trailer extension

Sep 11, 2021
Catalina 22 22 mkII Sebastian
can anyone help point me in the right direction for some videos that show how to use the trailer toungue extension.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
can anyone help point me in the right direction for some videos that show how to use the trailer toungue extension.
Not every boat has one. I assume they were optional or added later

If your trailer has an extension, they can be slightly different.
Is it permanently attached to the trailer and it slides out ?
Is it a separate piece that you connect to the trailer ?

Post photos of yours.

Sep 11, 2021
as soon as I can get by the trailer I will. though I feel like it's a slide out one. I've never used one before so this is new territory for me.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Don't have a good shot of it during deployment-- but if you have stock original trailer the main receiver would have been a sliding tongue. In my pic the main extension was rusted shut so we welded it permanently and added a secondary extension offset from center.

Using it is simple-- I block the trailer, disconnect from the truck-- extend the tongue to what is typically my 6' pin -- I can go all the way to 10' if the ramp warrants (never need it), and then re-hitch to the truck. At parking lot crawl I position to the ramp fully extended and fully rigged -- launch and retrieve. Before the drive home I drop the trailer again and return the hitch to the towing receiver and home she goes.

File_006.jpeg

File_007.jpeg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Don't have a good shot of it during deployment-- but if you have stock original trailer the main receiver would have been a sliding tongue. In my pic the main extension was rusted shut so we welded it permanently and added a secondary extension offset from center.

Using it is simple-- I block the trailer, disconnect from the truck-- extend the tongue to what is typically my 6' pin -- I can go all the way to 10' if the ramp warrants (never need it), and then re-hitch to the truck. At parking lot crawl I position to the ramp fully extended and fully rigged -- launch and retrieve. Before the drive home I drop the trailer again and return the hitch to the towing receiver and home she goes.

View attachment 198339

View attachment 198340
Looks like you or the PO welded the original sliding extension, which is what I use. I block the wheels pull a pin and creep forward pulling out the extension. Launch and retrieve extended, then block and back the extension back in to driving position, pin and off I go.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Bing videos on extending boat trailer tonuge: How to extend a boat trailer - Bing video AND Extending boat trailer tongue - Bing video . I did this on my skiboat trailer when I modified it with a swing tougue to accomodate trailer storage in my garage. Have you considered a receiver extension? How to install a hitch extender - and what is the best trailer hitch extension - Bing video I did this recently on my tow vehicle and trailer rear hitch receivers to ensure my bike rack did not infringe. Good dicussion on extending the tongue and things to consider in this thread: Next, Best way to add length to trailer tongue | Game Fishing Forum. Suggest contacing etrailer as they are very helpful for parts and hints on extending your trailer tongue: Option for Extending a 3 inch by 3 inch Trailer Tongue | etrailer.com

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
this is so easy I feel so stupid... live and learn.
Hehe. IMO it is always better to find out something is easier than expected, than to run into problems you are not prepared for.

Unfortunately, I have had more than a few times I break that rule and find some unexpected snag when I arrive on site of whatever task is at hand.

If you want stupid... Try forgetting the keys to the boat, after driving 2 hours to get to the Marina. :biggrin:

But heck.. "Be Prepared"

Sep 11, 2021
Hehe. IMO it is always better to find out something is easier than expected, than to run into problems you are not prepared for.
yes I completely agree. not to up one you but I did once drive my car down to key west to park it for the weekend to be thw return trip car, and then go back up to Lauderdale race the key west race week feeder race then leave thw keys in Lauderdale... once so I got that going for me lol.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Something to think about while extending the tongue on your boat trailer: using chocks or curbs behind your trailer wheels. If your trailer is like mine, there's no stopper on the extendable tongue, it can and will pull completely out of the trailer. I always try to extend/compress mine with a cement curb right behind the trailer tires and I find that moving with the trailer jack stand up and down can make a big difference in how easy the job goes.