2 X 4 gin pole/main sheet combination to raise or lower the mast. I trailer sail and for me, the gin pole and mast crutch is by far the easiest and safest way to raise/lower the mast in my world. Sorry if I hijacked your thread in a whole different direction.

Feb 28, 2022
Others have used their main sheet and attach that to the jib halyard or forestay on one end and then to the bow fitting on the other to raise the mast. I've done that method, grunted it up by hand and regularly use a home made 2 X 4 gin pole/main sheet combination to raise or lower the mast. I trailer sail and for me, the gin pole and mast crutch is by far the easiest and safest way to raise/lower the mast in my world. Sorry if I hijacked your thread in a whole different direction.
That's honestly why I ask here, so thanks Slim. When we raised it yesterday with a buddy of mine, we kept asking, "How do people do this by themselves, and how can you do it under 15 minutes?"

I've been resistant to the gin pole method, but have no real reason why, mainly just hoping to use what I already have. The first time I raised it was with the mainsheet, and that might be something I'll try again now that I've used the winch a couple of times. The winch gives us really good control; that's what I like about it. And I think when I was using the mainsheet, it was my first time raising it and I was trying to do the mainsheet and push up the mast myself.

Do you have a link to an example of your exact technique? I'm always open to new approaches.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We have the C22 anchor roller from Catalina Direct. The roller is mediocre for it's intended use, but works great as a roller to use with the trailer winch to raise the mast when you have someone to help.

@Gene Neill made a much better anchor roller system that would serve both purposes well. Check his threads.

That said, a well built gin pole system with side supports, with a brake winch mounted on it, works better for stepping the mast, and can be done by 1 person.

Without the side supports there is a risk of the mast going sideways during the short period before the sidestays take the load.

We never do ours solo, but if I did it would definitely be that setup.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Without the side supports there is a risk of the mast going sideways during the short period before the sidestays take the load.

We never do ours solo, but if I did it would definitely be that setup.
:plus: We don't have side supports ("Baby Stays" is one common term you can search for if you want to find examples). Steadying the mast is always my job while my wife manages the winch. But if I were doing it solo, baby stays would be really high on my list.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@brockangelo I just wrote an article about this for the current main brace available free at the Catalina 22 national associations website. Raising the mast is not so bad if you have a well thought out system. I use my boom vang and the Jib Halyard. Here is my method in the video below.

My son and I rigged the boat and with him being so young it was all me for the heavy lifting. Not out fastest rigging but we were in no rush. On average I rig, Tune the mast for a race, bend the sails, and am motoring out of the channel (all solo) with the truck and trailer parked in just under an hour. You'll find a system that works for you.

Personally the gin pole method is just too cumbersome and too much "extra" stuff to bring along but hey if that's what works for people go for it. I trailer sail all over (5,000 mi last year) so raising the mast had to be one of those 10 min projects or I would not want to go sailing.

PS: the time elapsed in the video is somewhere around 30 min

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I"m in the @LakeShark camp: needs to be efficient and I only raise solo. Certainly as you raise with the main sheet tackle fixed forward to the bow stem and the forestay-- I can comfortably stand on the hatch cover mast cradled in one hand with the other dedicated to the taught main sheet tackle-- very comfortable for the fist pull and 1/2 to ensure the mast goes up straight until the stays start to take up their slack. Couple of shots of the connection details:

IMG_2586.jpgIMG_2581.jpgFile_000.jpeg

• Helpful
Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA

Horrible video attempt but it does show the connections a bit better. I tried and failed to capture video and drop with the same 2 hands -- but this does at least show the mechanical setup:

And here is the fail at showing anything useful during lowering:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I don't think I have any specific videos of my method. There may be footage somewhere on my YouTube that shows it, I do remember one video with the gopro on the mast head looking down it but don't remember which video it was. What works for me with my gin pole is:

1. mast slid back toward the stern resting on the crutch and pinned in place at the tabernacle,
2. straighten the rigging turnbuckles , lay all the shrouds out so they don't hang up.
3. Crouch down on the cabin roof under the mast and nestle it on my shoulder against my cheek as I slowly pull on the main sheet to start lifting it. It gets easier to lift after a few feet of movement and even on windy days, I've never had a problem with it going side to side. Before it gets fully raised and the rigging gets tight, I'll check all the turnbuckles again. Sometimes I'll even have the boat hook right next to me so I can sill hold the mast and use it to straighten/unstick anything. As far as mast raising goes, it pays to pick your parking spot. I like to park the boat facing down hill to raise and uphill to lower. A few inches of angle might or might not be a little bit of help, but if it helps your confidence, go for it.

Jun 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
This is the simplest way to do it.
From parking to rigging to launching to parking the van/trailer to casting off is down to 45 minutes:
Watch "How to Step (Raise) the Catalina 22 Mast without a Ginpole easy" on YouTube

Feb 28, 2022
That does look really great. I might have to try that method again. The very first time I raised the mast I used the mainsheet, but I imagine I didn't understand everything as well as I do now, so it would probably go a lot smoother now. I also like this block that he put in on the mast stepper post. I still don't think I'm comfortable trailering it with the mast on the post because I worry that if it broke the gudgeon and pintles that I'd be without a rudder.