Hunter 240 Electrical Panel

May 18, 2021
Hunter 240 Charleston, SC
Hi folks! I have a 2000 Hunter 240 I bought after MANY years of neglect and sitting on the trailer. I'm down to replacing the last few bits to get her back on the water where she belongs. However, I replaced the battery yesterday and nothing is working. I suspect that the panel, breakers, fuses, and relays have lost the battle with corrosion.

That being said, I have a few questions for the salty sailors here:
1. Should I scrap all of the wire and just re-wire everything?
2. Should I replace the panel and associated switches, fuses, & relays?
3. If a new panel is in order, where would I find the entire assembly? Hunterowners.com doesn't carry it (that I could find) and no specifics are in the manual.
4. Should I rebuild the panel for myself with better rocker switches, fuses, and relays AND re-wire the whole thing?

I know you kind folks will steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

-Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Before you scrap it all, I would do some basic continuity testing with a VOM. See if the panel is getting power, see if power is flowing past the breakers and switches. I doubt the entire panel is bad. Rewiring is not a simple thing if you aren't super familiar with electrical systems.

That being said, I need a new switch for my panel and they look the same as yours. Let me know if you find a suitable replacement please.

May 18, 2021
Hunter 240 Charleston, SC
Before you scrap it all, I would do some basic continuity testing with a VOM. See if the panel is getting power, see if power is flowing past the breakers and switches. I doubt the entire panel is bad. Rewiring is not a simple thing if you aren't super familiar with electrical systems.

That being said, I need a new switch for my panel and they look the same as yours. Let me know if you find a suitable replacement please.
I'm heading to West Marine in a few. I'll let you know what I find. I'm taking the schematic with me.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Also check the negative bus, which on my 240 was a bolt connecting all the ring terminals on the black wires to the negative lead from the battery. Probably something simple, as it looks pretty clean. According to the manual there is supposed to be a fuse on the main positive lead from the battery, but I could never find it on my '98 240- it might have been further up buried in the foam.

Let me know if you need any panel nuts for the switches- I had to buy about 50 to replace the plastic ones on my panel that had cracked- looks like you may have the same problem. Could mail you some-

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Fix it. Nothing terribly wrong with the panel/switches/breakers/wires if they work. Replace marginal stuff aggressively.

2nd the neg bus - get a decent blueseas bus bar and get rid of stacked up wires. Just take a DMM, and start tracing. I like to use a long wire for the "other" side - i.e. take a good long wire and attach the - side of your meter to the - side of the battery. Then, starting at the battery you can measure the + side to the panel, then the device. If + measures out, reverse the procedure and trace the - side.

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
Crispy, West Marine does have the on/off and the on/off/on switches that fit the panel we have. The store closest to me has them in stock.

-Adam
Adam - I have the same year 240. I'm trying to figure out some lighting issues. One of the mast top lights works but not the other. One running light works but not the other. I took the panel off today and one of the accessory switch connections broke off of the back of the switch.

Can you share what switch parts you've found to be a match?

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
Also check the negative bus, which on my 240 was a bolt connecting all the ring terminals on the black wires to the negative lead from the battery. Probably something simple, as it looks pretty clean. According to the manual there is supposed to be a fuse on the main positive lead from the battery, but I could never find it on my '98 240- it might have been further up buried in the foam.

Let me know if you need any panel nuts for the switches- I had to buy about 50 to replace the plastic ones on my panel that had cracked- looks like you may have the same problem. Could mail you some-
I'm missing a couple of these as well. Still have some? I'd gladly buy a few if you do.