Navico Simrand WP-30

Jul 12, 2021
Pearson 32 Winthrop Harbor
I'm looking for WP-30 wheel pilot parts. If you have an old unit sitting around I'd love to buy it for parts! The main issue is that the cover keeps popping off and whatever is keeping it on is getting worn out. My boat partners forget to disengage the clutch and force the wheel. So, I need a new cover (the part that engages the belt and attaches to the wheel spokes)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021
If you are looking for the little wheels around the perimeter (which always fail), you can buy superior ones here: BUY Autopilot Replacement Parts | i3DGear
Awesome resource! My main problem is that the cover won't stay snapped in place... it's come off so much it's worn out. I share my boat with a couple of guys who forget to disengage the clutch and force the wheel which pops off the cover...

I'm going to by these wheels anyway just to have them!

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You can stop the cover from popping off by moving the unit aft (it has two rods that it slides back and forth on), pressing it against the wheel, can't come off. You can also modify the rubber bumper assembly that captures a wheel spoke so that you can remove the wheel without pulling off the autopilot cover. Attach bolts on the inside of the cover facing out, put nuts on the outside of the cover to hold these bolts in place. You need to drill out the little bumpers a bit to accomodate the nuts. Put nuts and washers over the bumpers to hold them in. Much better.

Jul 12, 2021
You can stop the cover from popping off by moving the unit aft (it has two rods that it slides back and forth on), pressing it against the wheel, can't come off. You can also modify the rubber bumper assembly that captures a wheel spoke so that you can remove the wheel without pulling off the autopilot cover. Attach bolts on the inside of the cover facing out, put nuts on the outside of the cover to hold these bolts in place. You need to drill out the little bumpers a bit to accomodate the nuts. Put nuts and washers over the bumpers to hold them in. Much better.
Hmmm.... I'm not sure I follow the modification. I get that I can adjust the distance of the device from the console so it presses up against the wheel and won't pop off (great idea), but I can already remove the wheel without popping off the cover. The Simrand logo comes off the posts and I can pull off the wheel..

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Mine was different, I assumed it was original. The heads of the bolts were accessible from the outside but the nuts were inside the cover - there was a plate across the spoke that prevented separating the wheel from the cover without accessing the nuts on the inside. It looked factory, maybe they figured out a better way.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I'm looking for WP-30 wheel pilot parts. If you have an old unit sitting around I'd love to buy it for parts! The main issue is that the cover keeps popping off and whatever is keeping it on is getting worn out. My boat partners forget to disengage the clutch and force the wheel. So, I need a new cover (the part that engages the belt and attaches to the wheel spokes)
Have you had it apart for inspection? Sounds like you must have since the ring is popping off.

The main thing holding the drive ring on is the ring rollers riding in the plastic v-groove that's glued to the inside of the ring. My v-groove was quite worn and coming partly unglued from the drive ring. I sort of rebuilt the v-groove with some E6000 adhesive and reglued it to the drive ring. It works much better now.

If something like that is not the problem then the new ring rollers might do the trick.

@dmax do you mean you just permanently bolted the "little bumpers" to the spoke splines so they wouldn't come off when you removed the wheeL? Edit: just saw your new post. Never mind.

Attachments

Jul 12, 2021
Have you had it apart for inspection? Sounds like you must have since the ring is popping off.

The main thing holding the drive ring on is the ring rollers riding in the plastic v-groove that's glued to the inside of the ring. My v-groove was quite worn and coming partly unglued from the drive ring. I sort of rebuilt the v-groove with some E6000 adhesive and reglued it to the drive ring. It works much better now.

If something like that is not the problem then the new ring rollers might do the trick.
I think I see what you mean...the edge of the rollers may be worn so new rollers would have a sharper "male" V to fit into the "female" V-groove. My v groove looks pretty good, but I have no reference for the ring rollers. I ordered some new rollers that I can use for comparison.

