Does the thread ever stop unraveling?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Or ... do boat projects never end?

It turns out that the new serpentine pulley I installed rubs on the engine cover under the companionway steps. Friday night was the 1st time since my install that I ran the engine with the cover fully secured. It made the most horrible sound! Until I realized what it was, I can't tell you how alarmed I was! We pulled the cover out about an inch & secured it so we could motor and sail. With it pulled out an inch, the stair frame just comes down on top of the top, front edge.

I'm thinking of 2 ways to resolve this. Either I trim around the back edge of the cover so that it is secured in a new position. I would also have to adjust the steps (I hate to think about this because the steps are a nuisance already to get around into the aft cabin). Or, I cut a hole in the cover and trim it out to give me the extra inch that I need only at the location where the pully rubs.

I guess the 3rd option is to go back to the original pulley and belt, but I really do want to avoid that. I should have known ... the insulation was removed from the interior of the cover on one side specifically to provide room for the pulley. The P.O. may have told me about that, but I'm sure it was some information that didn't really register in my brain! :facepalm:

Any suggestions?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Do you have a picture or two that would make it easier to visualize?

Perhaps there is a third pulley style that would work.

Options could range from shorter engine mounts and cutout covers and changing the angle of your ladder...

-Will

Oct 26, 2008
Do you have a picture or two that would make it easier to visualize?

Perhaps there is a third pulley style that would work.

Options could range from shorter engine mounts and cutout covers and changing the angle of your ladder...

-Will
Not going to change the pullies ... they are a new addition. I don't have a pic of the cover right now. This shows the 3 new pullies. I'm pretty sure that it is just the very top of the dark blue freshwater pump pulley (the highest of the 3) that rubs. I'm also pretty sure that if I cut a hole at that location and make space that it won't interfere with the steps. The steps are separately mounted on a hinge above the cover. They drop down over the cover with just barely enough room for the frame to clear. You can see that at the bottom, the cover has to clear the fiberglass rails, which seems to clear the crank shaft pulley. The cover may slope back slightly to make it tight at the upper pulley.

In this photo, all of the wood trim that bisects the engine compartment is removed so you can't really tell that the steps come down just over the front cover. The engine compartment is half in the galley and half in the aft cabin. There is a separate cover that fits over the rear section in the aft cabin.

IMG_6024.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They look so colorful.
It must be on the outside edge.
Wonder if a smaller pulley would work as well to pump the water?

Perhaps a white pulley in time for the 4th

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The arrangement on the C320 of the companionway stairs can be found at www.catalinayachts.com under archived brochures.

It is not unlike ours or many other Catalinas.

Just trim the inside of the stair's wood, and go sailing. Gee, ya think where it rubbed might tell you exactly where to start? :):):)

Oct 26, 2008
The arrangement on the C320 of the companionway stairs can be found at www.catalinayachts.com under archived brochures.

It is not unlike ours or many other Catalinas.

Just trim the inside of the stair's wood, and go sailing. Gee, ya think where it rubbed might tell you exactly where to start? :):):)
You did just give me another idea/option. If I move the box out slightly, I might be able to fit at least a bit more insulation. I might be able leave the stairs alone if I notch the fiberglass curb on the top of the box for each of the 2 ss rails that support the steps so that they clear the upper edge of the box. The steps themselves won't necessarily be affected if I don't move the box too far out.

Yes, the marking on the inside of the fiberglass cover tells me which pulley rubs. Luckily, it seems to be only the highest one. Not sure what you mean by "stair's wood". It rubs on the inside of the box or cover, which is fiberglass. The stairs are a ss tubular frame with wood steps and it needs to clear the box cover. The brochure (the older model) shows the fiberglass box with the ss stair rails. There is a wood insert (just as the photo shows) on the top shelf. What isn't perfectly clear is that the upper edge is a sort of curb that the rails have to clear. 2 notches might give me just enough room if I bump the whole box out about 1.5". The pulley rubs on the inside face of the box probably just below that second step from the floor, I think.

What I would hate to do is move the stairs any further out. You can see in the photo how constrained the entrance is to the aft cabin by those stairs. That is probably about the biggest compromise made to the interior on this boat (in my mind anyway). Your really have to watch your footwork when entering and exiting the cabin. It's really about my only complaint so I would really hate to have to move the steps!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You did just give me another idea/option. If I move the box out slightly, I might be able to fit at least a bit more insulation.
Glad to be able to help.
I've never been a fan of "insulation" especially the sound insulastion. Why? Because in order to work the engine needs air. There are more than enough areas where the insulation can work, and "missing" a few square inches will make no difference to the overall sound.
If you can,, notch out the conflict area and move on.
Good luck.