Looking at a used 280 with a 2° port list

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I have walked, looked at and did a couple of visual inspection on a '96 280. Working on scheduling a full inspection and a sea trial.

There is one thing that bugs me, she always has a 2° port list.

Any ideas of a possible cause?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

List may be due to too much gear storage on port side......rebalance the gear?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
On a 20 something foot boat, a small list is almost always nothing more than weight distribution. Easily cured by some willing “rail meat”.

Aug 19, 2021
On a 20 something foot boat, a small list is almost always nothing more than weight distribution. Easily cured by some willing “rail meat”.
That is what I thought. That said after many, many years of helping keep the flight deck level on a couple of aircraft carriers.... It is going to bug me.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On another forum members Capri 26 we found a couple large bricks made of spent lead bullets encased in resin with Frank Butlers business card hidden under starboard settee, obviously factory leveling ballast.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The H280 is a great little boat. I owned one for a few years (my first boat).

I wouldn’t worry about a little list…check and see what is stored where…
IIRC, water tank is in the bow. My batteries were amid ships under the settee. Fuel tank was in the stern, on the STB side I think. Icebox was STB. Head was Port, but I don’t recall, where the holding tank was….maybe it needs to be pumped out :banghead:

What else do they have stored in there?

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
What side is the water tank on? When full mine has more of a lean than that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does the growth ring (Slime) around the waterline correspond with the list. If so it may indicate a longer term situation that would need investigation. Given your background, I would advise not to buy a listing boat if it's going to irritate you. A boat should bring you pleasure. Thank you for your service.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Don S/V ILLusion said:

That is what I thought. That said after many, many years of helping keep the flight deck level on a couple of aircraft carriers.... It is going to bug me.
I bet those carriers would take a lot of rail meat!

Aug 19, 2021
Does the growth ring (Slime) around the waterline correspond with the list. If so it may indicate a longer term situation that would need investigation. Given your background, I would advise not to buy a listing boat if it's going to irritate you. A boat should bring you pleasure. Thank you for your service.
I do not know. I will look tomorrow. Great thought

Aug 19, 2021
The H280 is a great little boat. I owned one for a few years (my first boat).

I wouldn’t worry about a little list…check and see what is stored where…
IIRC, water tank is in the bow. My batteries were amid ships under the settee. Fuel tank was in the stern, on the STB side I think. Icebox was STB. Head was Port, but I don’t recall, where the holding tank was….maybe it needs to be pumped out :banghead:

What else do they have stored in there?

Greg
I know the waste tank is missing a cap. Filling that with rain would cause a port

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
My 1997 280 has the same list of the port side. Batteries, head on the port side.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My friend's h280 is also listed to port whereas my h326 is listed to starboard. Nope it's not batteries, tools nor beer....checked those..

Ken Y

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Our H27 heels to port a bit. Holding tank and two batteries to port. Also, since the table leaf drops on the port side, we use the port lockers under the sofa seat for much of the often used items.

I'm a union stagehand, and a season or two back I got some stage bricks -- iron counterweights for rigging systems -- and secured them in some starboard lockers. It helped, but we still aren't completely level in our slip. (Anyone who may try a similar solution, be sure to secure the ballast. You don't want it sliding around when heeling or in rough seas.)

One time in our previous H23.5 I was sleeping onboard alone on the port side, and around 8:30 that morning one of the dock hands came pounding on the side of the boat because he saw what he felt was excessive heel and was afraid she was taking on water. :oops: Guess I need to lose a few pounds!

Anyway, these "smaller" boats -- less than around 30', say -- are more affected by such considerations as compared to our bigger siblings.