Asymmetrical Rigging ideas

Oct 12, 2021
Hunter 23 Santa Cruz harbor
Three months ago I bought a 1987 hunter 23 which I sail out of Santa Cruz Harbor. I now have a new Asymmetrical sail and sock "snooper" which I wish to fly. I am interested in learning about proper rigging and advise on placement of blocks etc.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Attach the tack to the end of the bow forward of the jib then to a cleat and clew to spin sheets to an aft turning blocks then to a winch in the cockpit. Refer to the following link on rigging an asym on your sailboat: Rigging the Asymmetrical Spinnaker (fxsails.com). Next study up on deploying, dousing and jibbing the spinnaker. Then go fly it!!

1634070384371.png

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
Thankyou for this advise and link to the nice article. The Hunter 23 has no bow roller to attach a TAC block. I have seen discussions about both attaching the TAC block to Bow Pulpit (I think is a week point) or adding a pole over the bow area which unfortunately is the double sided Anker hatch. I am open to suggestions about a good attach point or pole option

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
To rig an adjustable TACK line on any boat, attach a block to the stemhead fitting. That's where your forestay and headsail's tack (or RF drum) will attach to the boat. There are normally 3 holes in the stemhead fitting, if not, you'll need to get creative with dyneema or wire. The tack line will run through this block and back to a convenient cleat near the cockpit. It also helps to have a winch nearby, just in case. On my 27 ft. boat I use 5/16 double braid dacron. This line will take a load.... so...the winch and good line will help. I have a snap shackle for the sail connection end of the line.... but I never release it under load, preferring to ease the whole line for dousing.

With the adjustable tack line you essentially have the option of changing the draft of the sail depending on point of sail. The closer to the wind, the flatter you'll want it, so the tack comes down low to the pullpit, which also brings the sail forward. Farther off the wind, easing the tack line will raise it and give you a fuller profile.

Finally, a sprit is very, very cool... but you can enjoy the sail without it. Also, a "tacker" is often mentioned. My North asym came with one made out of sail cloth. But... I don't need it now because I'm rigged for hank on sails. So I attached a snap hook to my tack line that clips to the forestay. I probably use it 15% of the time....

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
If you are going to launch and douse your spinnaker from the hatch or a bag on deck inside the jib sheets, remember that the jib sheets need to be over all of these lines if you want to launch the chute with the jib up.
If you want to gybe on the inside of the forestay the tack line needs to be run over the lazy spin sheet. If you are tacking to a point close to the forestay you may wish to gybe outside and then the lazy spin sheet should be over the tack line.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
ATN makes a device called a Tacker. It wraps around the furled headsail and allows you to work the sail. Check ATN's website or You Tube..

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
Unfortunately the Hunter 23 I own had a bow pulpit pole which lands on the deck where the Stem Head fitting should be. The connection to the forestay comes from a bracket fitting inside the Anker locker. Their is a connection for the Anker line seen above the locker (looking down on the deck) but it's a stainless pin which was built into the bows fiberglass and not proper Stem head plate.