Single handing

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Has anyone rigged their 19 for single handing? How did you mount your hardware and did you move the winch to the cabin top?
Thank You
Ric

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Having never had a cabin boat I am quite intimidated about single handling. The Wet Dog does not have a roller furling jib and going forward is a slow procedure for me with having to climb on top of the cabin and work my way forward. I am a lot slower than I used to be even on a 24 foot boat.
Following advice on this thread, I rigged a down haul for my jib. It worked great. It pulls the jib right down to the deck and then pulling either jib sheet tight, the jib stays flat on the deck and does not go into the water.
I took three ladies sailing yesterday and had no issues. Jessie and Marlaina hanked on the jib and ran the sheets. I fiddled with the propane tank supports I had fabricated and Lee Ann provided moral support. The Georgia weather was warm for November but there was very little wind. We stayed out about and hour and a half. I am a great deal more comfortable with the boat than last time.
Visibility from the cockpit is not good when docking. The main sail falls below the boom and blocks my vision. I also need to get more comfortable with the outboard. I like to cut the power and let the momentum of the boat bring her into the dock. I share the slip with a Sea Ray which is much larger than my H240 and I worry about banging in to her or the dock. I have found that tying the stern cleat to the dock first allows the bow to drift to the right and into the Sea Ray.The next time I think that I will bring her abeam the stern dock cleat and secure a breast line to it, then disembark and pull the boat forward from the dock. This will keep me from needing a person up forward with a boat hook. Day on the Lake.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I am trying to do as much as I can from the cockpit. Going forward to douse the jib or even reef the main. I hope to stay in the cockpit. I am also looking at perhaps installing a furling system on the jib.
Those are my hopes.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to the forums WI Rigger. I know you'll make intelligent choices for your new boat, just as you did in you choices of sailing forums. These are the best guys to answer all your questions.

Has anyone rigged their 19 for single handing? How did you mount your hardware and did you move the winch to the cabin top?
Thank You
Ric
What 19 are we talking about?

The choices for sheet winches are usually either the cabin top or the cockpit combings. Either one should work well as long as the hardware is not in the way or is easy to work around and the lines feed into the cockpit and don't go overboard.

I hope to follow your progress and, please, we all love pictures.

-Will

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thank You
Ric
If you plan to single hand a lot, like I do, two must haves are a jib downhaul and a tiller pilot.

The jib downhaul will allow you to manage the hank-on headsail from the cockpit.

The tiller pilot will steer the boat, allowing you to leave the helm to make a sandwich, use the bathroom or simply kick back and watch the world go by.

I'll be happy to advise you on rigging an inexpensive jib downhaul via Private Message. You can also do a forum search for "jib downhaul". You'll find a recent discussion and a few further back.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Will and Joe
The winch I have is mast mounted, just above the entrance of the main halyard into the mast. There appears to be a void between the cabin top and the inside ceiling of the salon. I am wondering, to mount the winch on the cabin top, would I install a plate on the salon ceiling? I need to be careful because there is not a lot of free space to walk between the companionway opening and the life line.
Joe, to communicate with you, do I just post my email address here?
Will, I am not sure just how to post pictures.
Thank You for your time
Ric
I would like to hear more about a Jib Downhaul.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Justin
This is my first cruiser, before this I sailed an MC Scow. I am getting to old to sail something that requires such a quick response time.
So, I decided to get a cruiser to sail more relaxed.
I purchased my Hunter last late Summer. I am taking the Winter to make some changes in the rigging, and painting the bottom. All of this being a real learning curve.
The tiller is aluminum tubing, I am laminating Silver Maple and dark Cedar to make a new one out of wood. I am also contemplating putting a bracket in the mid way of the tiller so I can fold it back onto the stern pulpit to get it out of the way.
Just a fun time in my shop.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hi Ric,
I'm 66 and retiring next month. I wonder sometimes when I'll be too old to sail and maintain my 30' er. But then I get inspired by other members at NSA that are still racing similar boats in their 70's!
The downhaul and the tiller pilot are the best advice posted so far.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Justin
I am 73 and have been retired for 6 years.
Sailing to me is something I enjoy, the wind, the boat and me.
I am not sure just what a Jib downhaul is, is it like a Main downhaul?
Where do you sail in KS?
We Winter in NE, and Summer for 5 months in WI. We found a cabin to rent up there for the Summer. Thus, slipping the boat is Ashland. Right now I have the boat here with me in NE.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The winch I have is mast mounted, just above the entrance of the main halyard into the mast.
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about a sheet winch for your headsail.

