Mods to our 35s5

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Our recently purchased B 35s5 was something of a project boat. Previous owners had made mods that didn't suit us very well. First thing was having our son (a marine electrician) spend a month removing dead wiring, relocating/upgrading batteries, adding forced air heat and a windlass as well as making a new electrical/nav stn panel and other misc improvements.
The first thing we tackled was the galley. A previous owner had removed the double round sinks and replaced it with a standard (large) kitchen sink, and also extended the countertop into the passageway. In addition, one of the table leafs had been attached as a backsplash, with a 4 inch shelf. This prevented the icebox lid from opening so a part of it was cut off and screwed down, with an uninsulated plastic lid in its place.
btw... all the original sliding pieces (galley and nav stn) were also missing...
The pic shown is after removing a cracked corian-type material and the backsplash.
IMG_0430D.JPG

The rest was removed, a new top made with a more suitable sink, and built a new full sized insulated icebox lid. The galley counter size was returned to original, opening up the passageway again. The fiddle in front of the sink was cut down for easier working in the galley.

IMG_0519.JPG

We also blocked the area under the shelf, and cut out the shelf above the galley to reclaim that space with a deeper cubby
IMG_0511.JPG

We replaced the original stove with a Force 10 two burner, mounted a bit higher than original.
IMG_0991.JPG
Other projects (complete and pending) include better support for the cushions, removing the dreaded Beneteau vinyl liners, and renewing the cabin sole.
If there is interest will post on some of these as well.. Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021
Another "what were they thinking" moment.....
The (very nice) plotter housing was mounted as shown:

fullsizeoutput_4b5a.jpeg

Seems to me that that is a prime seating position for steering when going to weather - on either tack depending...
We used some 1" Starboard to make a binnacle-top mount for instruments and the plotter. The plotter housing swivels so we can face the helmsman wherever he/she is steering from...

IMG_0462.JPG

Sep 24, 2021
I don't know if this issue is with all the 35s5's, but we found the cushions were not well supported, with the nose extending 3" beyond the settee top. This led to a sensation of 'falling out' of the seats as well as the bottom cushions tending to slide out.

We built new, wider settee tops and added a small fiddle. This has totally changed the feel of the seating, we're now held secure and comfortable.
IMG_0919.JPGIMG_0923D.JPG

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Like the pedestal setup! Can't tell from the photo what you did with the stainless "hoop" that extended up past the original compass. Pic looks like the top of that is gone. Got any shots from the side?

Sep 24, 2021
Like the pedestal setup! Can't tell from the photo what you did with the stainless "hoop" that extended up past the original compass. Pic looks like the top of that is gone. Got any shots from the side?
Thanks JR
There was no “hoop”, just a Rube Goldberg assembly of straight pipe and 90ies. I'm considering having a grab rail fabricated that goes over the plotter - it's too 'handy' a grab point now.

E832A6D2-8710-4896-B840-8D401AC0CCC9.jpegA01FC200-2E6C-4CA2-BA4A-2BE6A3F03397.jpegE381BC71-1D08-4FBB-8130-40C94C9B9128.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021
Moving on....

I mentioned that all of the sliding pieces in the galley or nav station areas were missing; also the stool wasn't original and had quite an unsightly base. We decided to change things up, and built a stand-up nav desk and converted the stool-base area into a small storage cubby. The nav desk is quite deep and added a ton of storage.
The white 'countertop' on the original nav area 'lifts out' for access to the hot water tank.
IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

The original teak ply electrical/switch panel had been left with misaligned cutouts and leftover holes, we replaced it with a black starboard panel, adding extra switch circuits, battery monitor, and a very handy white board for noting daily tides, slack current at narrows, and other importants notes/reminders. At this point the original relay panel still functions fine!

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Very nice refit ,unreal what some people do to their boat. Looks like you could add a cockpit table to enjoy outdoor dinning

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Zarcor makes a nice cockpit table that attaches to the pedestal and folds down in front of the pedestal. I have one on the First 310. Actually I have lots of Zarcor products on the boat that the PO put on before I bought it. Love them all. Good stuff.

Sep 24, 2021
Very nice refit ,unreal what some people do to their boat. Looks like you could add a cockpit table to enjoy outdoor dinning
Thanks!
The cockpit table is on the list! There is a 'snap on' table that we are using but it's pretty wobbly and has to be stowed. Plans are for a hinged fold-up made out of low maintenance Starboard.

Sep 24, 2021
Speaking of tables, our 35s5 came without a salon table. I copied a nice design from a previous boat, with a 'fold-up-and-over' leaf rather than two drop-leafs as standard. The folded over leaf has fiddles, creating a smaller fiddled table for use under way. Port side is a conventional drop leaf. Built mostly of Sapelle (much less expensive than teak), I used the existing aft support beam and the forward end attaches to the mast support tube. The boat came with some Beneteau decals so I incorporated the 'seahorse' logo..
The fold over leaf also permitted the side access storage for essentials!

IMG_0925D.JPG IMG_0926D.JPG IMG_0927D.JPG

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Speaking of tables, our 35s5 came without a salon table. I copied a nice design from a previous boat, with a 'fold-up-and-over' leaf rather than two drop-leafs as standard.
The fold over leaf also permitted the side access storage for essentials!
Nice design & great craftsmanship!

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Well done. I didn't know that sapelle looked as good as that when finished.
The most important item in the picture is the Kraken black rum - my favourite!

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Hollyberry - can I ask where you got the new galley sink, I am doing some interior mods as well and am looking for a new sink - I like look of yours. Thanks.

Sep 24, 2021
Well done. I didn't know that sapelle looked as good as that when finished.
The most important item in the picture is the Kraken black rum - my favourite!
Oddly, some of the sapelle has a very similar appearance to mahogany (I believe it's the same family) but other pieces more closely resemble teak, esp once stained..
As for the Kraken, I did say the storage area was for 'essentials'! ;)

Sep 24, 2021
Hollyberry - can I ask where you got the new galley sink, I am doing some interior mods as well and am looking for a new sink - I like look of yours. Thanks.
I found it on a 'discount' kitchen supply's web site, near Vancouver BC. 14"x16" SS sink. Details below if you want to try crossborder shopping!!

DKBC (Discount Kitchen & Bath Cabinets LTD.)
Tel: 604-420-8777
Cel: 778-861-5383
Email: discountcabinets@hotmail.com
Add: 2284 Holdom Ave Burnaby, BC V5B4Y5