Saying hello

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Hi all,

My name is Brock Angelo and I'm a new owner of a 1984 Catalina 22 and I'm super excited. I had a bad experience the first time I tried to buy a "grown up" sailboat as an adult (title and registration issues), but I'm glad that didn't work out because I really love the Catalina. It looks like the perfect cruiser for us.

I've been reading a lot since I joined and there is a ton of amazing info in this forum, so thanks for all of your contributions. I'm in midwest Illinois and would love to do the Apostle Islands tour at the end of August, but I'm not sure if I'll have my boat and my skills in shape by then. But it is an exciting goal to work towards. I'm attaching a picture of the boat where I'm storing it about a mile from home.

Thanks, and hello!

Attachments

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Welcome to the forum! As you've already learned....ton's of valuable information and experienced Cat 22 sailors on here. Best advice given...if you ever end up at a point where you either see or experience something with "stuff" on the boat that makes you scratch your head, simply post the question here because it's highly likely someone has seen or experienced the same thing.

Enjoy and Fair Winds!
Zinger88
~~ _/) ~~~

Feb 28, 2022
Looks nice. You should cover it.
Thanks. Only reason why it isn’t converted is because there is no rain this week and I’m getting in and out of it. I have a full size tarp that is ready though.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
full size tarp that is ready though.
Beware of non-fitted tarps. In wind, and especially when towing, they can beat the heck out of the boat
I especially don't see the point of a cover when towing.

FWIW, I haven't covered our C22 in the years we have owned her. Even with snow and rain etc. The only drawback to that is is decreases the time between coats of varnish on the exterior teak.

I do have a partially completed custom cover. The operative word is partially. It hasn't been a priority to get it finished, because tasks that keep the boat on the water are my priority with the small amount of time I have available.

In places where the sun cooks the crap out of the boat they do make sense, but here in the Midwest it hasn't been a priority for me personally.

Welcome to the forums ! :beer:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Welcome, and congratulations on your new baby!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I didn't say cover it while towing, I said cover it.

FWIW, I haven't covered our C22 in the years we have owned her. Even with snow and rain etc. The only drawback to that is is decreases the time between coats of varnish on the exterior teak.
No.
The sun will take a toll on the gelcoat, year after year of sitting there, even during the winter. It will quickly degrade any wax that's on it, too. The sun will age your hardware - chrome on winches, plastic parts on blocks and cleats, and etc.

A cover will also prevent water from finding its way into the boat, will prevent leaves or other debris from filling the cockpit and clogging the scuppers, leading to floods.

Etc., etc. Covers are good. A good cover will preserve your boat and keep it looking like new.

A good cover is one made of a breathable material, like a good canvas, with some ventilation built in. Take a look at Fairclough covers, for example.

Feb 28, 2022
I really would like a good cover. The tarp that came with it is huge, absolutely massive. It completely covers down to the trailer, but it is think blue plastic and the prior owner warned me to not let the rain pool up on it. A fitted cover with uv protection and proper posts to keep it raised would be something I’d invest in since we are still a ways out from the station here in Illinois.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
For storage I find a 25' x 12' industrial tarp is an excellent annual investment (the desert SE of Washington will eat it every season). To the previous point, it requires a tie down for every grommet to prevent flogging-- but with a little diligence it's an excellent all year storage cover. Saves the varnish, paint, deck etc....and keeping the water, snow, ice off the deck is the biggest advantage to maintaining a 49 year old craft.

CABF9C84-5B19-436C-85B0-C935CA49C975.jpeg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I really would like a good cover. The tarp that came with it is huge, absolutely massive. It completely covers down to the trailer, but it is think blue plastic and the prior owner warned me to not let the rain pool up on it. A fitted cover with uv protection and proper posts to keep it raised would be something I’d invest in since we are still a ways out from the station here in Illinois.
If you are handy you can make one. Look to Sailrite, et.al., for materials, zips, snaps, etc. I would contact Fairclough and ask what material they use. I have a Fairclogh cover for a Catalina 36 (make me an offer!), and I was given quite a few big scrap pieces, too. It's really nice stuff. Maybe they would sell you some of the rubber vent things, too.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I didn't say cover it while towing, I said cover it.
Yup. You didn't.

Unfortunately I have seen people shred their cover and damage the boat when towing a trailerable down the highway.

People do the same to vehicles being towed. My sister's 69 firebird needed a paint job after being towed 2500 miles with a nice custom made cover, which effectively sanded the crap out of the paint Many aren't aware.

The thinking seems to be: I have a cover and the boat is often towed so I will leave the cover on the boat when towing.

No.
The sun will take a toll on the gelcoat, year after year of sitting there, even during the winter. It will quickly degrade any wax that's on it, too. The sun will age your hardware - chrome on winches, plastic parts on blocks and cleats, and etc.
My Catalina 22 hasn't had a cover since it was made in 1987. The only thing that looked meh in all those years was the teak.

If this was a new or bigger boat of higher value I would have a winter cover. I plan on making a big one with a frame, this summer for our C&C

Spending $1900 CAD on a cover for a boat worth $5000 CAD to me seems there are better priorities.

A cover will also prevent water from finding its way into the boat,
If water is getting in the boat, you have other issues. It would do that when sailing or at the dock.

A good cover is one made of a breathable material, like a good canvas,
Yup. Blue tarps are awful. They don't last. They will damage the surface easily. Not breathable.

The difference between a tarp and a good custom cover like those made by a bunch of companies is night and day. Just the simple fact they are custom fit makes them prefered. Easy to install, breathable, lasts long.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You can't tell me that sunlight doesn't take a toll on gelcoat, unless you are fastidious in your application of, and maintenance of wax coatings.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You can't tell me that sunlight doesn't take a toll on gelcoat, unless you are fastidious in your application of, and maintenance of wax coatings.
It does.. just like it does even faster on vehicle paint.

That toll varies on location.

But I don't see anyone putting covers on their cars...unless they are collector cars or maybe living in the South...or are OCD.

At the end of the day the deterioration needs to be fast and severe enough, when compared to the value of the item being covered... to justify a cover.

Getting a cover that costs 1/3 of the value of a C22 seems excessive to me, when many boats look fine after decades without a cover.

Feb 28, 2022
Yep I agree with everything here. Thanks for pointing out not to drive with the cover. I was aware but not everyone is. Heck, my wife asked when we pulled up to it if we would drive it home with the blue tarp on, and we’ve even owned a boat before!!

The Fairclough is amazing but on the opposite end of the spectrum from the blue tarp. Each has there place. If I had a new paint job and had to store it outside, and knew I was going to be doing cabin work, a Fairclough would be a dream, but I’d prefer it indoors if possible.

Feb 28, 2022
Welcome aboard, Brock. Sounds like you have some good sailing ahead of you.

Sorry your welcome thread turned into a cover thread.
LOL I really don't know if I'd trust this place if this thread didn't devolve into heated arguments about these kinds of details. This is the fun of it!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Sorry your welcome thread turned into a cover thread.
Hehe. The same thing happens when a new person arrives at the marina or sailing club.... That's part of the welcome.. Sadly they haven't invented internet beer dispensers.