You are looking to run your halyards back to the cockpit on a Hunter 19-2?
1635978404226.png

Or
The Hunter 19 Europa?
1635978594920.png

You must mean the Hunter 19-2, as it appears to have a mast mounted winch where the Europa doesn't seem to have a halyard winch.

Sailors run their halyards back to the cockpit all the time. You can get mast step plates with turning blocks and deck mounted turning blocks to either a cam cleat and organizer or winch.

You will certainly wasn't a backing plate and it doesn't sound right that there should be a void under the deck. Is it soft under foot? In either case, you will want no voids under your winch.

There is an article on running the control lines aft on Orion, a Mariner 19 at Http://www.mariner1922.com
1635980252372.png

-Will

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Will
Thank You so much!!!

General question:
I am looking at sailing Lake Superior this coming Summer. Would it be prudent to have everyone on board to wear a PFD mounted strobe? I am especially thinking about sailing at night.
Thanks
Ric

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In addition to Joe's suggestion, here is something I've posted many times before:
jib downhaul (Medium).jpg

What I've found works best to downhaul the jib is to sail on port tack and then heave to. The wind will now be coming off the starboard bow. Drop the jib. It should flake nicely because the hanks are set up that way. I used to drop my jib like that and then it was simple to put the jib away in its sail bag because it was already "pre-folded."

Two important things to know:

1. Do NOT thread the downhaul through the hanks.

2. Do NOT use the top hank, DO use the second one down.

These avoid friction on raising and hassles when dousing.

I used a quick snap on my C25 downhaul, clipped right onto the piston of the hank, simple on and off.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe, to communicate with you, do I just post my email address here?
Will, I am not sure just how to post pictures.
Thank You for your time
Ric
To send a private message, hover the cursor over the person's picture... you'll see "send a private message" near the bottom of the box. Do not post your email address here, you can give it to me if you like via the PM. I'm 75.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Will
I Have a Hunter 19-2.
Sailing with a jib is something all new to me. All of my sailing up to now has been on an MC Scow. Two years ago, out of Bayfield WI, I took a 4 day ASA 101-103 and 104 class on a Hunter 36. So, now after purchasing my 19-2, I am going to sail on my own. Really looking forward to it.
I am also looking into making my own furler for my jib. Has anyone made their own?
I finished laminating my new tiller yesterday. I will post a picture.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My choice would be to mount the hardware on the comings as it's easier to reach on most boats. Cabin top may force you to let go of the tiller to tend to the jib sheets. My Starwind 19 did not have winches and really didnt need them. Try it without before investing hundreds on hardware that you may or may not need.

If you're not interested/ready to buy a roller furler a couple of ideas come to mind. I went sailing with a fellow that had a Chrysler 22. After hanking the jib to the forestay, he proceeded to give the whole sail a couple of twists. This was enough to keep it neatly on deck in moderate winds until we were ready to hoist it up. On my old 19 footer I would hank it on and stuff the sail into a bag before leaving the dock. When I was ready I would simply pull the halyard and the sail would come out of the bag. There are bags made specifically for jibs that block damaging UV light. I used a plain ripstop nylon laundry bag that cost $5

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Thank you for the idea of the laundry bag to house my jib. I was told about a Jib bag for $250 or so. I would not thought about using a laundry bag.
The 19-2 comes with a mast mounted single speed winch. I will take your suggestion and leave it mounted on the mast and run my lines to the cockpit without it.
Thanks
Ric

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
If one has water ballast, and the boat is in the water all Summer, is their some kind of treatment the ballast tank should be treated with?
My 19-2 has water ballast. Thinking of this Fall and taking it out for the Winter.