SELF TAILING WINCH ARM DIRECTION

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
After completing a good cleaning, applying lubricant and rebuilding my winches, upon re installing the the self tailing bracket, I realized I did not take a picture or note in which direction it should be pointing. Can anyone help me in this matter. So I can understand any and all placement directions lets make 12 O'clock straight forward, going clockwise, using the leg of the self tailing part as the position point. Thanks in advance. This is all for single handed sailing.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Can you post a photo showing your concern? Do you have the winch manual? Are you asking what position the winch self-tailing arm is positioned for proper line exit? If so, you want it pointing into the cockpit so it does not go overboard.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The arms on our jib sheet winches are at 6:00. On the port winch that conveniently brings the bitter end back and into the cockpit. On the starboard winch it brings the bitter end basically straight back, and we just flake it into the cockpit from there. It’s really just a matter of where you want the end based on where you sit and trim from.

The orientation of the winch itself does matter more - the gears need to be oriented a certain way relative to the loaded sheet to best handle the load. But I assume your question is just about the arm, not the whole winch.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
That piece is called named the feeder arm. It's purpose is, as the sheet is winched, to extract the sheet out of the crown so it falls free, and you want the feeder arm located where you want the sheet to come off of the winch. Typically this would be on the side of the winch nearest the inside of the cockpit, so the sheet falls into the cockpit, versus say, over the side of the boat....
1629573616226.png

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Once you put them back on and try to wrap the line you might have a bit of muscle memory that makes you think “hmm, that’s different from before”.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
My big thing is I do a lot of solo sailing. I always set up my sheets ready around the winches after the last tack. I make sure the tail of the sheet is within grasp of me being behind the wheel so I can "un lassoo" the one and then pull on the other after my tack.. The way I have them set up now is making me work harder.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The orientation of the winch itself does matter more - the gears need to be oriented a certain way relative to the loaded sheet to best handle the load. But I assume your question is just about the arm, not the whole winch.
This is an interesting comment, but a bit puzzling, what is your source for this idea? I took a quick look a Lewmar winch manual and it does not mention the orientation of the winch, other then the entry angle of the sheet.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
This is an interesting comment, but a bit puzzling, what is your source for this idea? I took a quick look a Lewmar winch manual and it does not mention the orientation of the winch, other then the entry angle of the sheet.
See post # 9…and follow the thread.
I didn’t know this either, but will check the winches on my O’Day 322 to see if the are mounted correctly.

I am upgrading winches over the winter, and will be making sure I orient the new ones correctly.

On my old Barlow winches, it is really easy to set the stripper ring (that is what I call them), in any orientation around the winch. I need to move one of mine after servicing them, as I didn’t put it in the right place, so it is hard to lock the rope in the self tailer groove from behind the wheel.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Here’s an excerpt from a Harken winch manual:
1629597944231.png

The Anderson manual excerpt in the thread Tally Ho referenced has a similar diagram. I don’t know the physics behind the recommendation. I would think the gears wouldn’t care about orientation, being circular and all. Maybe the housing is somehow not symmetrical to accommodate the output gear and that makes a weak point?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I, have found the Andersen winch install orientation page helpful in showing how the winch should sit and the area for the arm.
Page 6 of 8

You can adjust the arm to sit wherever it is best for you.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
This orientation takes a little thought. If you sometimes single hand and place the stripper arm between 6 and 9 it will be difficult to pull the sheet on a tack by someone forward.

May 17, 2004
When pulling quickly it’s easier and less friction just to pull straight off the drum, so the position of the arm doesn’t matter. When you want to grind then the line goes over the arm and into the jaws, but once in the jaws it doesn’t need to be tailed, so the grinder doesn’t really need it to be pointed toward them them anyway.