Head problem

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone I installed a new head on Cool Whip but it doesn’t pump water in? There is no seacock just a thru hull, I checked the vented loop and it is good vut no water to the bowl, what am I missing???

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm guessing it's a manual toilet. Make sure that the Dry/Wet lever or switch (on some toilets it's "dry/FLUSH" instead of "WET") lever is in the "wet" position.

I'm also wondering if you toilet intake line is connected to the right thru-hull, because that thru-hull has to be below waterline and I've never heard of a below-waterline thru-hull that doesn't have a seacock 'cuz seacocks are REQUIRED on all below waterline thru-hulls.

I should have asked this sooner: What's the make.model of your toilet?

Peggie

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2013
Ho Peggy it’s a jabsco, not sure on the model # but it’s a newer one, yes there should be a seacock there, but I guess in 1975 they didn’t think about it, it is a below water line thru hull
It’s in my plan to install one in the fall

sailsf yes that is how it was plumbed.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Jabsco only makes one manual toilet...the owners manual for it is here Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual
There is a common problem in that toilet that may be the reason why it's not pulling in any water: The wet/dry "flush control" is actually just a little cam (part #20 in the exploded drawing on page 8 in the manual) that the lever swings to block or unblock the flow of flush water...due to a design or tooling error, that cam hangs up--usually in the dry position, but can happen in the wet mode too.
So first make sure the toilet is in the wet mode, then try jiggling the lever...sometimes that works, at least temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. If that turns out to be the problem, call Paul Campagna at Jabsco, he's their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246. He's been known to replace the "flush control cam assembly" for no charge.

There's also another part that may be preventing flush water from coming in when it gets worn: the top valve gasket (part #21).

Since replacing either of these parts requires taking the pump apart, I'd just replace the pump assembly...the highest price I saw for one today is $90 USD @ Amazon. That only requires removing and replacing the 4 bolts and a couple of hoses. Without a seacock on the inlet thru-hull, do not even THINK of doing this while the boat is in the water!
I have no idea what a seacock (do NOT use a gate valve) will cost you, but there's a Plan B that's unlikely to cost you any more than the combined cost of the toilet pump and seacock and worth considering IMO: replace the toilet with an MSD portapotty.

The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything including urine jugs off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet and I'm not sure a "composter" can hold that much poop and organic material needed to absorb the liquid in solid waste (which, btw is about 75% water). No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out.
You already have all the hose you need...If you don't already have a holding tank, you won't need one, although you will need a deck pumpout fitting if none is installed yet. So you'll have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space...and no below-waterline thru-hull! And btw, MSD portapotties ARE legal in Canada.

If this idea appeals to you, check out the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie Available for well under $200 USD.

• Helpful
Aug 17, 2013
I might have found the problem, removed the line from the vented loop and pumped, no water, so I traced back the hoses and found a strainer in line, opened it up and still no water, from there it’s a short piece of tubing to the thru hull, I’m thinking the line is blocked by bugs or something as the boat has been on the hard over 8 years

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
Jabsco only makes one manual toilet...the owners manual for it is here Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual
There is a common problem in that toilet that may be the reason why it's not pulling in any water: The wet/dry "flush control" is actually just a little cam (part #20 in the exploded drawing on page 8 in the manual) that the lever swings to block or unblock the flow of flush water...due to a design or tooling error, that cam hangs up--usually in the dry position, but can happen in the wet mode too.
So first make sure the toilet is in the wet mode, then try jiggling the lever...sometimes that works, at least temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. If that turns out to be the problem, call Paul Campagna at Jabsco, he's their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246. He's been known to replace the "flush control cam assembly" for no charge.

There's also another part that may be preventing flush water from coming in when it gets worn: the top valve gasket (part #21).

Since replacing either of these parts requires taking the pump apart, I'd just replace the pump assembly...the highest price I saw for one today is $90 USD @ Amazon. That only requires removing and replacing the 4 bolts and a couple of hoses. Without a seacock on the inlet thru-hull, do not even THINK of doing this while the boat is in the water!
I have no idea what a seacock (do NOT use a gate valve) will cost you, but there's a Plan B that's unlikely to cost you any more than the combined cost of the toilet pump and seacock and worth considering IMO: replace the toilet with an MSD portapotty.

The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything including urine jugs off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet and I'm not sure a "composter" can hold that much poop and organic material needed to absorb the liquid in solid waste (which, btw is about 75% water). No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out.
You already have all the hose you need...If you don't already have a holding tank, you won't need one, although you will need a deck pumpout fitting if none is installed yet. So you'll have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space...and no below-waterline thru-hull! And btw, MSD portapotties ARE legal in Canada.

If this idea appeals to you, check out the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie Available for well under $200 USD.

Peggy, i am curious in a little more info regarding the MSD PortaPottie Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD. These are cleaned/emptied, if not plumbed to a holding tank, by simply removing the compartment built in to the toilet and dumping it/rinsing it out? You may recall me from another thread, pertaining to my leaking Raritan manual-flush pump, and i am still exploring options for best and most budget friendly way to address the head on my liveaboard sailboat. A $200 portapottie is an attractive option when compared to a $2000 LectraSan system!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy, i am curious in a little more info regarding the MSD PortaPottie Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD. These are cleaned/emptied, if not plumbed to a holding tank, by simply removing the compartment built in to the toilet and dumping it/rinsing it out?
That's how a PORTABLE portapotty must be emptied. The MSD version is has fittings for a vent line and pumpout line that must be connected to a deck pumpout fitting, allowing it to be pumped out, same as any other holding tank. The tank CAN be removed and carried off the boat to empty it, but only if absolutely necessary because a full 5 gallon tank weighs about 50 lbs. The pumpout line can be re-directed to a remote holding tank instead of a deck pumpout fitting, but that also requires installing a manual or electric pump in the line to move the waste from the potty to the tank. If you keep the remote holding tank and plumb the potty to empty into it, you might as well just keep the marine toilet because you lose one of main advantages of the MSD portapotty: a self-contained system instead of a tank and associated plumbing using up at least 25% of the already limited storage space on a small boat.

--Peggie

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Reeds and algae are issues in my river tie up area. Boat is perpendicular to the river. Before launch I ope the sea cock and put a rat tale file up there and gently ream out. Learned my lesson after some mid-season blockages. The OP needs to have a strainer near the toilet if he does not. You don't want anything in the toilet it was not designed for and reeds and algae are not on the "approved" list.;)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
IMO, it would be best to put the strainer as close to the thru-hull as possible while still keeping it accessible to clean it out. 'Cuz you don't want dead and decaying animal or vegetable sea life in the intake hose either!

--Peggie