This thing has got to be 20+ years old so I wouldn't be surprised if that were an issue. Good advice!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I think I see what you mean...the edge of the rollers may be worn so new rollers would have a sharper "male" V to fit into the "female" V-groove. My v groove looks pretty good, but I have no reference for the ring rollers. I ordered some new rollers that I can use for comparison.

This thing has got to be 20+ years old so I wouldn't be surprised if that were an issue. Good advice!
Good luck and please post how it goes. I'm curious about those 3D printed ring rollers.

Sorry for asking the obvious but I just thought of this. When you put the ring back on you do tighten up the six allen bolts that hold the ring rollers on right?

Jul 12, 2021
Good luck and please post how it goes. I'm curious about those 3D printed ring rollers.

Sorry for asking the obvious but I just thought of this. When you put the ring back on you do tighten up the six allen bolts that hold the ring rollers on right?
Nope. Is that something I should do? Should I loosen them before disassembling and then tighten after I put it back together? I've never touched them,

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Yes, you tighten the allen bolts on the six wheels prior to putting the cover on. The bolts hold the wheels in place but still allow them to spin (if they are intact). You then slide the cover on over the wheels while simultaneously keeping the belt in place - it helps if you've been blessed with a third hand.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Nope. Is that something I should do? Should I loosen them before disassembling and then tighten after I put it back together? I've never touched them,
Well, that's a possible issue. Normally, to remove the drive ring you loosen up those six allen head screws/bolts which loosens the six ring rollers. That allows you to remove the ring. After you put the ring back on you tighten them back up. That would be great if your problem was just that those have worked themselves loose.

Jul 12, 2021
Yes, you tighten the allen bolts on the six wheels prior to putting the cover on. The bolts hold the wheels in place but still allow them to spin (if they are intact). You then slide the cover on over the wheels while simultaneously keeping the belt in place - it helps if you've been blessed with a third hand.
So I should loosen them first..how loose? This is new to me!

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Sorry - I forgot that the allen bolts are accessible via small holes from the outside - I just loosen them a turn or so, it's better if they don't fall off. Once back together, tighten the allen bolts.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If you can get the drive ring off they are loose enough. Normally you loosen them just enogh to get the ring off. Not so much that the the rollers themselves come off.

Dmax said "...you tighten the allen bolts on the six wheels prior to putting the cover on. The bolts hold the wheels in place but still allow them to spin (if they are intact). You then slide the cover on over the wheels while simultaneously keeping the belt in place."

You do not tighten the allen bolts before putting on the cover (cover being the drive ring). The allen bolts / rollers should be loose when putting on the ring and then tightened after you put on the ring. I agree with him that it does help to have a third hand.

PS: if you have never changed the belt I would suggest you do that.

EDIT: my post crossed with Dmax's #15. I'm a little confused because on mine (WP30) the fasteners are button head allen screws and are accessable on the back of the unit (that would be toward the forward side of the boat). There are no holes you need to go through.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021
@dmax Here is a photo: 12.07.2021_16.15.03_REC . Are these two rollers (arrows) supposed to be different than the others. They slide off without unscrewing them. Maybe I'm missing the top washer-type piece (white) that is on the other rollers...

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
@dmax Here is a photo: 12.07.2021_16.15.03_REC . Are these two rollers (arrows) supposed to be different than the others. They slide off without unscrewing them. Maybe I'm missing the top washer-type piece (white) that is on the other rollers...
They should all be the same and should not slide off without unscrewing.

Maybe the 3D printer guy can sell you just those parts.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
They should all be the same and should not slide off without unscrewing.

Maybe the 3D printer guy can sell you just those parts.
Yes, what Richard said - they should all look the same and rotate freely.

"EDIT: my post crossed with Dmax's #15. I'm a little confused because on mine (WP30) the fasteners are button head allen screws and are accessable on the back of the unit (that would be toward the forward side of the boat). There are no holes you need to go through."
Mine is like that as well, I didn't remember it correctly, it's been 3 years since I had it apart.