Rookies first outing, hunter 260

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Am I crazy to think that I could launch the boat at NSC, start the 9.9 and motor around for an hour or 2 at a few knots. Possibly raise a bit of sail if there wasn't much wind, and go from there?
Kind of what I did my first time out except I left the mast and boom home and just motored. Got use to the tiller, momentum of the boat, practiced docking at the pier, etc.
Sounds like a good plan.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Not entirely crazy. You do need to understand how to read a chart to know where the chanel is. Other than that you will quickly figure out how to motor around. Returning to the dock just go really slow, have your fenders, mooring lines and a boat hook ready.
Sailing is a bit more complicated but not rocket science. Sailing well is another thing that really does take training, which could just be sailing with experienced sailors. You could read books and watch YouTube which will help but getting out there and doing it with someone to show you the ropes (literally) will get you a lot further, faster.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Another suggestion, get a chart app on your phone. I use Navionics but there are others out there. It's like having a chart plotter in your pocket. This is the entrance to NSC on Navionics.
Screenshot_20210825-212615_Boating.jpg

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
There’s several Ottawa 260 sailors on the Hunter 26/260/270 facebook group who may be willing to assist.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The nice thing about the 260, is the keel will just tip up if you kiss the sandbars.

Jul 2, 2021
Hunter 260 Ottawa
The Ottawa river is a lot more forgiving than Lake Ontario. Don't worry about the rapids, just turn left when you leave the NSC channel and you won't be anywhere near that danger. I've sailed on the Ottawa (out of BYC) for about a half century, it is extremely rare for anyone to go down the rapids. There was one a couple years ago but that was a pontoon boat and they had no clue the rapids were even there, just drove right down, so you are already way ahead of them.

Let me know if you have any questions about local knowledge. I've hit most of the reefs myself ;)

I've never launched at NSC so I can't help much but I do know people that sail out of there that may be able to help. I've never rigged a Hunter 260 but feel free to contact me (PM for contact info) and maybe we can meet up to get your started. I've rigged and sailed more boats than I can count.

I really (really, really, really) recommend you contact Advantage boating and sign up for the basic cruising course. Ask about having them train you on your own boat; it will be way more help than you can possibly imagine. If Ron or Doris answer the phone, tell them D'Arcy sent you. I'm not affiliated with Advantage in any way, I've just sailed with (and raced against) them for many years.
We are the newest members of the BYC! We hope to have the boat in the yard next week, awaiting a slip next season if lady lucks smiles on us, if not we will launch from the trailer.

Still weighing the --- trial by fire/find a sailor at the BYC to help/advantage boat club --- options.

Will let you know which we go with and the outcome. The rapids certainly do sound nice while inside the BYC, hopefully, I don't hear them at all when out of it! ;)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Welcome to the club!!!
When does your boat arrive? The name on my boat is Integrity (haven't gotten the new name and logo printed yet), across the harbour from the blue crane you will use to launch. Say hi if you see me at the boat. I'll be out of town for a few days be let me know when you are launching and I will see if I can help out.

Jul 2, 2021
Hunter 260 Ottawa
The boat arrives Sunday/Monday and I hope to bring it to the club early next week.

We will use the trailer to launch, we have a Hunter 260.
Any and all help is welcome!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
The boat arrives Sunday/Monday and I hope to bring it to the club early next week.

We will use the trailer to launch, we have a Hunter 260.
Any and all help is welcome!
I'll be around Thursday and Friday next week. Let me know if you need a hand. I'll be going to the Baskin's corn boil the following weekend, the party is on the 5th, which is a lot of fun. You can sail up or drive and it's always great to have fresh faces.

Jul 2, 2021
Hunter 260 Ottawa
I'll be around Thursday and Friday next week. Let me know if you need a hand. I'll be going to the Baskin's corn boil the following weekend, the party is on the 5th, which is a lot of fun. You can sail up or drive and it's always great to have fresh faces.
We are in the yard, saw you on the boat yesterday but by the time we walked over you were inside and I didn't want to bother you.
We will be trying to figure some things out on the trailer today. If the nerve makes an appearance we may put it in the water but will likely wait for an end of season slip rather than having to deal with trailering in and out on top of trying to do a bit of sailing.

Victor

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Where is your boat? I looked around the yard but didn't see a Hunter 260. I'm heading out for a couple of days on the boat, will be back on Monday.

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Our Hunter 260 will arrive early next week and we plan on spending a few days learning the mast raising/lowering in the driveway prior to our first attempt at sailing.

We have ZERO sailing experience.

We aren't absolute morons, which is arguable, and believe we can figure things out.
How about boating experience? My wife and I took our Hunter 26 out for our first sail ever and had a great time but it was NOT our first time on a boat or driving a boat. But it was our first time SAILING.

What I can say about driving a boat under sail vs under power was not nearly as complicated as many make it sound. There is a lot to boating but for me, switching from a power boat to sail boat, was quite fun. I will say that we had taken an online sailing course and were familiar with all the concepts but had not done it in person. We also had raised the mast and sails in the driveway and ensured that we understood how it all worked. Our first vert short outing we raised the sails but left the motor running "just in case". Learned a lot on the short outing which prompted some upgrades to the boat before the next outing. The 2nd trip out we spent over 4+ hours under sail, had a blast and learned a lot.

My recommendations:
  • As previously mentioned by others, stay away from a waterway with current or obstacles or lots traffic.
  • Select a lake that is big enough and quiet enough that you aren't panicking and needing to make quick maneuvers. Tacking for the first few times may not go as planned and as long as there is plenty of space and no traffic there are no worries. Just gather things up and try it again.
  • Be sure to get sailing gloves (or any gloves) as when a mistake happens you don't want to get rope burns and ruin the outing.

Aug 27, 2018
Hunter 260 Trailer in Amarillo TX
You managed that very well by getting involved with a club and crewing with experienced sailers. Way to go. My wife and I are about 3 years ahead of you in a similar situation of learning to sail on our first boat ever a H260. Our first experiences were with an instructor and a few experienced sailers showing us the ropes, literally.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
We went out. Again and again. I started crewing on a race team. Last weekend we flew the spinakker.

All good. Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm glad to hear you got out there, and didn't go down the rapids ;) Racing with experienced crew is one of the best ways to learn how to sail. What boat did you race on?

Did you dry sail or get a wet mooring? I'm just curious if you ramp launched or used the crane. I hear the harbour is full so it's hard to get a mooring.