Odd Discharge

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks Tom - headed over tomorrow and will reposition. I noticed previously that the foam is oil soaked - is that a normal condition? Is this another item that needs replacement? Thanks.
It's a common practice to coat the foam with oil to help filter the air entering the engine. The area near the breather hose will typically get oil soaked anyway. The foam can be washed in detergent to clean it when it gets dirty. The foam will deteriorate over time, so keep your eyes out for replacements. I usually check the lawn mower departments of the big box stores.
Have fun on the boat. I'll be pulling the cover off mine in a week or so. Can't wait to get her wet.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Did you verify the oil is not foamy by checking the dip stick? I'd check it cold when you get to the boat, then start her up and warm up to operation temp, 160 to 170 is where my engine stays, turn off and check it hot.

Here is some pics of my engine and correct hose placement.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Did you verify the oil is not foamy by checking the dip stick? I'd check it cold when you get to the boat, then start her up and warm up to operation temp, 160 to 170 is where my engine stays.
I asked that back on post #5 and never got confirmation. That should have been done right off to eliminate any serious engine issue.

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I’m headed over tonight and will check the engine oil first, then move the hose end if all is clear. Thanks all for the assistance and the visuals.

Dec 29, 2017
JRT / Justin_NSA and Tom - oil was as black as night, so I just repositioned the hose. Did not need to use the engine for more than 10 minutes tonight as we had a steady 10-15 knot wind coming out of the south. I’ll take it for a long run this weekend to confirm that this is the fix. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
JRT / Justin_NSA and Tom - oil was as black as night, so I just repositioned the hose. Did not need to use the engine for more than 10 minutes tonight as we had a steady 10-15 knot wind coming out of the south. I’ll take it for a long run this weekend to confirm that this is the fix. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Always let the diesel warm up thoroughly each time it is used. If it is only a ten minute run out of the marina, let the engine run for a while before casting off. If you take it out later for a long run, be sure to push it at full throttle for a couple of minutes. Diesels need to be run hard, and not babied.

Dec 29, 2017
Always let the diesel warm up thoroughly each time it is used. If it is only a ten minute run out of the marina, let the engine run for a while before casting off. If you take it out later for a long run, be sure to push it at full throttle for a couple of minutes. Diesels need to be run hard, and not babied.
The last item on my pre launch checklist provided by previous owner - “run engine for 5 minutes prior to leaving dock” He was a naval aviator and left me a checklist for opening up, running during the season and then winterizing. Very grateful that I bought boat from him as it has saved me hours of research on what to do.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The PO installed this air filter on our engine. No need to worry about the foam deteriorating, but it does like a washing and oiling now and then.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Diesels need to be run hard, and not babied.
Plus it is just fun to punch it wide open for a bit! I had my daughter practice this weekend with punching her wide open to get use to the changes that happen.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Plus it is just fun to punch it wide open for a bit! I had my daughter practice this weekend with punching her wide open to get use to the changes that happen.
Yeah, the boat will squat, but it won't go any faster. Good exercise for the engine, though.
When I bought my boat, the engine had only 19 hours on it, so I followed the break-in procedure as detailed in the engine manual, and the run ups to full power are important.

Dec 29, 2017
Ran engine for close to an hour and no issues. Was thinking about getting this book to help supplement my diesel knowledge. Anyone know of a better book?

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Sure, do you have the owners, operating and maintenance manuals that are specific to your motor?

Dec 29, 2017
Yes - I have all of those in a binder that I keep on board. I was wondering if a book like this could put all of the stuff that I need to be focused on in more laymen’s terms.