Odd Discharge

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I noticed the discharge in the photo the other day. I had seen something similar a few weeks back after I had my fuel lift pump replaced, but thought it was something left behind by mechanic. (He left an absorbent pad in tray under engine). I just messaged him and he has no idea and says cannot be part of his repair work. The discharge is somewhat gelatinous and has that odd silver color. Greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Check the inside of the stairs could be so e old oil or lub mixed with dirt and flaking paint falling down.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
What does it smell like?
From the heat EX?

Dec 29, 2017
It really didn’t have any particular smell - nothing gas / oil like. Just gelatinous in nature.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks kinda like oil and water whipped together. Don't be alarmed, but what does your dipstick look like?

• Ha

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm not sure if you checked the underside of the stairs, as JRT and I suggested. In any case, I see a drop of the goo on the cable run or hose next to the blob. This would indicate the goo came from above. The breather hose from the top of the engine runs to the spark arrester (air filter), and might be hanging down, away from the air inlet to the engine. Oil and moisture could collect in the hose, and expel as a blob if not continuously cleared by the engine, especially if the boat sat for a while unused.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
From what I was told, that was the sort of thing a shot from the flight surgeon would take care of.
No personal first hand experience.

• Ha
Dec 29, 2017
I'm not sure if you checked the underside of the stairs, as JRT and I suggested. In any case, I see a drop of the goo on the cable run or hose next to the blob. “
I am heading to the boat tomorrow afternoon and will check. Thanks for the heads up.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
From what I was told, that was the sort of thing a shot from the flight surgeon would take care of.
No personal first hand experience.
You mean as far as "...Don't be alarmed, but what does your dipstick look like..." kinda thing? :)

Dec 29, 2017
Tom J / JRT - the entire engine cover was clean - no goop anywhere. Regarding the breather hose is this the hose that comes off the top of the engine? Mine is not connected on the other end and has a diagonal cut across it. I checked the inside of this hose last night, as I had a small amount of the goop expelled in the same area. The hose was dry and didn’t have any sign of the goop. Any next steps / thoughts are appreciated.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom J / JRT - the entire engine cover was clean - no goop anywhere. Regarding the breather hose is this the hose that comes off the top of the engine? Mine is not connected on the other end and has a diagonal cut across it. I checked the inside of this hose last night, as I had a small amount of the goop expelled in the same area. The hose was dry and didn’t have any sign of the goop. Any next steps / thoughts are appreciated.
Might be time for more pictures. The breather hose is not normally attached to anything on the open end, but should be close to the spark arrester. I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
JRT / Tom J - checked the inside of the engine cover / steps and it’s in good shape - nothing that could create the goop. I took of the breather hose and found the goo inside near the outlet. See photo - appreciate any thoughts.
Maybe take the hose off and flush it out, reinstall it and make sure the open end is near the spark arrester (air cleaner). During normal operation of the engine, pressure builds up in the crankcase from blow by and this pressure is released through the breather hose. Vapors from the hot oil are expelled through the hose and sucked into the engine intake to be burned with the fuel/air mixture.
On your engine, it appears this process is not happening, and the oil vapors are mixing with ambient moisture to form a plug that gets expelled when the crankcase pressure builds up. If there is a low spot in the hose between the engine and the open end of the hose, the oil vapors will condense and form a puddle, leading to a plug.
This all assumes that the oil you see on the dipstick is clear, and not milky looking. That would be a whole different can of worms.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
JRT / Tom J - checked the inside of the engine cover / steps and it’s in good shape - nothing that could create the goop. I took of the breather hose and found the goo inside near the outlet. See photo - appreciate any thoughts.
[/QUOT
Thanks Tom. I cleaned out the hose earlier today and replaced it in same area. See attached photo - is this the correct location? I’ll be down at the boat tomorrow and will recheck the oil - just changed at start of the season.
I think I see the problem. The open end of the hose is about a foot away from the spark arrester. It should be touching the foam around the spark arrester so that the fumes are sucked into the engine.

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks Tom - headed over tomorrow and will reposition. I noticed previously that the foam is oil soaked - is that a normal condition? Is this another item that needs replacement? Thanks.